TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP + Potholes

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by flamingoezz, Feb 20, 2017.

1. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

Does autopilot looks for and try to avoid potholes or does it just try to keep you on the road?

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

There is no pothole avoidance yet in either AP1 or AP2.

3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

My AP1 seems to head right for the potholes. I think that's because they tend to form in the usual traffic lanes. This winter the potholes have grown like weeds so I've stopped using AP on local roads so I can steer around the them.

• Informative x 1
  4. CrazyRider55

CrazyRider55 Member

yeah. were prone to drive on potholes during winter.

5. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

hopefully they can work that out in AP2. rolling around on potholes with 20" wheels doesn't sound ideal o_O

6. number12

number12 Active Member

Pot hole avoidance. Top 5 reasons Full self driving (no driver in car) is years away.

7. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I wonder how difficult pothole avoidance is? The more I think about it, the more difficult I see that problem. You can't just go by something like a color difference, as that could just as easily be a patch or stain as a pothole.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud. As long as it's done safely, there's not much concern in avoiding something that is harmless (but I suppose that "safely" thing is part of the trick).

8. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Rock avoidance is also an issue. Recently I came across a boulder that had fallen on the road as I rounded a curve. Do you panic stop? Swerve into the oncoming lane, traffic permitting? I expect that with large rocks AP will just brake. But what about the smaller rocks that I routinely see and realize that I can safely straddle? Braking for every little rock could become a problem. Here in the Mountain West they don't call our mountains the "Rockies" for nothing... Winter and Spring is rock season here due to freeze/thaw.

(I swerved around the rock since there was no traffic in the oncoming lane. I then turned around and went back to deal with it but someone else had stopped — emergency flashers on — and was sliding it off the road as best he could.)

9. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

A year and a half on the same road, same pothole, no avoidance in AP1.

keep trying to get them to detect and respond, but seems they never get the data returned integrated to augment the path of the car on that stretch of road.

10. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Yup. Here is another great example: you see newspaper flying around the road in your path. You know it is not sheet metal, and continue through it.

11. KrenGrl

KrenGrl Member

It would be better if the governments would just fix the roads. Pretty soon I can imagine seeing a new notification pop up on the Tesla screen...... "WARNING, smooth road ahead" :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  12. DougH

DougH Active Member

Can you imagine AP slamming on the brakes or swerving and hitting something to avoid a pothole or something that it thinks is a pothole.

What a nightmare.