Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP wants me to switch to left lane "to follow route" on empty freeway...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving on AP on an empty stretch of freeway today, my MY surprised me with this:

IMG_3264.JPG

- No other cars in front or behind me
- Next turn is a freeway exit to the right 4.6 km away (was about 6 when this started)
- Absolutely no reason that I can see to change lanes - definitely not necessary to "follow route"

Why? Has anyone seen this?

I have seen this behavior when there is an upcoming entrance ramp. The AP does not like to be in the right lane and have cars merge on to the road in the same lane. It will brake and let those cars merge in front. So it tries to be in the next left lane to let those cars merge. Since it can't tell if there are cars merging it just by software wants to move the car over to the next left lane when there is a an upcoming merge lane.

I have seen this behavior when there is an upcoming entrance ramp. The AP does not like to be in the right lane and have cars merge on to the road in the same lane. It will brake and let those cars merge in front. So it tries to be in the next left lane to let those cars merge. Since it can't tell if there are cars merging it just by software wants to move the car over to the next left lane when there is a an upcoming merge lane.
This makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Individoo

When my exit on the right would be about 3 miles away and I am not on the most right lane, it would consistently and automatically change to that lane. There could be numerous merging traffic on the right for the next 3 miles.

That definitely makes sense. What doesn't though, is that if that's the reason, why does the screen tell me to change lanes "to follow route"? This has nothing to do with following the route.

In that case, is there a place to report these to Tesla so they can be fixed?
Tap the microphone icon and say “bug report. (and then the bug you found.)” Tesla will get a copy of your report. Tap the microphone icon on the main screen, wait for the tone and say “bug report” followed by a description of the problem. It's best to do this right after the incident you wish to report.

Tap the microphone icon and say “bug report. (and then the bug you found.)” Tesla will get a copy of your report. Tap the microphone icon on the main screen, wait for the tone and say “bug report” followed by a description of the problem. It's best to do this right after the incident you wish to report.
Not anymore. Reports are no longer sent to Tesla. They are only pulled off the car if you request service.

I’ve had similar happen but my theory is that the map data isn’t updated with the correct number of lanes. The reason I believe this is because I have the opposite problem in the Seattle area where on the interstate in the left most lane (excluding HOV lane) the car will constantly try to move one lane to the right saying “changing lanes to follow route” then right after that lane change will change one more to the right saying “changing out of passing lane”. Which leads me to believe it thinks there are only 3 lanes instead of 4. It tries to make this change out of that far left lane even when there is a long line of traffic in the adjacent lane and the far left lane is clear. It’s extremely frustrating because it means I have to disable the navigate on autopilot of I want to continue traveling in that left lane without a blinker on forever as it keeps trying to move over.
I’ve also seen this on smaller 2 lane highways as well. I really wish they’d update the maps if this really is the case.

Well I was hopeful that the map update that just came out would have this fixed. Silly me. I haven't seen any improvements to the freeway lane issue. It does seem to be handling a few lanes better on city streets where it was previously getting into turn only lanes to continue straight and now stays in the proper lane.