Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Tends to overshoot when changing lanes, bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went out this afternoon to see what happened when I deliberately changed lanes to a lane with a second lane further over, both with, and without, a car in it. I was trying for cases where the car two lanes over was also slightly ahead of me so the Tesla would pick up the car while it was changing lanes.

The results were ambiguous. I did 6 changes without a car there and all the lane changes were perfect. I did 7 with a car there and on two of them, the car overshot a bit, not going into the other lane, but going right up to the edge of the lane. The other 5 times, it changed lanes perfectly. I think that if there is another car ahead, in the target lane, the Tesla picks up on it more than the one in the adjacent lane. That may be a confounding factor.

It's clearly not a simple issue, but I've seen it happen too often to just chalk it up to randomness.

So I went out this afternoon to see what happened when I deliberately changed lanes to a lane with a second lane further over, both with, and without, a car in it. I was trying for cases where the car two lanes over was also slightly ahead of me so the Tesla would pick up the car while it was changing lanes.

The results were ambiguous. I did 6 changes without a car there and all the lane changes were perfect. I did 7 with a car there and on two of them, the car overshot a bit, not going into the other lane, but going right up to the edge of the lane. The other 5 times, it changed lanes perfectly. I think that if there is another car ahead, in the target lane, the Tesla picks up on it more than the one in the adjacent lane. That may be a confounding factor.

It's clearly not a simple issue, but I've seen it happen too often to just chalk it up to randomness.

Until they can fix it to change without coming so close to the neighboring car; and also make it more aggressive -- I will just change lanes on my own.

I feel like it's not aggressive enough in LA traffic and it takes too long to decide to switch. Other cars speed up or grab the open space before the Model S decides it's a good fit.

I use it all the time but get annoyed that sometimes it takes too long to decide when to change.

Lane change is a minor function of the AP suite but overall I have been pretty satisfied with it. It lets me drive the entire 35 mile one way commute without touching the steering even once.