Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 driving over double yellow merge lines on 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one else seeing this?

I-405 southbound between Culver and I-5, two HOV lane entry areas are two lanes wide, merging back to one lane. The merge is marked by double solid yellow lines splitting into double double yellow lines with yellow hash marks between them. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that AP1 did not obey the lines at the end of the two lane stretch near Sand Canyon off ramp, continuing straight into the area between double yellow lines, at which point I took control.

Yesterday and today I deliberately got into the right HOV lane at both of the two-lane transitions on that stretch to verify that it wasn't a one-off occurrence. Sure enough, it did it again, at both locations, both days, in clear sunny weather. Today on the return trip northbound, just north of I-5 to 405 HOV flyover, I got into the HOV second transition lane at the end of which AP1 ran me into the double double "no man's land". This time I didn't take over but waited to see how far it would go. After a second or two, AP1 started to steer left toward the proper lane and then, (maybe confused by another double yellow to its left?) shut itself off.

I reported it to Tesla Customer Service for Auto Pilot and she said she would pull the logs and contact the CM Service Center. I don't know what the logs could show nor how such AP1 behavior could be a problem only with my car. I'm just glad that I drive with hands on wheel and that it was just painted lines rather than barrels of sand marking the lane merge.

Has anyone else experience this?

I do not remember encountering such a set-up on the road (double lanes and hash on both side). Autopilot 1 usually follows one of the lane when merging but it can fail on non typical road marking. I don't think there is an issue with yours, it is probably just a corner case that is not well recognized, but someone taking the same road can hopefully confirm. Maybe a future version will fix it, but after version 8.1 improvements will be limited.

I do not remember encountering such a set-up on the road (double lanes and hash on both side). Autopilot 1 usually follows one of the lane when merging but it can fail on non typical road marking. I don't think there is an issue with yours, it is probably just a corner case that is not well recognized, but someone taking the same road can hopefully confirm. Maybe a future version will fix it, but after version 8.1 improvements will be limited.

It is not "hash on both sides. It is double double lines with hash marks BETWEEN them to further delineate a no-go-zone. There is nothing unusual about that. You see it often at gore points of off ramps or where lanes split to both sides of bridge abutments.