Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP noise during stop and go traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started hearing a sound when AP is active and braking is applied in stop and go traffic. It's subtle, sounds like it's coming from the brake and gas pedals area, almost sounds like a slow rattle sound. Anyone else experience this?

I started hearing a sound when AP is active and braking is applied in stop and go traffic. It's subtle, sounds like it's coming from the brake and gas pedals area, almost sounds like a slow rattle sound. Anyone else experience this?

I usually have this happen when I override TACC gently with the accelerator to pull up closer behind someone when stopped. If you lightly feather the accelerator just right, you can get the brake application (by TACC) to chatter. TACC really doesn’t like snuggling up to traffic in front at lights! It really wants you stopped.

Not sure if this is what is happening for you, but it is a vibrating chattering noise.

If it’s the noise I’m hearing, sounds like it’s rapidly but lightly hitting the brakes. It’s like a mildly version of what ABS sounds like when it engages in some cars.

AP seems to be rapidly swapping between go and stop to balance the distance in stop and go traffic and sometimes even just coming to a stop from driving at full speed especially if the car ahead didn’t smoothly brake themselves. It’s improved some over the last few updates but is still annoying.

craig