Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP lane position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please do not use the words "left" and "right", because they are meaningless by themselves, as long as the reader does not know whether you mean left-hand traffic or right-hand traffic. Sure, if I analyze the text long enough, I can probably find out, but you and everybody else can make this easier by referring to the edge of the road, the centerline, the passing lane, the shoulder, the driver side, etc.

If I was posting on an international area of the forum I would indeed describe things differently. This is the UK and Ireland section and we all drive on the same side of the road ... so, no confusion!

Please do not use the words "left" and "right", because they are meaningless by themselves, as long as the reader does not know whether you mean left-hand traffic or right-hand traffic. Sure, if I analyze the text long enough, I can probably find out, but you and everybody else can make this easier by referring to the edge of the road, the centerline, the passing lane, the shoulder, the driver side, etc.

Given that everyone on this forum drives a right hand drive car, and will understand that left means the nearside, then I can't see the problem. Perhaps worth remembering that here in the UK and Ireland (this is the UK and Ireland forum) we drive on the left hand side of the road and have cars with steering wheels on the right. . .

If posting on a forum outwith the UK or Ireland then I would tend to agree with you, but here the meaning of left and right in the context of driving is unambiguous.

You probably are!

My opinion is that there is no set position within the lane that should apply at all times. If travelling on a motorway with heavy vehicles in a lane to your left then it seems best to drive slightly to the right within your own lane to allow extra space ... of course when checking mirrors you may see traffic coming up on the right lane behind you and it would then be best to move more centrally within your own lane. I'm sure many/most human drivers do this kind of thing all the time varying position to give optimum clearance. If going outside the strict Autopilot parameters and experimenting on single carriageways then you are going to position slightly left of your lane if there's approaching traffic and if there's enough width to play with ... and if the potholes and crumbling road edge on your left allows it! The fact that Autopilot doesn't currently do this kind of thing adds too much tension to a journey for me to use it routinely.
Autopilot already does some of this, if you are passing a particularly wide vehicle it will move further to the right of your lane if it's safe.

What's expected behaviour when there's a car parked half on the kerb on LHS? I don't think non fsd ap is meant to steer around it, but will it stop in the case of a potential collision? I've never dared find out.

It will probably do the "make the visualisation go red, make lots of noise and slam the brakes on thing". Mine seems to do this with monotonous regularity when it wrongly senses an obstruction to the front and left.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Obliter8
It will probably do the "make the visualisation go red, make lots of noise and slam the brakes on thing". Mine seems to do this with monotonous regularity when it wrongly senses an obstruction to the front and left.

Sounds likely. When there is space in the lane without crossing the median, but safe passing would need a nudge to the right, should this happen or am I expecting too much?

What's expected behaviour when there's a car parked half on the kerb on LHS? I don't think non fsd ap is meant to steer around it, but will it stop in the case of a potential collision? I've never dared find out.

You are expecting too much - any evasive behaviour is purely coincidental - see post #6 in the link below an excerpt from page 106 (as of 2020.44) of the manual. It would be rare to find this situation on the type of roads supported by autosteer/lane keep assist. There is a recent video posted on here where the poster side swiped a vehicle in exactly that case. I can't recall them getting much sympathy.

Side Swiped a Taxi on Autopilot

Last edited:
The expected behavior is as per the manual
upload_2021-1-14_9-14-51.png

This is a situation that Autopilot currently doesn't handle very well..

If the vehicle parked on the kerb is parked further into the road, autopilot will usually just stop behind it as it has no way to know if it's a parked car or a car stopped in traffic, but if the vehicle is parked further onto the kerb (more out of the road), autopilot will usually just ignore it and can sometimes get dangerously close to them when passing! I usually disengage autopilot in situations like this and steer around them manually.

As others have stated Autopilot is not really designed to drive on these kinds of roads with parked traffic, but it does work well in most situations, but you do need to be aware and monitor it and be ready to take over if a situation like this arises. It's not full self driving! (Yet!)

Reactions: Ricecooker
Ever since the AP suddenly steered my car up an off-slip on the M6 (I was not indicating or anything like that) I have never used it and am never likely to! IMO the chances of ever having it sufficiently reliable on UK roads is nil.
With the recent announcement of an expansion into India, I look forward to seeing how Autopilot performs there.

Ever since the AP suddenly steered my car up an off-slip on the M6 (I was not indicating or anything like that) I have never used it and am never likely to! IMO the chances of ever having it sufficiently reliable on UK roads is nil.

I've had that once. See the positive side. It may occasionally go the wrong way, but it does so safely. :)

In my case I simply took over and kept it on my intended track. What you learn from such an incident is that the manual says to be alert and keep your hands on the steering wheel for a reason. What you shouldn't learn is that the autopilot is useless. It is quite useful, in my view.

With the recent announcement of an expansion into India, I look forward to seeing how Autopilot performs there.

I went to a friends wedding in India about 10 years ago or so and found driving there pretty straight forward.

Step 1. Sound horn constantly
Step 2. Drive in direction you wish to travel regardless of ground condition or obstacles.

Done. Admittedly it was a proper outback village type area with no main roads, but it was absoloutely mental and by the end of the day I was mentally exhausted.

Still one of my best holidays ever mind.

What you learn from such an incident is that the manual says to be alert and keep your hands on the steering wheel for a reason. What you shouldn't learn is that the autopilot is useless. It is quite useful, in my view.

Yup - well I have driven over 500,000 miles in my life and never exited the motorway unintentionally. If I am paying attention all the time I may as well drive.

Reactions: Ricecooker
To confirm that the car is central on a marked road, turn the camera on manually with three camera view active and look at the lanes markings on the two side cameras as you’re moving forward (obviously when it’s safe to do so) or look at it when you’re stationary using dash-cam viewer (that’s harder than live because of the layout). You’ll see that the lines are equidistant and form a perfect vee. What most drivers think is centre of the lane isn’t and you’ll see they you tend to manually drive off-centre and probably have done for years. Whilst I’m not a commercial driver, I have held a Class C licence for my American RV for a couple of years. I was taught to do this in the mirrors as part of the training. Even so, back in the car, the test above still proved I drove the Model 3 off-centre.

There was one update last year (2020) which I definitely felt drove too much to the left but it was short lived and I never proved it definitively but all other times, the car definitely sits itself centre with the above test.

[typing this now has me wondering and I’ve just accepted it for ages so I hope I don’t try it tomorrow and have to eat my words!]

Yup - well I have driven over 500,000 miles in my life and never exited the motorway unintentionally. If I am paying attention all the time I may as well drive.

In my case (only one since I have the car) it was in southern Italy in a place where a human would also have to look twice where to go.

But the general question is, does the autopilot make driving more convenient, not to mention safer, even though I have to watch over it? For me the answer is clearly yes. There are long stretches of road where I perceive it as a relief not to have to constantly keep the car in its lane. The autopilot also does it better. Humans always swing left and right. The autopilot doesn't, or it does it to a much lesser extent, usually unnoticeable. Humans also have difficulties to concentrate for a long time.

One day I may create a poll, asking how many of us here drive mostly on autopilot where possible and how many avoid it. But I think I know the answer already.