Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 following distance increased recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been driving my car a lot recently, but I've had several software updates in the past few weeks. Yesterday I used AP for the first time in a while and noticed that even with the following distance set to "1" as I normally have it, the actual following distance was huge, more like if I were to set it at 4 or higher. This can be pretty annoying as plenty of cars will jump in ahead of me and cause the car to brake suddenly to maintain an artificially high following distance. Anyone else experience this lately?

Reactions: jschimel
I noticed this recently as well on my mid-2016 MS90D with AP1 and updated to MCU2. Software version where I reacted to this is 2021.40.30.8.

I did about 3500 miles of interstate driving on combinations of 44.5 and 44.6 and didn't notice it. Says for me was introduced in one of the 44.25.2, 44.30.6, or 44.30.8 variations.

I just bought my 2015 MS 70D in June 2022, and I've had the same issue where setting it to 1 results in multiple car lengths distance on the highway. I finally got around to calling the service center number today to see if it's a known problem, and they said that they weren't aware, but if anything I'd have to take it in for them to recalibrate the camera

I just bought my 2015 MS 70D in June 2022, and I've had the same issue where setting it to 1 results in multiple car lengths distance on the highway. I finally got around to calling the service center number today to see if it's a known problem, and they said that they weren't aware, but if anything I'd have to take it in for them to recalibrate the camera
AP1 probably relies more on the radar to determine follow distance more so than camera. According to Tesla documentation the number doesn't mean car number gap. "Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you." Thats for Model 3 but I'd assume its more or less the same for all vehicle types.