Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP VS FSD - (Not hardware)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I did a quick search on this forum and it is still unclear to me.

Software Version: 2020.36

I did not buy the Self Driving which cost so much (I will one day). However, Tesla claims that it can park, summon and detect traffic signs (stop and red lights).

In summary:
  • Auto Park included?
  • Forward and Reverse Summon included? Not the smart summon, just standard forward/reverse?
  • Detecting Traffic Lights and Stop Signs?

Are those feature included in the autopilot without the purchase of the self-driving? Again, for instance, I know that Smart Summon is a FSD capability. Is there a way to get Forward and Reverse or no?

• Helpful
Reactions: SlimJim
The only other caveat is that pre February 2019 there was a package called Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) that included some features now in the FSD package. This included Autopark and standard Summon. That package was US$5k but discontinued at the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Basic AP (which is what comes on new cars today except the 35k SR) is:

Traffic aware cruise control
Autosteer in a single lane (and Intended only for use on divided highways with controlled access)

That's it.

everything else requires FSD.

Visualizing (ie displaying, but not taking any action) for things like signs and lights is available on all HW3 cars regardless of what paid software features they have.

As noted there was a different system prior to Feb/March 2019.... EAP stopped being available after that- but it included all current FSD features OTHER than stoplight/stop sign stopping and reading speed limit signs.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Neilio
...I guess they solved the intellectual property issue one way or another. :)
Yea, they are either paying Mobileye a licensing fee (less likely) or found a workaround (more likely). Could be they are doing something like using the telephoto camera to identify and read the words Speed Limit and then using the standard camera to read the speed number and combine the data to read the sign.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Under "Software-additional vehicle information" it will list full self driving computer if it has HW3. Also HW 2.x does not display traffic lights and stop signs.
Just to push back a little, my HW2.5 M3 once displayed a clear red traffic light warning while approaching an intersection with AP engaged (TACC and Autosteer). Granted, that was just once In circumstances that required me to proceed through the intersection. But it recognized and warned as I drove through, as designed. Go figure.

Just to push back a little, my HW2.5 M3 once displayed a clear red traffic light warning while approaching an intersection with AP engaged (TACC and Autosteer). Granted, that was just once In circumstances that required me to proceed through the intersection. But it recognized and warned as I drove through, as designed. Go figure.

You're confusing 3 different features.

All HW 2.x and above will warn you if you're about to run a red light or stop sign. Warn, but nothing else.

HW3 if visualizations are turned on will SHOW lights and signs in advance/on approach in the normal visualizations, but not DO anything about them other than item 1

HW3 with FSD and this extra feature turned on will actually stop at lights and stop signs when on TACC or AP.

You're confusing 3 different features.

All HW 2.x and above will warn you if you're about to run a red light or stop sign. Warn, but nothing else.

HW3 if visualizations are turned on will SHOW lights and signs in advance/on approach in the normal visualizations, but not DO anything about them other than item 1

HW3 with FSD and this extra feature turned on will actually stop at lights and stop signs when on TACC or AP.
Then we agree that the red/stop warning function is supported by HW2.5. When it only happens once, one cannot be sure. Incidentally the 2020.36.10 release notes do show that warning function to be the only new one supported by 2.5. Maybe earlier versions did too. I noticed this time.

Yeah, all AP2+ systems do the warning if you're about to run a light/sign... it's not especially new (in the US anyway- such functionality rolls out slower overseas)

Tesla Autopilot now gives red light warnings & right of way for lane changes - Electrek.

That's a report mentioning the warning feature from March 2019- before HW3 was even being installed in cars.

If you want anything more than the warning though you'll need HW3 (for the visualizations of signs/lights) and FSD (to actually DO something other than just warn)