Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 - Can it back into a garage to self-park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious and this has probably been answered a couple times over, but I've only see videos of a Model S/X pulling forward to park in a garage. Can reverse into a garage on its own? Thanks in advance as I'm eagerly awaiting my CPO 70D.

Yes, I use it to back into my garage all the time. A couple of things:
1. Depending on how big your garage is you may need to adjust clearance settings
2. Manually control with key fob when in reverse. This will prevent your car from backing through your garage or hitting some other obstruction

Just curious and this has probably been answered a couple times over, but I've only see videos of a Model S/X pulling forward to park in a garage. Can reverse into a garage on its own? Thanks in advance as I'm eagerly awaiting my CPO 70D.

Please don't confuse self-park with Summon. The car will [sometimes] self-park by reversing into a perpendicular parking space if and only if there is a single space with cars on both sides. This is not your garage unless you have a very large garage with many cars (in which case you should hire someone to park your car).

What you see people using to pull into their garage is Summon. Summon will move the car mostly straight forward or straight backward, usually avoiding obstacles, on a basically flat surface with no slope and very minimal bumps.

So, if your driveway is flat, you will probably be able to back up to your garage door and use Summon to back the car into the garage space. Unless you have zero clearance in your garage to open the door and get out of the car, it is much less stressful to do it manually. Backing up is something every Tesla owner MUST get good at, since 98+% of all Supercharger stalls require backing in with other owners watching your skill...

It'll back into your garage but how well it does it varies. I have a 3 car garage and I back both my cars in and my OCD requires them to be perfectly straight. When using summon it often "sees" things and moves away from them (rightfully so) but it ends up having the car all crooked which annoys the crap out of me.

However, it pulls out of the garage wonderfully!

I've played with summon on a loaner with AP1. My experience was that it's not very good at going into the garage, but is nice for pulling out. Going in it had multiple issues with seeing obstacles that aren't there and not being able to make it over the garage lip (where concrete level change creates about a 1 inch curb it gets stuck on). Most of the issues were due to the lip, so will likely work a lot better for anyone who doesn't have such a lip going into their parking space.