Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Swerves In Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has a similar experience. My 2018 Model 3 on AP/FSD HW3, on and off for a couple years, has had issues staying centered in lanes even when lines are well painted. Often, the car will regain confidence after about 20 minutes of driving. I noticed that whenever AP has trouble lane-keeping, the visualization shows cars twisting left and right. When AP works correctly, cars appear driving straight. I've attached a video of what it looks like. Does anyone else experience this? I've tried rebooting the car and recalibrating the cameras... no luck.

I have never seen that before, but have you tried resetting your cameras in the service section? This may not help but only thing I could think to try before a SC visit (at which time it'll probably act normally).

I would suggest that you recalibrate the cameras in the service menu, not the regular service or AP menu.

Access your car’s service mode. Then recalibrate your system from the back end menu. This is the exact same thing that a service center would do.

To access your service menu, long press on the model of your car in the software section, where it says “Model 3” under the graphic of the car. After 5 seconds a keyword dialog box will pop up. Enter “service” and click ok.

In that menu there is an option to recalibrate and reset the cameras. Once that process is done, go for a drive on the freeway (multiple, highly visible lanes will help the cameras “relearn” faster that poor lane roads). After a total of 100 miles your system should be working good as new.

Side note: once in the back-end service mode DO NOT mess with any other settings if you don’t understand what they do. Just do the camera calibration. Leave headlight adjustments, steering adjustments and all other settings alone!

Reactions: Individoo
I'm wondering if it's because you're in the right-most lane, and there are cars to your left but not right, so it moves to the safer side of the lane. Have you tried driving in the left-most lane to see if it does the opposite? Does it stay more centered in the middle lanes?

Update: I gave the car to Tesla service and they fixed the issue. The FSD computer needed replacing. It kept producing an error message about the inertial measurements not matching other sensors. I think this essentially made my car dizzy.

Attachments

• PXL_20230202_010305243.jpg
    PXL_20230202_010305243.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 94