Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP nanny defeated by....an orange?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, all you have to do is keep weight on the steering wheel? All this time I've been regularly applying torque.

You do need to apply torque, but putting the orange (or water bottle or coke can or whatever) on one side of the wheel throws off the balance enough so it’s always trying to turn and applies enough torque to satisfy the sensor.

In the almost 19,000 miles we have put on our MS so far, the AP has given me lots and lots of warnings when my hand was actually holding the steering wheel. I would then squeeze with both hands on various locations all over the wheel to get it to turn off the warning. Several times it has terminated AP and would not work again. Eventually I pulled off the freeway, parked, then got out so it would turn off before getting back in and starting over.

Eventually I talked to a Tesla rep who told me that it was not pressure on the steering wheel, but resistance in turning the wheel. We need to exert counter pressure to the AP for it to know we are in control.

Now with the orange I am not sure how counter pressure is achieved unless the weight is enough to resister. Oh, well.

Now with the orange I am not sure how counter pressure is achieved unless the weight is enough to resister. Oh, well.

You know how the wheel "bounces around" when AP is engaged constantly hunting and staying centred in the lane. With the orange on the wheel like this I assume when the wheel moves to the right the orange has just enough weight to satisfy the sensors into thinking your hand is on there and guiding the wheel a bit.