Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP wish changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one wish on improving AP, Coming up to a red light the car tends to hurry up to the light and brake late. This is compounded when there is a series of lights and the car tries to reach intended speed when the natural disposition would be to slowly pull up to the next red light.
btw, what is your impression of the pull-away speed off a green light? My particular car/software seems too slow, impeding traffic.

Reactions: K5TRX
You imply that the car accelerates when it approaches a red light, but I don't think that's what you meant. It definitely doesn't do that. I don't use the traffic control features much, but I haven't noticed unusually hard braking at red lights.

Acceleration when the light turns green is definitely leisurely. I always give it a little help with the accelerator pedal. Acceleration is also too slow on the highway when the car in front is going faster than you.

btw, what is your impression of the pull-away speed off a green light? My particular car/software seems too slow, impeding traffic.

Agreed, on 10.3.1 (my first FSD beta), it waits a beat before starting to move, and then accelerates slowly. Me, I'm the exact opposite: the light turns, and I'm across the intersection before the car next to me has started to move. :)

As for wish list, I wish it wouldn't go to the right before making a left turn, or to the left before making a right turn. Makes me look like a jerk.

You imply that the car accelerates when it approaches a red light, but I don't think that's what you meant. It definitely doesn't do that. I don't use the traffic control features much, but I haven't noticed unusually hard braking at red lights.

Acceleration when the light turns green is definitely leisurely. I always give it a little help with the accelerator pedal. Acceleration is also too slow on the highway when the car in front is going faster than you.
No, my car will try to attain set speed between red lights, even when the lights are relatively close. I am not talking about in-town driving but rather lights on rural/ highways. When a near coast would have been an acceptable approach to the light.

No, my car will try to attain set speed between red lights, even when the lights are relatively close. I am not talking about in-town driving but rather lights on rural/ highways. When a near coast would have been an acceptable approach to the light.
How close is "relatively close"? The car primarily uses vision to see the approaching traffic lights, so it won't detect lights unless they're within camera range, which is 250 meters.

I have one wish on improving AP, Coming up to a red light the car tends to hurry up to the light and brake late. This is compounded when there is a series of lights and the car tries to reach intended speed when the natural disposition would be to slowly pull up to the next red light.
I know what you mean. It does not usually accelerate when it sees the stop light but it does not decelerate until the last minute then jams on the brakes. It is really inefficient if nothing else. It makes you think it is not seeing the red light, especially passengers.
But sometimes if it was already accelerating, it keeps actually accelerating when the light changes red and then jams on the brakes.

FSD Beta fixes I want

Optimize regen - I haven't done a comparison yet, but FSD Beta driving seems way less efficient than manual driving.
Eliminate all the "hold steering wheel" nonsense, and instead use the torque sensor to detect corrections in the steering. Use this to completely revamp turning at stop lights, and stop signs.
Have a bigger report button that can be pressed using muscle memory alone without even looking
Add waypoints as a workaround for bad routing
Get rid of forced autobrights or add better logic of when to turn them on

I'm not counting anything that I feel are failures. Things like stopping too short is a failure and should be reported.

I wish it would learn from my driving conditions and try to mimic them. If I move to the left of the lane when passing a truck on my right, also do that. If I lift off the accelerator early approaching another vehicle or stop sign, also do that.

I want the tech from FSD beta to trickle down to regular AP / EAP once it becomes "single stack" and eventually will have improvements in the ghost braking department. my wish for feature / improvement is simply having it work as it should...