Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP vs. FSD differences currently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
What has been taken away from AP, as was, and now moved to FSD? (My reference point is AP1 rather than AP2)

Anything that you currently have and actually use and would miss?

Looking at the blurb is seems that:

"Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
"

Does that mean that a new AP car will not change lanes just using turn-signal? The Bing-Bong would be really annoying for passengers if motorway overtake had to be done manually every time. Not sure I need the car to change lanes by itself [until there more features in FSD that I would find useful]

"Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot
."

I don't use either, except for experiment (and of course I don't have "Summon from other side of car park")

"Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Automatic driving on city streets.
"

Can't see myself using either of those. 90+% motorway driving, plenty of bumper-to-bumper in Town, but AP1 does fine for that - I drive around the roundabouts etc., but when inching forward I let AP do that ...

I do find speed sign, including temporary/gantry, reading very useful, along with automatic adjustment of speed where appropriate, and GPS-database ain't anything like as good IMO

The description of AP currently says:

"Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

which is why I am unclear about turn-signal lane-change

Just recently added basic Autopilot for the £1900. Fire sale.
I can confirm it autosteers and keeps set distance from car in front but no longer changes lanes when you signal with indicator which is disappointing.
Still love watching it do it’s thing on motorways.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
...The description of AP currently says:

"Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

which is why I am unclear about turn-signal lane-change

Current AP is reclassified so that its functions do not need to use all 8 cameras while FSD functions now is reclassified so that its functions use all 8 cameras.

Current AP can do 2 jobs:

1) TACC: Smart cruise which does not need all 8 cameras
2) Autosteer within a lane: Since its job is limited to one lane at a time, there's no need for the automation to use all 8 cameras to do an Auto Lance Change.

All other functions beyond those above 2 can arguably use 8 cameras.

So, you are correct the new AP cannot change lane automatically. Instead of using 8 cameras to change lane, it now manually depends on its human's eyes and arms to change lanes.

I'm wondering if we'll get Nav on AP within the next 3 years in the UK. Doesn't make economic sense to buy FSD on a M3 3-year-lease if not.

The only 2 functions of FSD that you have to wait to the end of the year are:

1) Traffic lights and stop signs automatic compliance
2) Automatic driving on city streets.

In addition to 2 Autopilot function above, you can use the rest pretty much now:

1) Auto Lane Change (driver does not need to signal either)
2) AutoPark
3) Summon

I use Auto Lane Change quite a lot so it's worth the money for me.

Autopark and summon are just a show-off but it became real useful one time when I had to use it because the only parking spot left was too small for any car to get in and allow door opening. It's pretty neat when I needed it!

I use Auto Lane Change quite a lot so it's worth the money for me

$5,000 ...

I've been thinking about it ...

So I am on Motorway on AP, and want to overtake. I steer to change lanes, that disengages AP, and I either re-engage AP - and then dis-engage, change back lanes, and re-engage again, or complete the passing manoeuvre, change lanes back, and then re-engage.

Every time I do that I will get the Bing-Bong, which will be irksome for my passengers.

And all the time I am not on AP I have no side-incursion, no two-car-in-front emergency braking, no adaptive-cruise-control and so on.

Have I got that right? because if so, from a safety angle, it might be money spent to keep the driver alive.

• Informative
Reactions: smythey
$5,000 ...

I would like to clarify that it's worth it for me because I can also afford it.

Before Tesla, I did everything manually for decades and I caused to accidents. Manual transmission with a clutch and no cruise what so ever.

Later in life, I became richer and I could afford a Prius that came with automatic gear and a dumb cruise. I was in high heaven!

Before Auto Lane change, I used to get honked from time to time when I manually changed lane. Now, with Auto Lane Change, although I still check the mirrors, I feel very much better.

Of course, if I can't afford it, I would go back to my manual transmission with a clutch and no cruise.

Asking the right questions here... why is it so hard to get a defined answer here? I saw Bjorn's video on this in Amsterdam recently... which countries is NoA currently available in?

There's a good video here of 2019.8.4 software on a UK spec 2019 model-X. Expect the same on a UK Model-3

All we have is assisted-lane change (driver initiated) while in autopilot (auto lane keeping, traffic-aware cruise)