Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 and lane positioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an area where the main thoroughfare is a 2-lane highway. I am finding (only had the car 2 weeks) that AP1 tends to want to put the car right in the middle of the lane, whereas I tend to favor a bit toward the shoulder (as it is not a car coming at me at 120 mph (combined). I didn't notice this problem (because it wasn't there) on larger, multi-lane highways. Anyone else finding this? Is there any way to adjust it?

I live in an area where the main thoroughfare is a 2-lane highway. I am finding (only had the car 2 weeks) that AP1 tends to want to put the car right in the middle of the lane, whereas I tend to favor a bit toward the shoulder (as it is not a car coming at me at 120 mph (combined). I didn't notice this problem (because it wasn't there) on larger, multi-lane highways. Anyone else finding this? Is there any way to adjust it?
There is no way to adjust where the car drives in the lane. Sometimes you can gently encourage it to move over with the wheel, without throwing it out of Autosteer. If you are going to do that, you might as well steer yourself, IMHO.

Personally I don't use Autosteer with oncoming traffic if it is heavy enough to bother me. AP is a tool, not a video game.

Reactions: bmah
There is no way to adjust where the car drives in the lane. Sometimes you can gently encourage it to move over with the wheel, without throwing it out of Autosteer. If you are going to do that, you might as well steer yourself, IMHO.

Personally I don't use Autosteer with oncoming traffic if it is heavy enough to bother me. AP is a tool, not a video game.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion, not really designed for this type of road. No worries, I look forward to using it (and free supercharging) on road trips

Reactions: BerTX
Just yesterday I was driving down the road and a car decided to give the truck to the side of them a little more room as the car passed. Well, that "little more room" had the car over the lines into my lane.

The correct place to drive IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. From that position, you have the most flexibility and don't impact other cars. More importantly, the Tesla is watching the cars and if avoidance is needed, will tend to take the appropriate action.

Reactions: morrisdl
It takes a little getting used to. Most drivers tend to cheat to the outside away from traffic, especially from on coming trucks. After a year, nobody in my car even notices the placement in the lane anymore. Semi-related: I think "truck lust" has either gotten much better, or we a numb to that as well.

And if there is a pothole that is where it will be, right where the wheels track on the highways. There are plenty this time of year in early spring. Steer to avoid pothole, AP cancels, engage it again 3 seconds later. Repeat in 5 km. It becomes as second nature as adjusting the volume for each song.