Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP in 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Okay, here is some first hand experience in AP in 8.0.

You already know about the other enhancements, such as media so I'll not mention those here. But if you have specific Q's please ask. I'll keep this to things that are more qualitative (perhaps even opinion), i.e. my observations about 8.0, i.e. crap I haven't read on the internet so far.

As background, I tested this on a city freeway (DC 495 loop), in commute hour (speeds varying from 60 to 0), and non commute hour.

1. AP in 8.0 is noticeably better. I struggled with the right word here, significantly seemed too much. Marginally sounded too little. You'll notice the improvements for sure. As an example, in my 35-40ish mins on the freeway in traffic,
a) The car slowed down very smoothly, like I would hit the brakes, Even in the city the slow down felt a lot more natural.
b) It stayed within lanes a lot better, no bouncing between lanes, no stepping over the lane.
c) I felt a lot more confident or assured even in thick traffic at 60mph that I was safe. With cars literally 6 feet away from me, changing lanes in front of me and behind, AP behaved perfectly.

2. The nags. I am happy to report that I saw much fewer nags. I have driven this road at this time MANY times, so I can say that the nags were a lot less frequent. 495 has lots of turns, so I'd get maybe 10 nags pre 8.0. Post 8.0, I got 3.

3. When it says "Hold steering", i.e. the nag, I did not notice the 5 minute/3 minute/1minute stuff I've read elsewhere in the internet. I did note however (anecdotally), that if there were more cars around me, or someone cut me off dangerously, the car would say "hold steering". Time didn't seem to have a bearing, at least not in my initial test. I'll keep an eye on it though in future tests. A straight stretch didn't seem to give me as many nags, and yes I went almost 15 minutes without a nag, and without my hands on the wheel (I was being safe, plus you're not my mom).

4. When I did get the nag, I put my hands on the wheel, thereby triggering the torque sensor. At all times, the nag was "hold steering wheel" and a white border around the smaller screen. After 3 nags, I was NOT locked out. So I think it's if you completely ignore the nag ... or perhaps .. if there is an audible nag afterwards - I didn't go that far.

HTH

You already know about the other enhancements, such as media so I'll not mention those here. But if you have specific Q's please ask. I'll keep this to things that are more qualitative (perhaps even opinion), i.e. my observations about 8.0, i.e. crap I haven't read on the internet so far.

As background, I tested this on a city freeway (DC 495 loop), in commute hour (speeds varying from 60 to 0), and non commute hour.

1. AP in 8.0 is noticeably better. I struggled with the right word here, significantly seemed too much. Marginally sounded too little. You'll notice the improvements for sure. As an example, in my 35-40ish mins on the freeway in traffic,
a) The car slowed down very smoothly, like I would hit the brakes, Even in the city the slow down felt a lot more natural.
b) It stayed within lanes a lot better, no bouncing between lanes, no stepping over the lane.
c) I felt a lot more confident or assured even in thick traffic at 60mph that I was safe. With cars literally 6 feet away from me, changing lanes in front of me and behind, AP behaved perfectly.

2. The nags. I am happy to report that I saw much fewer nags. I have driven this road at this time MANY times, so I can say that the nags were a lot less frequent. 495 has lots of turns, so I'd get maybe 10 nags pre 8.0. Post 8.0, I got 3.

3. When it says "Hold steering", i.e. the nag, I did not notice the 5 minute/3 minute/1minute stuff I've read elsewhere in the internet. I did note however (anecdotally), that if there were more cars around me, or someone cut me off dangerously, the car would say "hold steering". Time didn't seem to have a bearing, at least not in my initial test. I'll keep an eye on it though in future tests. A straight stretch didn't seem to give me as many nags, and yes I went almost 15 minutes without a nag, and without my hands on the wheel (I was being safe, plus you're not my mom).

4. When I did get the nag, I put my hands on the wheel, thereby triggering the torque sensor. At all times, the nag was "hold steering wheel" and a white border around the smaller screen. After 3 nags, I was NOT locked out. So I think it's if you completely ignore the nag ... or perhaps .. if there is an audible nag afterwards - I didn't go that far.

HTH

Very glad to hear it's 3 second-level nags that lock you out (three first nags would be way too early). In fact I'd venture that even two second level nags should lock you for the good of society.

Any better handling of going over hills?

(I have 8.0 but haven't had a chance to drive around on the highway...)

HTH

There is an audible alert after you ignore the pulsating IC (which starts like 1 pulse/sec and gets faster to something like 3 pulses/sec). I'd say it pulsates for about 10 seconds before the audible alert is fired. And I believe this audible alert counts against the 3 "ignore me" counter per hour.
I have to say that it is hard to not notice the flashing IC, even with the eyes on the road. Might be the novelty-factor, but I think Tesla found a good way to visually signal the need for "hands to the wheel".

Last edited:

HTH

Very informative. Finally someone comments on the nags/warnings and whether or not AP was disabled...

Reactions: gsxdsm and mdevp
Thank you. That answers many questions for me. I was thinking more along ignore warning for a minute, re-set next warning etc..........
This makes more sense and I have no problem at all with the safety addition 8.0.
I cannot see myself getting the msg. at any time, other than falling asleep maybe which I have never done

Reactions: gsxdsm
I just did a quick video to show an instance of the interval of nag also shows what happens when you ignore the BEEPS.
Thank you for posting that, very helpful.

I have a question about something I see in your recent AP videos that I don't recall anyone else commenting on: I see frequently colored dots appearing on your display, they appear to start from the upper right or left corner of the display and arc downward toward the bottom in the center. Are they reflections from street lights? Thanks.

HTH

I noticed the same things, although I'd use "significant" to describe my feelings on the improvements!

Reactions: decrypt

HTH

This is what I was looking for.... thank you!!!!!!

I agree with @Sir Guacamolaf, so far nominal improvements in AP in general. Lane keeping seems to be much smoother and changes in speed is noticeably smoother (especially in slower traffic.) The flashing-white-ring-of-warning is actually quite good at getting your attention and I found it wasn't an annoyance at all.

Reactions: decrypt
Ok, this doesn't seem bad at all. Granted, my car has never left me alone for THAT long, even in smooth sailing conditions. My only question left then, and for technical purposes, is: can you trigger an infinite number of primary and secondary nags in a trip without lockout? And I say technical, because after seeing the initial warning of just the flash before any audible signal, you'd have to literally be asleep to hit the secondary chime.

And I say technical, because after seeing the initial warning of just the flash before any audible signal, you'd have to literally be asleep to hit the secondary chime.

Technically the initial warning is the little box at the center bottom of the IC that says "Hold the steering wheel", the secondary warning is the flashing border, and the tertiary warning is the audible double chime.

Reactions: Mickie
Technically the initial warning is the little box at the center bottom of the IC that says "Hold the steering wheel", the secondary warning is the flashing border, and the tertiary warning is the audible double chime.
I'm a lot less freaked out about updating now. Honestly my AP nags me to no end on 7.1 so I can't see this getting any worse, only possibly better as some note.

I just had it in my head that I'd get booted off AP if I triggered 3 initial/ secondary 7.1 nags–period–which I can do in no time flat, rendering AP a useless feature. I think this was a lot of people's fear, including my own, and I now see it's a nonissue.