Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 -> AP3 (Theoretical )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discussed with different third parties.
Summary: upgrade is possible from AP1 to AP2.5 or AP3.0 (the latter is valid only when FSD is released)
The following should be done (prices are approximate):
  1. Retrofit: Right B Pillar Trim with Cameras (LH & RH & Left) - €300 (used)
  2. Retrofit: MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER with cameras (LH & RH) - €200 (used)
  3. Retrofit: MX Windshield for triple camera - €1700 (new)
  4. Retrofit: INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3 - €300 (used)
  5. Retrofit: AP2.5 ECU Module - €400 (used)
  6. Wiring: €200 (used)
  7. Fusebox: €200 (used)
  8. Labor cost: €1500
  9. Option: MCU2 - €1500 (new)
Total with MCU1: €4800
Total with MCU2: €6300

No changes for radar and sensors.
Glovebox is the same as 2017/2019 production year.
No additional cooling is required for AP ecu module.
If a car is on basic warranty, all replaced parts will be out of warranty, the rest stays under warranty.
Love the idea that this is possible, and hopefully this kind of upgrade will get more streamlined and common

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Thank you for this great work.
My EV garage was also mentioning a similar cost but included the Windshield change for the Model S (AP1 July 2016)
Are you sure that the windshield stays the same?
Also, what about the FSD licence? Do we need to add $10K US for this option? Unless Tesla offers an upgrade from "Autopilot with convenience features" to FSD as they offer from "Enhanced Autopilot" to FSD.
Sorry! By retrofit I meant install new windshield for triple camera.

My EV garage was also mentioning a similar cost but included the Windshield change for the Model S (AP1 July 2016)
Also, what about the FSD licence? Do we need to add $10K US for this option? Unless Tesla offers an upgrade from "Autopilot with convenience features" to FSD as they offer from "Enhanced Autopilot" to FSD.
I’m planning to visit SC and talk to them. So far no option, but there are some rumors.
Remaking questions is about the certificates for Tesla. Will it be upgraded by Tesla to be inline with installed hardware or not?

Discussed with different third parties.
Summary: upgrade is possible from AP1 to AP2.5 or AP3.0 (the latter is valid only when FSD is released)
The following should be done (prices are approximate):
  1. Retrofit: Right B Pillar Trim with Cameras (LH & RH & Left) - €300 (used)
  2. Retrofit: MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER with cameras (LH & RH) - €200 (used)
  3. Retrofit: MX Windshield for triple camera - €1700 (new)
  4. Retrofit: INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3 - €300 (used)
  5. Retrofit: AP2.5 ECU Module - €400 (used)
  6. Wiring: €200 (used)
  7. Fusebox: €200 (used)
  8. Labor cost: €1500
  9. Option: MCU2 - €1500 (new)
Total with MCU1: €4800
Total with MCU2: €6300

No changes for radar and sensors.
Glovebox is the same as 2017/2019 production year.
No additional cooling is required for AP ecu module.
If a car is on basic warranty, all replaced parts will be out of warranty, the rest stays under warranty.

Hello, I am also an AP1 model X owner looking to add these side repeater cameras.
1. Wondering was the camera wiring prewired for these cameras?
2. If not, can you suggest a source for that harness
3. after its installed and connected, are the side cameras visible on the screen via the menu? (this could be dependent on mcu1 vs mcu2 i believe)

As much as I would like to have my 2016 Model S with EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) updated with AP3 I have to ask myself why and for what?
First it is well known that AP3 is the only system that will allow FSD (Full self Driving) when it comes available Plus $10K USD or $199 month. Hmmmm
Since FSD has yet to be released and when it does I wonder how much I would use it?
Second, lets look at what AP1 doesn't have with EAP compared to AP2-3 excluding the potential of FSD above.
Driven both versions in adaptive cruise control AP1 is as good and may even be better than AP2. Smother for now.
AP2 has the stop light detection and always comes to a stop even if the light is green. You have to press accelerator to move through. So you still need to interact with the car but opposite to AP1 as it needs you to stop the car. I guess AP2 is safer if you fall asleep because it will stop at the next intersection.
Auto enter and exit highways. Big Deal!! Unless you fall asleep again.
Auto lane change? Not quite, it asks you and then you have to check and engage to do it. Well AP1 does it when you signal.
Blind spot detection. Not!! If you rely on the dash display for this you will be cutting off a lot of people. However this may get improved via software as time goes by but.... Oh and as for side camera display when engaging a turn signal, I found myself staring at the screen longer than just glancing over my shoulder.
Century mode? Ok that is cool

Ok so what will need to be added to the car to get the few extras?
Well you need the cameras, AP3 module, wiring and yes you will need MCU2 if you want century mode, blind spot detection and stop light detection (I think).
Then you will need Tesla to update the software in the car. Easy!! Not!
First big issue is the "B" pillar. You need to cut a structural component of the car so that you can install the "B" pillar appliques with the cameras in it. Then Tesla will need to convince every safety authority that cutting those holes has not compromised the car in anyway. Easy?? Not so sure. Oh and just because the new cars are made that way does not apply to the old cars that were not because of the process used to achieve it.
But hey, my local guy or i will do it myself. Sure, but what about Tesla turning on software. If the car is out of warranty why wouldn't they? Ask them!
Hey they can make money by me adding $10k of FSD or $199 a month. Sure until something goes wrong and a law suit begins.

I would love it but not sure it would be worth it. So if it can be done let me know for how much.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Man has been in Moon more than fifty years ago. Of course it is possible to upgrade AP 1 to AP 3 😜

But it would cost much more than new Model S, because it would need custom made parts and high professional manual labour.

You are correct: windshield should be replaced as well. I've started yet. So far only upgraded MCU 1 to MCU 2. Do plan to start once FSD is released for public use.

Hello everyone.
I talk to someone at Tesla that seems to know very well how to upgrade from AP1 to AP3. He even did service on a Model S which was upgraded from AP1 to AP3 (not from Tesla).
It is quite feasible as mentioned in the previous posts but Tesla won't accept it and might even disable Supercharging and other options. In fact, he says Tesla won't consider the vehicle safe anymore...
AP version is linked to the VIN number. Tesla will only authorise AP1 to AP3 done by them.
Also, Tesla will never authorise sentinel on an AP1 car with the side cameras added and plugged to MCU2 ;(
Unfortunately, as they will never do it, the story is over ;(

I need to replace the front radar and park assistant
Hardware:
1. Front windshield
2. Front camera: single camera to be replaced with triple camera + harness wiring
3. Side repeaters to be replaced with the ones with cameras + harness wiring
4. Side b pillars to be replace with the ones with cameras + harness wiring
5. Radar
6. Parking sensors should be verified which versions are installed from the factory.

I haven't done it yet, because a car has official warranty. Any above replaced and fitted parts into car will void official warranty on these parts.

Software: this is the most tricky part.
Option 1: negotiate with Tesla SC and validate official Tesla update for Autopilot to EAP functionality.
FSD is the most tricky one. Should negotiated with Tesla SC as well.
Option 2: 3d parties will be able to push update for Autopilot, EAP and FSD. Prices will differ. Eastern Europe garage offer FSD US version for around USD 3k. But you should be very careful with 3d parties, because of security. It should be figured out how updates will be installed afterward: from 3d parties serves or directly from Tesla (which I doubt).

As much as I would like to have my 2016 Model S with EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) updated with AP3 I have to ask myself why and for what?
First it is well known that AP3 is the only system that will allow FSD (Full self Driving) when it comes available Plus $10K USD or $199 month. Hmmmm
Since FSD has yet to be released and when it does I wonder how much I would use it?
Second, lets look at what AP1 doesn't have with EAP compared to AP2-3 excluding the potential of FSD above.
Driven both versions in adaptive cruise control AP1 is as good and may even be better than AP2. Smother for now.
AP2 has the stop light detection and always comes to a stop even if the light is green. You have to press accelerator to move through. So you still need to interact with the car but opposite to AP1 as it needs you to stop the car. I guess AP2 is safer if you fall asleep because it will stop at the next intersection.
Auto enter and exit highways. Big Deal!! Unless you fall asleep again.
Auto lane change? Not quite, it asks you and then you have to check and engage to do it. Well AP1 does it when you signal.
Blind spot detection. Not!! If you rely on the dash display for this you will be cutting off a lot of people. However this may get improved via software as time goes by but.... Oh and as for side camera display when engaging a turn signal, I found myself staring at the screen longer than just glancing over my shoulder.
Century mode? Ok that is cool

Ok so what will need to be added to the car to get the few extras?
Well you need the cameras, AP3 module, wiring and yes you will need MCU2 if you want century mode, blind spot detection and stop light detection (I think).
Then you will need Tesla to update the software in the car. Easy!! Not!
First big issue is the "B" pillar. You need to cut a structural component of the car so that you can install the "B" pillar appliques with the cameras in it. Then Tesla will need to convince every safety authority that cutting those holes has not compromised the car in anyway. Easy?? Not so sure. Oh and just because the new cars are made that way does not apply to the old cars that were not because of the process used to achieve it.
But hey, my local guy or i will do it myself. Sure, but what about Tesla turning on software. If the car is out of warranty why wouldn't they? Ask them!
Hey they can make money by me adding $10k of FSD or $199 a month. Sure until something goes wrong and a law suit begins.

I would love it but not sure it would be worth it. So if it can be done let me know for how much.
Thank you! One very important fact: all Model X with AP1 have predrilled holes for installing B pillars and others if so is required!