Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP stays close to edge of lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new M3 about 10 days ago. After 200+ miles without successful AP calibration I took it in to a service center for examination. They told me that they couldn't figure it out, but that they were able to get it to calibrate after a re-initialization of the firmware.

Now, however, when I use AP it seems to pick a lane position and stick with it. Sometimes it's in the center, but often it's in the far right side of the lane or the far left side of the lane even on straight roads with little traffic around. When I look at the console, I see both lanes marked clearly and the car's position seems to match its real-world position relative to the markings. I'm attaching a screenshot from a video I took where I was in the center lane of a three-lane highway. In the full video it stays in roughly the same lane position for 10-15 seconds before I cancel it due to approaching traffic from behind.

When this is happening, if I cancel AP, re-center the car, then re-enable AP, it will quickly swerve to get back to the same relative lane position it was previously in, which can be a bit... disconcerting. In fact, the lane position seems to be consistent across every time I start AP on a single drive, but different next time I take it out.

I took it back to the SC immediately and they gave me a long list of possible reasons, including:
- AP is in beta
- wait for a firmware update
- it adjusts to your driving habits
- give it time

None of these are very satisfying, but I told them I would keep trying to gather more data on different roads and traffic conditions. I'm still having problems, but I'm not sure if I drive the 40 minutes for another service appointment that they will be able to do anything.

I'm posting to see if anyone has had similar experience with AP2 and whether it improved over time. Also, any advice on what I should do next is certainly welcomed. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.29.31 AM.jpg

Stays to far left ? Democratic programmer. Far right? Republican programmers.
Seriously though, that is a weird one. Never heard of that. The service center excuses are dumb. They might have well just said, we don't know, go home :rolleyes:
I'd love to hear the discovery of the real reason to this one.

it adjusts to your driving habits

LOL, that is a good one from service. AP doesnt adjust to how you drive.

My AP does hug the left lane on the most recent firmware, but not as extreme as your photo is showing. It is possible that since you previously had a calibration issue that something is still going on.

Only option is to keep taking it in. Squeaky wheel and all. If you have multiple service centers you could try a different one.

I have the same issue and have had it over several firmware updates. I'm too far from a SC so I'm having a Ranger come out next week to take a look at it. Hoping they can do something, and if so, I will report back here. Hope they can figure it out, as it is very disconcerting, and often makes me turn AP off.

Our Model 3 back from Tesla Service Center - new new windshield (send more by the way).
Car is hugging the right side now. FYI, Model 3 has self-aligning cameras. Nav on Autopilot functions working. My head is right of middle lane - scary, especially doing this in the HOV lane passing cars quickly.

20190805_125530.jpg
20190805_125519.jpg

I have the same problem after windshield replacement last week. My car was hugging the left lane markers. If turned on AP with the car close to the right lane line, the car would jump to the left and it was quite scary. I believe it was a calibration issue and took it back to the service center. The technician re-do the calibration and it took about 30-40 min. Afterward, the Autopilot is working normally again. You should definitely request the service center to re-do the calibration.

Stays to far left ? Democratic programmer. Far right? Republican programmers.
Seriously though, that is a weird one. Never heard of that. The service center excuses are dumb. They might have well just said, we don't know, go home :rolleyes:
I'd love to hear the discovery of the real reason to this one.
Ha ha. Sounds like he needs a Bill Clinton programmer ... to be center left.

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Our Model 3 back from Tesla Service Center - new new windshield (send more by the way).
Car is hugging the right side now. FYI, Model 3 has self-aligning cameras. Nav on Autopilot functions working. My head is right of middle lane - scary, especially doing this in the HOV lane passing cars quickly.

View attachment 438205 View attachment 438206

Also seeing "Lane Departure Avoidance Limited".
Time for a follow-up visit. Sucks, going on a road trip this weekend. Grr..