Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP turns off with no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this happen three times yesterday.

2017 Model S, EAP 2.0

First time I was driving and wasn't paying attention, the car kerbed it on the left hand side (probably a couple of hundred pounds of damage to the rims) and I was thinking maybe I hadn't put the AP on when I thought I had and was annoyed at myself.

Second time I was on the motorway in the middle lane passing a car, this time I'm paying more attention and as the car drifts into the other cars lane and almost hits a car I look down and the AP is off and I recover.

Third time I am very aware of what the car is doing on AP, still on the motorway I am now watching the car drive and watching the AP indicator as much as I'm checking my mirrors and the icon just went out.

There was no audio warning, no text warnings on the screen, no forced feedback on the wheel.

I looked at the system messages screen where it normally shows the history of the warnings and no warnings about AP being turned off.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Is there anywhere else I can look for for diagnostic info? I plan to call the service centre tomorrow but at the moment AP is useless to me if it just turns itself off and I don't know about it :(

Hi @Gaz_ ,

I can make a few observations that hopefully will be helpful...

What is your steering effort setting: Comfort - Standard - Sport ???
I have mine set on "Standard" and it only takes minor effort to disengage the AP...
There will be a "tone" indicating disengagement but it is not very loud.
There have been many times when I was unsure who was steering the car...

There will be no warnings about AP disengagement - These warnings are (I think)
only for serious or moderate car malfunctions...

Good luck,

Shawn

The steering is set to Standard and I know the noise and the feel of disengaging it by steering because it is to slow for overtaking so always have to "knock" it off. It wasn't this that did it. The final time where I was checking it had no force on the steering wheel.

I'm going to try rebooting the car tonight.