Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i see quite a few threads of folks with ap2 having vastly different experiences with autopilot, and I began to wonder if the same was true for ap1. Currently on 17.26.76 and I’m not seeing the improvements that others seem to be experiencing. While going around a sharp curve, the vehicle almost always crosses a line and usually does not slow down to a reasonable speed to take the curve. Cresting hills is also an issue as the vehicle will veer over a line to one side. I still,don’t understand why if the blue lines are active on the display and it “sees” the why the system would allow the vehicle to cross over the lines. Going over the crest of a hill also should have the behavior of continuing in a straight line for a moment until the lines are visible to the system again or it flashes to take over. I wonder is this issue only affecting all ap1 owners or is there a split in experiences as ap2 seems to have.

Are you on AP1 or AP2?

FWIW I've always had problems on AP1 with cresting hills with curves, or any sort of road that has both elevation changes and hills at the same time. Especially if I pushed the speed past 60mph. Honestly that is one area that AP2 is doing better at than AP1 for me.

A good example is going through Pacheco Pass going from NorCal to SoCal. AP1 even in the later v8.1 builds would never handle the stretch of curvy freeway close to the water reservoir. It would steer smoothly, but smoothly depart your lane and straddle lane markers before correcting itself. AP2 has always been rougher there, but I was really surprised on 17.26.76 to see it successfully maintain control and stay within its lane going through Pacheco Pass. That was a visible difference between AP1 and AP2 for me, and AP2 has no speed sensitivity at all. I was able to push it all the way to 89mph going through sweeping curves and it's totally fine, while AP1 can get dicey on curvy roads past 70mph.

i see quite a few threads of folks with ap2 having vastly different experiences with autopilot, and I began to wonder if the same was true for ap1. Currently on 17.26.76 and I’m not seeing the improvements that others seem to be experiencing. While going around a sharp curve, the vehicle almost always crosses a line and usually does not slow down to a reasonable speed to take the curve. Cresting hills is also an issue as the vehicle will veer over a line to one side. I still,don’t understand why if the blue lines are active on the display and it “sees” the why the system would allow the vehicle to cross over the lines. Going over the crest of a hill also should have the behavior of continuing in a straight line for a moment until the lines are visible to the system again or it flashes to take over. I wonder is this issue only affecting all ap1 owners or is there a split in experiences as ap2 seems to have.

It may partially be the type of roads people are driving on. For example, until this last weekend, I never encountered roads with crests for it to wig out on(I can now report that I've seen that behavior as well), so I didn't have that issue at all. If the issue only manifests in certain conditions, and some people never encounter those conditions, then they'll have a much different experience.

EDIT: I'm on AP2, FYI

Reactions: fasteddie7
I believe AP1 and AP2 are completely separate. Completely different hardware and completely separate and different code bases. Nothing done to one will have any impact on the other except knowledge xfer through developers.
I know this, my question is between hardware on the same platform, as some ap2 owners have no issues while others experience camera calibration issues and wavy lines with inconsistent performance as if there are slight variations in the hardware, my question is some ap1 owners have no issues while others do, as to suggest that there may be slight differences in ap1 hardware as well.

I know this, my question is between hardware on the same platform, as some ap2 owners have no issues while others experience camera calibration issues and wavy lines with inconsistent performance as if there are slight variations in the hardware, my question is some ap1 owners have no issues while others do, as to suggest that there may be slight differences in ap1 hardware as well.

I think with AP1 most of the discrepancy was more relating to driving environment and coincidence than alignment/calibration issues. With AP2, there were definitely major alignment issues -- many people had mis-aimed cameras that were affecting the system, as well as mis-aimed steering.

The algorithm is a complete rewrite due to migrating to the massively different architecture. Not just the vision aspect, but also the steering control and the TACC aspect too.

EDIT: I just remembered a story from a coworker who early-adopted AP1. He reported that shortly after Autosteer firmware was pushed, he would get a lot of TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alerts, and that turned out to be a camera alignment problem. So it's very much possible that by now, AP1 is consistent, but in the earlier days AP1 suffered from car-to-car variation as well.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
My ap1 car slows on sharp curves with autosteer. It just doesn't slow enough to take the curve. I can slow the car manually before the curve, and the car can make it. It will always make the curve if I slow to the speed on the yellow advisory speed limit signs. That's usually overkill tough. It'll take the curve at speeds faster than that.