Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP performance through dirty windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone observed worsening of autopilot accuracy as a result of a dirty windshield? I assume the forward camera and maybe some other sensors are integrated into the rear view mirror, so are you supposed to keep the windshield in front of it clean?

It rained on my drive into work today and I'm in a AP2.5 loaner. I noticed that at some points it was all over the road and I had to take over. These are pretty good, well-marked roads, so I blame it on the rain, possibly distorting the image. I would think dirt over the camera could be just as bad.

Has anyone observed worsening of autopilot accuracy as a result of a dirty windshield? I assume the forward camera and maybe some other sensors are integrated into the rear view mirror, so are you supposed to keep the windshield in front of it clean?

Yes. I didn’t clean the windshield for about 700 miles (didn’t want to smear the bugs with the wipers) and I noticed AP starting to bounce around in the lane. Cleaning the windshield restored AP’s stability within the lane. September ‘17 build X 75D.

Caveat: this vehicle was a rental, so not being very familiar with it, the changes in performance could have been due to any number of things, including the recent update that was pushed in the middle of that trip. That said, AP’s behavior didn’t seem particularly wandery before the update. Behavior seemed to deteriorate as the glass got dirtier.

Last edited:

I had one day (coincidentally after an update) where the car was all over the place. It was generally reliable, but on this day it didn't recognize lanes properly. It had a tendency to veer. It would suddenly disengage, and at other times didn't recognize cars in front. It was all very frustrating and perplexing and I was genuinely getting pissed. Then my wife set me over the edge when she said "Did you try cleaning the windshield?"

I angrily replied that I doubt it'd make a difference and told her the latest software update MUST have screwed something up. I hit the washers to prove it...

:oops:

Have I mentioned my wife is infinitely smarter than I am?
So yes, keep it clean.

Reactions: DriverOne