Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP or Performance Model - which would you chose if only one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP for sure. Lane keeping on freeways is great. I use it everyday commuting. I just got a 2014 S85 and I find the acceleration to be plenty fun (5.4 sec 0-60). Insurance on Tesla is expensive and even more so on performance models.

It's the only one I find absolutely essential. The rest I wouldn't really miss.

In fact I so strongly believe in adaptive cruise control that I think all cars should have it standard. Not only does it reduce stress of driving, but it also naturally results in greater distance between cars which is critical for safety.
Agreed, and I'd go further.
I feel that the adaptive cruise on the Teslas is safer than driving manually, especially on the freeway.
The closest I ever come to an accident is when I'm late to notice sudden braking of cars in front during freeway driving. TACC basically adds a second set of eyes (and much faster reflexes) to my freeway driving.

If you were buying a Model S for the first time and could only chose one due to budget, would you want a car with AP and no performance, or would the performance be more important?

I am finally at the point of buying my first Tesla and I'm so torn as to what I should buy. Granted, I'd love to simply go buy a P100DL, but I just am not at a point in my life where I can spend $100k on a car. I have 2 kids in college, and I pay 100% of the cost, outside of the scholarships they have received (no loans, no grants). But, I have waited 5 years now for a Tesla. I can't wait any longer. Now that they have finally began to drop below $50k for a decent used one, I'm ready to pull the trigger. But, I want to try my best to get one that I will truly love.

AP but not FSD. A dual motor S is very quick and usable unlike the extra performance in P models

Easy. AP. Every time.

I drove every Tesla under the sun and lived with all sorts of versions for extended periods (ex employee).

Sure a 75D or 90/100D feels slow after just having a P100D for a week, but that is a skewed perspective. I now live with my own S75D (uncorked) and it is faaassst. But the AP? It revolutionises travel. Australia is a big place, and the AP allows me to cover a lot more distance per day. And I use it every single day when I need a little bit of extra safety if I were to look down for example and fiddle with the seatbelt or centre console etc.

Performance (acceleration and handling) hands down. IMO AP is way overhyped. I have it on one of the cars, rarely use it, didn't think it was worth $5K or $8K on the latest one - actually thought it could be a hazard for regular driver like my wife since you really have to watch AP and always be ready to take over in a split second (regardless of what people tell you here, even Tesla says so).

Ask it the other way around, if P100DL owner would have to lose AP or be downgraded to 5s 0-60, which one do you think they'd choose?

Performance, hands down. AP is a gimmick, it takes just as much effort to pay attention and baby sit the nags that pop-up as it does to just drive the car myself. Performance puts a smile on my face every time I floor it. AP just makes me pissed off at how worthless it is every time I use it.

Reactions: Eclectic
AutoPilot!

the non-p models are essentially at the performance limit already for what the construction of a Model S can manage. A 100D/75D got the sweet spot performance. The problem with a P100D is that there are no performance upgrades above the base models except bigger rear motor and power output from the battery. If it had rear axle steering, torque vectoring, adaptive chassis, bigger brakes (or ceramics), improved steering feel, etc, then it would be a different story. The performance models will give you a grin on your face the first weeks and when showing off to friends, but for 99% of the time in the car the performance of a base model is more than enough.

For me this would be such an easy choice, AutoPilot! I use that 80% of my commuting time, and you still get great acceleration. On a P without AP you get old-school cruise control at the cost of that extra bit of acceleration. Just to be clear you would get Summon, AutoPark, Adaptive cruise, Autosteer and proper hill hold.