Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP vs. FSD -confusing or deceptive advertising?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery today on a new S with AP.
On the Tesla website, it clearly shows AP as including self-parking, summon and navigate on autopilot (see screenshots attached).
Yet on my more detailed purchase info, it now shows these features only with FSD.
Like much else with Tesla, finding the correct information is difficult and confusing, but for me to order a $90k car and be clearly told on the website what the $3000 AP will include, then learn it not to be true, is deceptive and deeply disappointing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: DanCar
AP used to include all of those features when it was a $5000 option (called "Enhanced" AP), and FSD was $3000. Now that AP is $3000 (or is it now inclusive in the price?) and FSD is the $5000 option, they've switched around which bucket the features are in. I'm not sure which era your screen shots are from, but it may have been the graphic design team dragging their feet and not updating to the new information.

On the Tesla website, it clearly shows AP as including self-parking, summon and navigate on autopilot (see screenshots attached).
Yet on my more detailed purchase info, it now shows these features only with FSD.
Like much else with Tesla, finding the correct information is difficult and confusing, but for me to order a $90k car and be clearly told on the website what the $3000 AP will include, then learn it not to be true, is deceptive and deeply disappointing.
On the Order page where one would choose AP while buying the car the description is correct, so anyone claiming confusion is a little tough to believe. If you are really confused as opposed to just needing to take a shot at Tesla, check with Tesla not a discussion board. Who goes to the Internet for clarification before buying a $90k item?

As for webpages in general that may not be updated, I am sure you can find most large companies have a few if you look for them. For example, after I left University of California employment, I was still listed on a couple webpages for years later. How did I know? Because I looked for them, just for fun. Not to run to the Internet to bash them.

"Who goes to the Internet for clarification before buying a $90k item?"

Isn't the whole point that they want you to buy online, with a few clicks on your phone? I didn't do that, rather I did take a test drive a couple of months ago. The problem is that the information is constantly changing and even the Tesla employees are not 100% up-to-date on the ever changing landscape of Tesla. And this wasn't any old website, this was Tesla.com, researching detailed specs on the car I wished to purchase. Isn't that a legitimate expectation? And isn't the forum to discuss issues regarding Tesla?

As others have pointed out, that is referring to the previous Enhanced Autopilot option which is no longer available. Note that the Tesla.com/autopilot page hasn't been updated since before Model 3 went into mass production. Not an excuse for Tesla to forget to update the page, but just an explanation for the confusion.

"Who goes to the Internet for clarification before buying a $90k item?"

Isn't the whole point that they want you to buy online, with a few clicks on your phone? I didn't do that, rather I did take a test drive a couple of months ago. The problem is that the information is constantly changing and even the Tesla employees are not 100% up-to-date on the ever changing landscape of Tesla. And this wasn't any old website, this was Tesla.com, researching detailed specs on the car I wished to purchase. Isn't that a legitimate expectation? And isn't the forum to discuss issues regarding Tesla?
You took my entire post out of context. By running to the Internet, I was clearly referring to this discussion board, which was mentioned about five words earlier. So are you confused or just needing to bash Tesla? You didn’t acknowledge that the ordering page is very clear as to content of AP, which is what most people would rely on. There are lots of great $90k cars. Why spend it on a product that you already have serious reservations about?

By the way, when I saw your thread title, I thought you were gong to mention that Tesla issued a statement a couple weeks ago saying AP would be included in all Teslas (implicitly not just Model 3’s). Yet as of yesterday S and X did not have it included. Now you might have something to really complain about, depending on your order date.

Last edited:
We seem to not be communicating clearly.
I have serious reservations with their website being misleading, only to be discovered by me after I already made the purchase.
I would not exactly say the ordering page is clear as to the content, but I agree that devoid of details,it is more accurate. Seems logical to research in further detail on their website to avoid any confusion on my part, with the result being the opposite.

Reactions: DanCar
I agree the marketing pages are a bit over hyped to the point it could be confusing. But I feel the ordering pages have always been very clear at what you're buying.

Another example, the Model S page shows currently shows 0-60 in 2.4s AND 370mi range, and it's not possible to buy a MS with both of those specs at the same time. The order form is very clear that when you go from Long Range to Performance you're giving up range.

It is odd to me that they will update the webpage advertising all the capabilities of the car to show the new 370 mile range on Model S, but keep the old way of explaining how the Autopilot features are divided up. I also think a lot of people get confused with the fact that Tesla uses the term “Autopilot” as an all encompassing term to refer to the whole system of both the new standard Autopilot Features and the Full self driving features.

We have to remember not everyone buying a Tesla is as knowledgeable as individuals who regularly read this forum, and if Tesla is expecting people to purchase the cars solely by utilizing their website, then they have a responsibility to make sure all the information is as up to date and clear as possible, this includes the order page as well as the different sub pages describing features.

Here is link to TeslaTap which shows a pretty good chart of the CURRENT situation. So if you are reading this post after April 24, 2019 there is a chance it is no longer correct. :). I believe EAP is no longer available to purchase so if you are buying new, it comes with AP or you can buy FSD.

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap
That's a good comparison list.

The only confusing thing for new buyers is that they removed the "Hold Stalk to Manually Change Lanes While Keeping AP2 Engaged" from regular AP2.

SO AFTER ALL THAT, MY CAR WITH AP HAS SUMMON AND NAVIGATE ON AP, NOT AUTO PARK.
Go figure, even the delivery person was surprised. Hard to figure and know exactly what you are buying but this one worked out for me.

I don't buy the defense that their website is not up-to-date. It clearly details the features of AP, NOT EAP.
True, but the forums are full of screen shots of former versions of the AP site, and former tweets. I'll bet you could even use google's "cached pages" feature to bring up the EAP page. The point is, what was, is no more. Folks have to stop using what other people purchased last year to justify being mad about not having a feature this year.

Reactions: Russell