Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 - drifting out of right-benders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a 500+ miles drive. As usual, I made heavy use of AutoPilot (AP1). However, I noticed that the system often seems late to react to right bends on the freeway, and in quite some cased tends to drift over the left lane marker, if I don't take over. It doesn't seem to do this in left bends.

What could cause this? Could this be dirty sensors or cameras? (weather was bad and car was quite dirty; haven't had a chance to wash and re-test)

AP1 just sucks. I have issues with AP1 on my 15 MS with following lanes that bend sharply, forks, slight hills at intersections, staying too far to one side in the lane on roads that don't have lines on both sides of the lane, car trying to follow the person in front of me exiting the freeway instead of staying straight in the lane, and probably more I not thinking of off the top of my head. My 17 MS with FSD never has these issues. Even when my 17 was still on AP2.5, it never had those issues. AP1 is just good for staying in highway lanes on long trips but even then you still have to keep monitoring it constantly.

Were these highway bends or just divided highway bends? I have no problem with the former, but the latter will cause the car to freak out if the turn is sharp enough.

Were there hills involved? That can also complicate things, even on a straight road. I tend to use TACC only when on more windy roads, or I just drive myself. On the highway, I'd say AP1 is very good.