Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP sees the sun as a Red traffic light at dusk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot bug - driving on freeway at dusk, facing the sun at 65 mph. Sun in sky is a small red disk above horizon, roughly at “right height” of traffic light above the road surface. Red due to smoke from SoCal fires. Sun disk size is about size of traffic light at about 100 ft from an intersection. AP interprets the sun as Red Traffic light, slows down car and displays the traffic light icon on display. How do I report this to Tesla? Version 2020.36.3.1. Traffic light icon shown several times with a Red light indicated !

Autopilot bug - driving on freeway at dusk, facing the sun at 65 mph. Sun in sky is a small red disk above horizon, roughly at “right height” of traffic light above the road surface. Red due to smoke from SoCal fires. Sun disk size is about size of traffic light at about 100 ft from an intersection. AP interprets the sun as Red Traffic light, slows down car and displays the traffic light icon on display. How do I report this to Tesla? Version 2020.36.3.1. Traffic light icon shown several times with a Red light indicated !

Activate voice control and say, "Bug Report, AutoPilot sees the sun as a red light at dusk"

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and emmz0r
The car slowed down in same way as it does when approaching an intersection with red light. Was not abrupt but gradual. See the photo I took while still under AP control. The red sun is straight in from of my lane

Attachments

• 97555328-9685-4DA5-BD76-599B865D8918.jpeg
    97555328-9685-4DA5-BD76-599B865D8918.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: KenC
The mothership is collecting vast amounts of data to model the real world to improve Autopilot and FSD. It took a couple of days for my car to recognize the big Stop Sign ahead sign I pass everyday as not being a stop sign. But that info is now in the database and is being refined every minute of every day. The 2020.36 update is significant.
Amazing Stuff!

Yep, was stopped at lights facing the sun in Seattle yesterday evening and it was picking up the sun as a third traffic light - kept switching between yellow and red (as I guess the orange fell in between them).

once I started moving it disappeared, so I guess the software was basing it on the fact there were other lights either side of it so classifying it as a light too.

The car slowed down in same way as it does when approaching an intersection with red light. Was not abrupt but gradual. See the photo I took while still under AP control. The red sun is straight in from of my lane
Not to worry... you've got plenty of time. That light is about 93 million miles away.

edit: First semi-clear day today here in Silicon Valley. The luminosity outside is finally back to blue-shifted light, instead of the orangey / reddish / brownish yuck we've been seeing the past 4 to 5 days.

Brilliant, so how do you submit a bug report then?

In general- you don't.

(consider the complexity of the car- and the size of the current and every growing fleet- and how many people they'd need to do nothing but sift through bug reports all day every day if they actually took real-time user initiated feedback from every vehicle--- for example there's folks who use that feature (thinking it goes somewhere) every time the nav gets a speed limit wrong)

But if you think there's something specifically wrong with your car you can open a service ticket via the Tesla app. If you're experiencing a legitimate software issue they are previously unaware of then it should get reported up the chain by service.

What that "bug report" feature on the car basically does is bookmark the logs at the time you trigger it, and stores it locally, so the service center can see what was going on at the time you did the report to determine if there's a real issue and if so what it might be.

Last edited:
In general- you don't.

(consider the complexity of the car- and the size of the current and every growing fleet- and how many people they'd need to do nothing but sift through bug reports all day every day if they actually took real-time user initiated feedback from every vehicle--- for example there's folks who use that feature (thinking it goes somewhere) every time the nav gets a speed limit wrong)

But if you think there's something specifically wrong with your car you can open a service ticket via the Tesla app. If you're experiencing a legitimate software issue they are previously unaware of then it should get reported up the chain by service.

What that "bug report" feature on the car basically does is bookmark the logs at the time you trigger it, and stores it locally, so the service center can see what was going on at the time you did the report to determine if there's a real issue and if so what it might be.

My understanding is that filing the voice command bug report, while it may seem futile to the user, is actually tagging that episode for the next upload to the ML system at Tesla. Consistent reports on similar issues get flagged for human review. I've had lengthy discussions about this with SC managers I know well and have owned Tesla's since 2012. But if you think you know better then so be it. ;-)

My understanding is that filing the voice command bug report, while it may seem futile to the user, is actually tagging that episode for the next upload to the ML system at Tesla.

It's not.

My
Consistent reports on similar issues get flagged for human review. I've had lengthy discussions about this with SC managers I know well and have owned Tesla's since 2012. But if you think you know better then so be it. ;-)

Guys with root access to the computer systems have confirmed those don't get sent anywhere- including greentheonly for example. And a number of OTHER Tesla service center employees over the years have confirmed what I'm telling you.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1257330452853129217

Bunch of posts about it here (including a screenshot of actual logs stored locally) but the most relevant info seems to be this:

Green said:
they are stored in the car and then your service center pull the report if you ask them to look at them. I've no seen any proactive report fetching.

So as I said stored locally- and accessible if you open a service ticket. They don't get automatically "sent" anywhere and there's nobody whose job it is to sort through what at this point would be millions of reports a year to find important ones.

If you wanna believe your one random dude at a service center (and there's hundreds of posts of such employees making up otherwise debunked nonsense over the years) instead of OTHER people at service centers and people with actual code access, so be it ;)

Last edited:
It's not.

Guys with root access to the computer systems have confirmed those don't get sent anywhere- including greentheonly for example. And a number of OTHER Tesla service center employees over the years have confirmed what I'm telling you.

If you wanna believe your one random dude at a service center (and there's hundreds of posts of such employees making up otherwise debunked nonsense over the years) instead of OTHER people at service centers and people with actual code access, so be it ;)

I'm not talking about one random "dude" at a service center. But we can go round and round on this. I know pretty high level people at Tesla and have healthy debates with them for years. Data is sent from the fleet when the car is connected to home wifi and not over the LTE in car connection. Anyway, webbah out.

The touted AP rewrite will supposedly address this use case when your car starts to see everything thing “4D”

I'm not talking about one random "dude" at a service center. But we can go round and round on this. I know pretty high level people at Tesla and have healthy debates with them for years. Data is sent from the fleet when the car is connected to home wifi and not over the LTE in car connection. Anyway, webbah out.

Yes- data IS sent.

Just not user-initiated bug reports.

As confirmed not just by folks at Tesla, but guys with direct access to the computer logs and codes and sourced for you in the post you are replying to.

What gets uploaded is instead the data Tesla is looking for to train the neural nets- campaigns sent out by Tesla with things like "Capture pictures of stop signs"

So the car does so- and when connected to wifi dumps all that data up to the mothership.

Green does a decent deep dive on that as well if you're interested in any of the behind the scenes of that...Read that here-

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1096322810694287361?lang=en

Indeed folks in recent weeks have been reporting much larger than usual amounts of data from exactly the types of campaigns Green describes as Tesla works on finishing up the core AP re-write.

But what it does not do is upload all your bug reports.