Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP on Model 3 ping-pong effect once engaged on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else see this issue where once AP is engaged the car goes from left to right intermittently while driving? It is rather annoying and i have started to see this on my S and now on my brand new Model 3 with HW3 delivery only a week old. So i know its not the car. I believe AP is really poor these past two releases. Another thing i see is when AP is engaged, even though i am centered in lane, it likes to pull to the left and then center it self and drive.

Thanks all!

I tend to drive toward the outside of my lane, to stay as far away as I can from the idiots coming the other direction. When I engage AP, I notice the pingpong as the car tries to center itself in the lane. This is rather disconcerting as the AP seems to be sending me right towards those idiots. There should be an option to maintain your lane placement rather than always trying to center the car.

I tend to drive toward the outside of my lane, to stay as far away as I can from the idiots coming the other direction. When I engage AP, I notice the pingpong as the car tries to center itself in the lane. This is rather disconcerting as the AP seems to be sending me right towards those idiots. There should be an option to maintain your lane placement rather than always trying to center the car.
Just imagine how they feel!

I posted this on another thread. I’ve tested over 100 miles and this solved the problem for me.

I was reading an article about the different reboot types for the Tesla. Basically, soft, hard and power off/reset. The power off method actually powers off pretty much everything in the car (it’s eerie not hearing anything while sitting in the car). I did a “Power Off” to see if it would help with the ping pong since I’ve tried everything else.

Go to the “Safety & Security” in settings. Press “POWER OFF” and wait at least two minutes (very important). You will start hearing things power down during that time. After at least two minutes, hit the brake to power on the car. This apparently reboots everything including the cameras and sensors.

On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.

Let me know! I’m very curious (and happy I didn’t get sick on NOA anymore)