Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP should Just Say No to intersections.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once AP hits the city streets, I assume that one guiding principle (satisfying common sense as well as the law) will be to never change lanes while in an intersection. People do this all the time, but we're not supposed to. Autopilot is more rigorous.

My argument here is that currently, on controlled access highways where AP is intended for use, lane changes are being made in what should be considered intersections. Several times this week I have been in the #1 lane (of 2) and the car insists on "Changing out of passing lane" directly into the path of cars merging from an on ramp. It's easy enough to intervene, but I have also let it go to see what the end result will be, and it's not pretty.

Likewise, frequently the car will slow to well below the speed of traffic due to a vehicle slowing to use an exit ramp, and just as the exiting car is about to clear the lane, the car will insist on "Changing into faster lane," which is also unwise in even light traffic.

There will have to be the logic, pardon me, "intelligence," to avoid this in town, so I suggest implementing it now for highways, by considering on ramps and off ramps to be intersections as well. This "no change" zone would go a long way to avoiding these conflicts.