Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP in 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just consolidating all of my vids in the appropriate threads in this regard AP in 8.0:

thanks for these videos. In the one about the nags etc. I have two comments/questions. Is it possible that when you had to use the signal light to change lanes this resets the timing for holding the wheel? I.e. if you hadn't needed to change lanes is it possible the nag would have come sooner?
Secondly, I'm not sure if you have ruled out that there is any cumulative effect where you get nagged but respond before the final indicator and cut-off but after three such incidents it then disables auto pilot. I know you demonstrated the result of ignoring three warnings in a row but I'm not sure if you (or others) have proven that it does not track how many times you had to be reminded since the car started driving.

thanks for these videos. In the one about the nags etc. I have two comments/questions. Is it possible that when you had to use the signal light to change lanes this resets the timing for holding the wheel? I.e. if you hadn't needed to change lanes is it possible the nag would have come sooner?
Secondly, I'm not sure if you have ruled out that there is any cumulative effect where you get nagged but respond before the final indicator and cut-off but after three such incidents it then disables auto pilot. I know you demonstrated the result of ignoring three warnings in a row but I'm not sure if you (or others) have proven that it does not track how many times you had to be reminded since the car started driving.

(1) Turn signal still doesn't cancel the AP timer. Of course, if you move from a lane with nobody in front to a lane with someone in front, that does factor in and may clear the timer. But merely activating the turn stalk and executing an auto lane change does not delay or cancel a hold steering wheel alert.

(2) AP lockout happens in two circumstances in my testing: Either 3 double-beep alerts during the course of 1 hour, OR one escalated alert to the point that the car starts slowing itself down and muting your music completely.

Reactions: gpetti
(2) AP lockout happens in two circumstances in my testing: Either 3 double-beep alerts during the course of 1 hour, OR one escalated alert to the point that the car starts slowing itself down and muting your music completely.

I.e. there is one circumstance: 3 audible alerts/warnings. (That can either be one alert that you ignore and progresses to strike-out, or from three separate audible alerts in an hour.)

What I haven't heard anyone test is if the hour is a rolling hour or a clock hour. Can somebody start driving at 45 past an hour get one audible alert, and then get two more audible alerts in the next hour to see if it disables AP? (I assume it does, but you never know.)

Reactions: gpetti
That's interesting logic but it really doesn't apply to me. I wasn't reading a book or texting or doing anything but watching the road ahead. I totally missed the display notifications until I was locked out of the AP.
I guess I'm going to have to learn to "fight" the steering wheel constantly to keep this from happening.
Is it possible that you have limited peripheral vision?

I'm not trying to be snarky, it's a serious possibility. Sort of like color blindness, many people have it, and programmers often forget to take it into account.

My peripheral vision is pretty good according to my last eye exam. I have no trouble seeing the flashing white boarder while looking straight ahead down the road. It's actually pretty hard to miss.

Reactions: MP3Mike

chillaban is correct in his/her response! See the video of entitled "Autopilot 1.5 Fixes & Feedback" this shows the alternate scenario of 3 audible warnings NOT in the same warning session.

(1) Turn signal still doesn't cancel the AP timer. Of course, if you move from a lane with nobody in front to a lane with someone in front, that does factor in and may clear the timer. But merely activating the turn stalk and executing an auto lane change does not delay or cancel a hold steering wheel alert.

@chillaban - Great job responding and saving me some key strokes!

I.e. there is one circumstance: 3 audible alerts/warnings. (That can either be one alert that you ignore and progresses to strike-out, or from three separate audible alerts in an hour.)

What I haven't heard anyone test is if the hour is a rolling hour or a clock hour. Can somebody start driving at 45 past an hour get one audible alert, and then get two more audible alerts in the next hour to see if it disables AP? (I assume it does, but you never know.)

I didn't get a chance to test the "1 hour" limitation because I didnt have 2 hours to test my next road trip I will, but I would presume that the 1 hour is relative to the time you put it into drive and then is measured against that time, so if you put the car in drive at 3:05pm then 4:05pm the counter resets.

I have to get a video, but it seems like v8 has trouble when a lane is added or removed.

On my commute I have a single lane divided road. At points along the road they add in a passing lane for 1000 feet or so and then that lane merges back into the single lane. Maybe they reset all of the "learning" that it had done before, but v7 seemed to track the right lane marker when a lane was added. So far, with v8 the car will wander into the middle of the road as it widens to start the passing lane. Then it seems to find itself between lanes once the dashed lane dividers start, and in one case crossed the double yellow into what would be oncoming traffic. (no traffic on the road, so I let it go to see what it would do. I did take control once it crossed the double yellow.)

Same wandering happens when a lane is removed from the road, the car will wander into the new bigger lane that narrows instead of tracking the right side lane marker.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?

One thing I noticed that I haven't seem mentioned is that while traveling in the HOV lane on I-405 N under ~10 mph with autopilot on, the car seemed to hug the left side of the lane, giving more of a gap for motorcyclists lane splitting.

I saw it happen multiple times, so I don't think it was a fluke. Anyone notice the same?

Is it possible that you have limited peripheral vision?

I'm not trying to be snarky, it's a serious possibility. Sort of like color blindness, many people have it, and programmers often forget to take it into account.

My peripheral vision is pretty good according to my last eye exam. I have no trouble seeing the flashing white boarder while looking straight ahead down the road. It's actually pretty hard to miss.
My peripheral vision is fine (according to my ophthalmologist).
I find that the view of reality through the windows is much superior to the cartoon view on the display so I only glance at the display occasionally. I must have missed all of the display warnings and there were no audible warnings before I was locked out.

I had an AP lockout yesterday with NO double-beep alerts and no music muting... it just went straight to the lockout. There may have been warnings on the display that I missed because I was watching the road through the windows but there were no audible warnings (no mute, no beeps).

By "wander into the new bigger lane" do you mean that it is trying to center itself in the lane? (Since that is what it is supposed to do.)

Exactly. v7 would track the right side lane marker (you would see on the display that the left marker would go away and the right marker would be blue.) Now it tries to center itself on the new wider lane to the point where the display will show neither lane marker. Then when the dashed lane dividers start the car sees that it is between lanes and tries to make sense of it. In one case so far that meant it swerved to the left and cut across the double yellow.

My peripheral vision is fine (according to my ophthalmologist).
I find that the view of reality through the windows is much superior to the cartoon view on the display so I only glance at the display occasionally. I must have missed all of the display warnings and there were no audible warnings before I was locked out.
Maybe you did not miss the early warnings and for some reason the warning jumped straight to critical?

Have you noticed the first flashing screen on other occasions while looking at the road only? You should not have to look at the dash to notice the pulsing white on the screen.

I definitely agree there should be some sort of audio warning before full lock out. I've never let it go past the flashing screen stage, so I did notice the audio warning was removed.

Reactions: davidc18
My car had a really hard time finding lanes it used to have no problem finding before.
Many cartoon cars were shown over their line when they weren't.
Lane change is much more responsive but seems more dangerous as getting very close to cars in front of me when changing lanes.
I'm not sure radar is better...
But we agreed to "BETA"

I had an AP lockout yesterday with NO double-beep alerts and no music muting... it just went straight to the lockout. There may have been warnings on the display that I missed because I was watching the road through the windows but there were no audible warnings (no mute, no beeps).

See if you can reproduce it, to see if it was a fluke or a legit bug, I've never NOT heard the beeps when I ignore the warnings.

See if you can reproduce it, to see if it was a fluke or a legit bug, I've never NOT heard the beeps when I ignore the warnings.
I'll try to test it again and definitely pay attention to the display, radio, etc. to see if I can sort out what really happened. I'm beginning to doubt my recollection of events. When it happened, the first thing I remember is the red flashing screen and AP lockout... could I have ignored all the other warnings? I was paying attention to the road with my hands on the wheel (loosely, not fighting it).

Reactions: davidc18

If you let it beep twice for the first two alerts, it still won't disable, so in that case it would take five audible alerts using your math.

It is a rolling hour. I have arrived at the disabled prompt in the circumstances you describe in your second paragraph.

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ
If you let it beep twice for the first two alerts, it still won't disable, so in that case it would take five audible alerts using your math.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Three audible alerts and you strike out no matter how they come:
  • Display warning, Flashing border, double beep, move steering wheel = One Strike
  • Drive more on AP
  • Display warning, Flashing border, double beep, move steering wheel = Two Strikes
  • Drive more on AP
  • Display warning, Flashing border, double beep, move steering wheel = Three Strikes = AP disabled.
OR
  • Display warning, Flashing border, double beep, ignored = One Strike
  • Double double beep, ignored = Two strikes
  • Triple double beep = Three strikes = AP disabled
So technically you only get to ignore two audible warnings, not three.