Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP step back with both 2020.32.3 and 2020.36.10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP has always worked relatively well for me. Never had an issue with phantom braking, or other issues. Generally love it, and use it all the time.

A while back, I got updated to 32.3, and I started getting lots of phantom braking, the AP visual blue lines would also repeatedly disappear and reappear (not related to lane visibility), and lane changes finished with a sudden jolting recentering in the lane.

I chalked this all up to some bugs that would get worked out with next update, and didn’t worry about it.

I just got 36.10 and it is still occurring, although slightly less phantom braking and the lane jolt appears to have been eliminated. Nevertheless, still a far cry worse overall than prior to the last two updates.

anyone else having similar problems on these versions? Is it just me?

Reactions: Twiglett and jdw
AP has always worked relatively well for me. Never had an issue with phantom braking, or other issues. Generally love it, and use it all the time.

A while back, I got updated to 32.3, and I started getting lots of phantom braking, the AP visual blue lines would also repeatedly disappear and reappear (not related to lane visibility), and lane changes finished with a sudden jolting recentering in the lane.

I chalked this all up to some bugs that would get worked out with next update, and didn’t worry about it.

I just got 36.10 and it is still occurring, although slightly less phantom braking and the lane jolt appears to have been eliminated. Nevertheless, still a far cry worse overall than prior to the last two updates.

It is not just you.

A while back, I got updated to 32.3, and I started getting lots of phantom braking, the AP visual blue lines would also repeatedly disappear and reappear (not related to lane visibility), and lane changes finished with a sudden jolting recentering in the lane.[...]

I've stopped caring and paying attention to AP updates about 6-12 months ago.
After ~20 months with my Model 3, AP hasn't improved enough for me to rely on it, regardless of the software version.

I still use it, occasionally, mostly when I'm bored.
With the same degree of alertness as when I engage dynamic cruise control and lane keep assist in my other cars.

It is what it is.

Had one of the worst phantom braking episodes I've ever had today on 36.10. Jolted me enough that I grabbed the steering wheel hard with my left hand, which currently has a repetitive stress injury to the wrist, and I aggravated it.

TACC set speed is bouncing all over the place like a super ball. 70 down to 50 up to 65 whenever the car has mapping errors, which is often on roads here in Houston that are under construction, like the Northwest Freeway (US 290).

Two incidents of lane change abortings under 32.3 that were unexplainable.

And the new "Exit Passing Lane" feature in 36.10 doesn't work at all. It hasn't moved out of the passing lane yet while NOA is engaged.

The system is really becoming a joke to me. Except for the Autosteer (lanekeeping) component, nearly everything else is not at all useful, and Elon keeps upping the price for it.o_O Seriously, if you can't get any of the features of EAP to work right, why on Earth would I consider forking over thousands more for FSD?

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Had one of the worst phantom braking episodes I've ever had today on 36.10. Jolted me enough that I grabbed the steering wheel hard with my left hand, which currently has a repetitive stress injury to the wrist, and I aggravated it.

TACC set speed is bouncing all over the place like a super ball. 70 down to 50 up to 65 whenever the car has mapping errors, which is often on roads here in Houston that are under construction, like the Northwest Freeway (US 290).

Two incidents of lane change abortings under 32.3 that were unexplainable.

And the new "Exit Passing Lane" feature in 36.10 doesn't work at all. It hasn't moved out of the passing lane yet while NOA is engaged.

The system is really becoming a joke to me. Except for the Autosteer (lanekeeping) component, nearly everything else is not at all useful, and Elon keeps upping the price for it.o_O Seriously, if you can't get any of the features of EAP to work right, why on Earth would I consider forking over thousands more for FSD?

It would be nice if we could see what is going on under the hood of FSD because I don't experience any of that.

No changes for me.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Phlier
Downloaded 36.10.

Turned on autopilot. Immediately the car braked so hard that I would have hit the windshield but for my seat belt.

First time that ever happened

After you turned autopilot on, how far did you drive before it braked that hard?
How fast were you traveling when the car braked?
How do you know you would have hit the windshield?
Were your hands on the wheel at the time it braked. ?

Yep - agreement on AP being much more erratic. It's especially jerky in stop and go traffic on the motorway / freeway. At times it brakes much harder than it ever did before which is particularly unpleasant.

Frankly, if I could roll back to 2020.28.6 I would.

Man, you guys have my curiosity piqued. Just installed 36.10 this morning, but haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Gonna go out and do some extra driving today just to see.

I think this particular iteration of the AP software has seen about all the development it's going to. We're just going to have to be patient and wait for the re-write.

I got the update last night....this morning.... No autopilot! :-( feature unavailable. I wonder...why bother sending updates if in December we're going to be getting that new completely re-written version? ...maybe I'm missing something here.

I got the update last night....this morning.... No autopilot! :-( feature unavailable. I wonder...why bother sending updates if in December we're going to be getting that new completely re-written version? ...maybe I'm missing something here.

December is the rewrite. From what I understand, the best way I can describe it is; the rewrite takes the updates we have and incorporates them into the rewrite.
Even after the rewrite, they will continue to have these same updates.
I believe these updates will work much better on the new rewritten platform as well as on the existing platform.