Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/HW2 Vehicles Receiving AP/HW3 Retrofit! (says my SC :/)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment for my 2017 P100D MX on Tuesday about a strange vibrating noise sometimes when accelerating and regenerative breaking not working even in good conditions. (If anyone has any info on those please link them!) But at the bottom of my requests I asked about the HW3 retrofit. I haven't seen anyone online post about their HW2 (not 2.5) car being upgraded but according to my service center they have done them. But we all know how Tesla service is, so take it with a grain of salt! And yes I have a reminder in my phone to text again in a month! ;)

IMG_5358.PNG

The SC probably are reading “HW2 vehicles” as any car that has newer-than-AP1 hardware and not distinguishing between AP2 or MCU1+AP2.5 or MCU2+AP2.5 or MCU2+AP3.

This just shows Tesla is a ways away from equipping service centers from upgrading all the earliest adopters of FSD back in 2016 and 2017. Should’ve taken the $$$ paid for FSD back then and threw it in TSLA instead...

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
I have an appointment for my 2017 P100D MX on Tuesday about a strange vibrating noise sometimes when accelerating and regenerative breaking not working even in good conditions. (If anyone has any info on those please link them!) But at the bottom of my requests I asked about the HW3 retrofit. I haven't seen anyone online post about their HW2 (not 2.5) car being upgraded but according to my service center they have done them. But we all know how Tesla service is, so take it with a grain of salt! And yes I have a reminder in my phone to text again in a month! ;)

View attachment 516340
Text again and ask about “2.0.” You will get a different answer if the respondent bothers to think before answering.

Our 2018 X 100D (MCU2/AP2.5) was upgraded this week by a mobile service van this week to the new AP processor.

When I checked with the local service center about our 2017 S 100D (MCU1/AP2), they indicated our vehicle's VIN is not yet eligible for the upgrade.

But, they also said Tesla would not notify owners when their vehicles were eligible - and that proved incorrect since a week later we got an e-mail telling us our 2018 X was eligible.

Until someone confirms they've had their MCU1 vehicle upgraded, wouldn't count on anything we hear from Tesla phone, store, gallery, or service center staff - they've often been incorrect.

Yesterday, I tried scheduling a service call to upgrade my AP2.0 Model X (delivery May 2017). I first received a text that the upgrade is being rolled out by model and region and not yet available for my vehicle. I sent a follow up text and asked if the hardware is even in existence? I received this "We have not yet seen any 2.0 vehicles get the update just yet. I am not sure if we have started to perform the update elsewhere or not".

Based on the above I am assuming no cars have been upgraded and there has been no communication to the service centers.

I didn't care much about the upgrade from AP 2.0 when it didn't give me much benefit, but now that I see some new features that I paid for and don't have access to I am getting frustrated. Worse is the lack of communication. I would guess that someone at Tesla is in charge of a project plan that includes a timeline for getting AP 2.0 vehicles upgraded to use the current AP features. What is this timeline suggest? And why is it a secret?

Reactions: Shaz and pilotSteve
The timeline is listed on the Infotainment Upgrade and FSD pages.

Note that purchasing the Infotainment Upgrade loses AM/FM/HD Radio/XM (unless Tesla will separately allow owners to purchase an upgrade to the MCU2 radio).

Hi Bob,

Your post relates to an upgrade from MCU 1 to MCU 2 (cost of $2,500). I am interested in an upgrade from AP 2.0 to AP 3.0, which I have already paid for. The two upgrades are separate and not related

Hi Bob,

Your post relates to an upgrade from MCU 1 to MCU 2 (cost of $2,500). I am interested in an upgrade from AP 2.0 to AP 3.0, which I have already paid for. The two upgrades are separate and not related

The "Expected Availability" for the AP 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade is listed as "Early April" worldwide in the bottom row of the chart below from Tesla's website.

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Screenshot_2020-03-07 Full Self-Driving Computer Installations.png