Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP hardware in late-2014 builds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at an S85, built in Nov 2014, that appears to have the AP hardware (from the picture of the front end below the nose cone) but according to the Monroney (window sticker) the car does not have AP activated. Is AP hardware included with all cars built at that time? I heard/read it was mid- to late-2014 when that became standard.

If it means anything, the car has Tech Package with the listed cost of $4250.

Thanks for the help.

The AP hardware was installed as of approx. end of September 2014, but activation of AP features was a separate option, although at first it was "Tech package with Autopilot". If your tech package does not include the AP features, you can pay Tesla for separately activating the features, since you would have the hardware (no changes to AP hardware since launch).

You can call Tesla to activate, or buy online I think, it's $3,000 to turn it on.

** if the car has the hardware.

all cars after a certain date have the hardware.

I'd like to know if you have to take it to them, or they can turn it on OTA...

The AP hardware was installed as of approx. end of September 2014, but activation of AP features was a separate option, although at first it was "Tech package with Autopilot". If your tech package does not include the AP features, you can pay Tesla for separately activating the features, since you would have the hardware (no changes to AP hardware since launch).

Er, that's close. When AP hardware started getting installed on cars in late 2014, it was fully activated for all cars that had the tech package. These cars would (I believe) have the wording "tech package with autopilot" on the sticker, spec sheet, etc. It sounds like this is the situation the OP was asking about.

When the Model S options were shuffled around in April-ish 2015, the tech package went away, and the various options that were a part of the tech package were made part of the base configuration or moved into other packages. The autosteering and TACC features were made a part of the "autopilot convenience features" package, and that's the thing that can be activated for $3000 post-sale.

Bottom line: To the best of my knowledge, any car that has the AP hardware and the tech package (a.k.a. "Tech package with Autopilot") has all of the autopilot features fully enabled, including autosteer and TACC. (This includes my Model S 85D, which was configured in March 2015 just before the options shuffling, built in April 2015, and delivered in May 2015.)

Bruce.

As far as i read, look for the sensors on the pictures. There should be 6 at the rear bumper, and side sensors at the front. And if you can see the square at the lower front grill and obviously the camera. Most of the time the pictures suck, as if they've taken it with a 2005 cell phone. Just ask for better/good ones. I found that not even all the dealers know/care which hardware is there.

I ordered mine in late 2014, and Tesla offered an upgrade to the tech package for people whose cars were being built with AP hardware but ordered before autopilot was officially released. The price was $4250 (vs $3750 for Tech package by itself) and is labeled Tech Package with Autopilot on order.
upload_2016-4-15_19-41-35.png

Reactions: BEEZR
I'm looking at an S85, built in Nov 2014, that appears to have the AP hardware (from the picture of the front end below the nose cone) but according to the Monroney (window sticker) the car does not have AP activated. Is AP hardware included with all cars built at that time? I heard/read it was mid- to late-2014 when that became standard.

If it means anything, the car has Tech Package with the listed cost of $4250.

Thanks for the help.

As you can probably add up from the various answers above, a November 2014 build which lists the $4250 Tech package as you described should have full Autopilot functionality if it has been updated to the latest firmware.
Walter

Just to give you another data point, I ordered my MS in July, 2014 and took delivery on Oct. 14, 2014. Another fellow in the local Tesla Club got his MS in September, a month before I got mine. My MS came with AP hardware, his did not, though we both had ordered the tech package.

As you can probably add up from the various answers above, a November 2014 build which lists the $4250 Tech package as you described should have full Autopilot functionality if it has been updated to the latest firmware.
Walter

On the Oct, Nov, Dec 2014 builds. This is correct. Because the car paid for tech package at the time auto pilot is essentially free or included in the cost of the tech package since it wasnt a real option.

On the early 2015s and up. The cars who can call and pay for it to be turned on would of had autopilot as a listed option when built. The newer cars were still built with the hardware, it just wasn't enabled if the individual auto pilot option wasn't paid for when the car was built.

It kind of makes the older ones a better deal if you can find them for the few months they existed.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash