Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1->AP3 FSD upgrade

Sybadm

Jan 9, 2020
London
Hi, I just got call from Tesla Datford, UK. I am eligible to upgrade AP1 to AP3 and if I pay @ £6,800 then they will replace everything on my car to give FSD in few months. I'm not sure how this is possible at all? or they just dont know what they are talking? I was told they have tool and based on my car VIN thier tool suggests that they can upgrade to AP3.

My car was purchased in July 2016 with Autopilot without Software auto pilot with convenience.

Reactions: rickyjb

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
It's not possible to upgrade AP1 to AP3. In addition to the computer, you're missing all kinds of cameras and connections. I know the AP2 cutover was sometime in the second half of 2016 - are you certain you don't have AP2? Do you have cameras in your B pillars or fender turn signals?

I suppose it's possible that your VIN is simply coded wrong on their end (maybe most cars were AP2 at that point but you got stuck with a late AP1 vehicle in the later VIN range?) but that seems unlikely.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Hi, I just got call from Tesla Datford, UK. I am eligible to upgrade AP1 to AP3 and if I pay @ £6,800 then they will replace everything on my car to give FSD in few months. I'm not sure how this is possible at all? or they just dont know what they are talking? I was told they have tool and based on my car VIN thier tool suggests that they can upgrade to AP3.

My car was purchased in July 2016 with Autopilot without Software auto pilot with convenience.

I agree with @serendipitous.

AP1 has only 1 camera (you need 8) and it does not have an FSD compatible computer/wirings.

AP2 was announced on 10/2016 in the US so it's doubtful that your 7/2016 would have it.

Pkzipper

Jul 18, 2021
USA
Cameras, wires, computers are the easy part. The "B" Pillar will also need to have a hole cut out to fit the "B" pillar applique with the camera!!
Doubt this will be ever done by tesla service center for liability purposes and even if you do it yourself good luck getting tesla to update your car with the required software.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC