TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP Suggestion: Maximize Regen distance setting

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Nov 1, 2019.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I don't think the "7" distance setting is far enough for my tastes in some situations. I'd like farther, maybe a "maximize Regen" setting that leaves a big enough gap that Regen brakes could be used for most breaking situations (obviously not including emergency situations). Give me a setting that has a far better chance of adjusting via regen vs friction and I'd probably be happy with the resulting increased distance.

Anyone else find 7 not enough in some cases?

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Tesla does not provide 1 pedal driving. If you want that, go to the Leaf.

• Disagree x 2
  3. slippy47

slippy47 Member

That sentence is not going to age well, like very very soon.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  4. MacGreiner

The problem is that it stops just as hard as 1 only 7 segments further back. I'd like a 7 setting that as you describe, eases on the brakes and slowly edges up like a human.

• Like x 3
  5. SoManyM3s

SoManyM3s Member

I totally understand what you're saying! So many situations where the car is using brakes along with regen instead of regen alone when you come up on stopped traffic.

6. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Member

Yeah, this is not exactly a follow distance problem, rather how the car is designed to aggressively maintain that distance with hard braking and hard acceleration.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Yes, Elon has made a statement. We'll see what occurs, and when it occurs. But my statement will stand as when I wrote it.

8. Lectric_Agent

Lectric_Agent 2015 S85 AP1

1 pedal driving is already being rolled out with a software update for M3 and raven models. I was just reading a thread where a an owner posted pics of the release notes and commented on loving 1 pedal driving. It only works on cars with permanent magnet motors (M3 and raven models)

9. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

Actually, it's already completely wrong. Lots of people with FSD have been getting the 5% power boost software update and it includes 1 peddle driving.

10. Mo City

Mo City Active Member

Actually, starting today, Tesla does provide one pedal driving. It is fabulous!

OP, you make an interesting point. Hadn't thought about it before.

11. Nomad2006

Nomad2006 Member

What has this got to do with the OP's question about autopilot? If you're using any pedals during autopilot, you're doing it wrong.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. kaffine

kaffine Member

The hope is that they can increase regen when on AP and reduce use of foundation brakes. I don't like how much AP uses the foundation brakes, it should be able to make better use of regen even have stronger regen than when driving manually. It should really only need to use foundation brake for panic stops and the last few feet to come to a complete stop. Oh and when the battery isn't able to absorb the energy (cold are already fully charged).

I would like that and I would like the stopping distance setting separate from the follow distance. I normally use 5 on follow but would prefer it stop a bit closer to the car in front in stop and go traffic. It is hit or miss on if it will let me override it with the go pedal. Sometimes it will let me creep up some other times it fights and makes it really jumpy.

13. aliengar0

aliengar0 Member

I don’t think I’ve ever moved AP over the 3 setting. It stays on 1 for daily commuting for me.

I do like the idea of having the car select a distance maximized for regen for long trips though.