Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP or Performance Model - which would you chose if only one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were buying a Model S for the first time and could only chose one due to budget, would you want a car with AP and no performance, or would the performance be more important?

I am finally at the point of buying my first Tesla and I'm so torn as to what I should buy. Granted, I'd love to simply go buy a P100DL, but I just am not at a point in my life where I can spend $100k on a car. I have 2 kids in college, and I pay 100% of the cost, outside of the scholarships they have received (no loans, no grants). But, I have waited 5 years now for a Tesla. I can't wait any longer. Now that they have finally began to drop below $50k for a decent used one, I'm ready to pull the trigger. But, I want to try my best to get one that I will truly love.

For me, it is the AP. The performance model is a nice trick (and a great car) but you actually get less range (which I care about) and I don't spend a lot of time doing jack rabbit starts and have never taken my car to a track. I use the car to drive every day and having autopilot makes that easier...it's a feature I use every day. And...my car accelerates plenty fast and I rarely floor it except to demo it to people anyway...

AP is more important for sure (to me). Also remember you can add Autopilot later for a fee. So if you can afford one now, but will be able to afford the other later on, you could buy performance and upgrade to AP later!

Performance. AP is a gimmick and can lull you into dangerous situations. I was using it last night and even though I was paying close attention and holding onto the steering wheel it came close to running me into a ditch.

AP isn't just one thing, but a package of features.

Some of those feature will be gimmicky for some, and essential for some.

For myself
The TACC is absolutely essential
The Lane-Steering is mildly useful, but I don't use it much. I think it requires more concentration to use it than not to use it.
The self-parking is too slow, and I don't trust it completely. I'll still use it in the right situation though.
The summons is occasionally useful.

Now this is with AP1. I strongly believe that EAP will be a massive improvement on all the above except for TACC because TACC is pretty great now.

Most Model S cars 90D or 100D have faster acceleration than can be used under normal driving conditions. The additional performance in the P100D is fantastic, but really not that useful for normal driving.

EAP is over a year behind Tesla's intended schedule for matching AP1 - though the software seems to be getting close, and should pass AP1 sometime this year, providing additional features using the increased processing power and additional sensors present in EAP.

Another factor between performance and non-performance models is range - in exchange for faster acceleration in performance models, you also get less range.

When we ordered our S 100 last year, we could have taken deliver of a P100D earlier than the 100D delivered in March. We decided to wait for the 100D because we couldn't justify spending extra $$$ for acceleration we wouldn't use - and shorter range.

AP isn't just one thing, but a package of features.

Some of those feature will be gimmicky for some, and essential for some.

For myself
The TACC is absolutely essential
The Lane-Steering is mildly useful, but I don't use it much. I think it requires more concentration to use it than not to use it.
The self-parking is too slow, and I don't trust it completely. I'll still use it in the right situation though.
The summons is occasionally useful.

Now this is with AP1. I strongly believe that EAP will be a massive improvement on all the above except for TACC because TACC is pretty great now.

My wife's Edge has adaptive cruise that is pretty impressive, as well as almost all cars these days (at least optional). Are you saying that's the only feature of AP you find useful?

Reactions: Eclectic
My wife's Edge has adaptive cruise that is pretty impressive, as well as almost all cars these days (at least optional). Are you saying that's the only feature of AP you find useful?

It's the only one I find absolutely essential. The rest I wouldn't really miss.

In fact I so strongly believe in adaptive cruise control that I think all cars should have it standard. Not only does it reduce stress of driving, but it also naturally results in greater distance between cars which is critical for safety.

AP. If you’re truly interested in performance, there are “slower” cars that have much better handling. That’s my idea of performance, at least. While the Tesla is quick and relatively nimble for its size, it ain’t no Ferrari or Porsche.

Depends which models you're comparing. For example, I wouldn't take a 60 with autopilot over a P100DL without AP. Also depends if it is your "daily driver" or weekender.

well, I'm assuming he is saying they are close to the same price. In your example I'd whip out my credit card very fast to add AP if you gave me the P100D that didn't have AP enabled (since I just saved tens of thousands of dollars on the great deal you gave me, I'd feel like I could afford an AP activation fee).

as another comparison I'd take a Model 3 with AP over the newest possible Model S that is P85 trim with no AP (a mid 2014 CPO with low miles and trim to keep the price similar to the model 3).

Last edited: