Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the 2020.4.1 update, the browser on my MCU1 S75D is totally nonfunctional, even on Wi-Fi in the garage. I use it so seldom, that I can't recall the last time I tried it, so I don't know if it's this update that broke it or one done in late 2019. Is it just my car or does Software 10.x kill the Web browser on all MCU1 cars?

MCU1 70D here. After 2020.4.1 update, my browser is surprisingly still working for ~6 consecutive days now. Back to it's usual glacial slowness, but at least responding to favorite sites selected or URLs typed in. By comparison, ever since early v10 the browser would completely cease to function after about 1 or 2 days even if not used in the interim. Also with this update, it was the first time in many moons that the release notes weren't blank after the update (my understanding is those rely on the browser). So I was just thinking today maybe they fixed that particular bug with the browser....

of course now that I've said that and now that I read your post, I'm sure it is just fluke and they probably didn't fix anything....

Try typing 127.0.0.1:8000 into the browser.

On an unrelated note, anyone notice the microphone icon on the browser virtual keyboard before?

It mentioned it in the release notes.

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.12.36 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
After the 2020.4.1 update, the browser on my MCU1 S75D is totally nonfunctional, even on Wi-Fi in the garage. I use it so seldom, that I can't recall the last time I tried it, so I don't know if it's this update that broke it or one done in late 2019. Is it just my car or does Software 10.x kill the Web browser on all MCU1 cars?

Replying to my own post: the browser is now working after I rebooted the MCU. I usually do that after every update but neglected it this time. Interestingly, the browser now loads pages fast enough to perhaps actually be useful, but I've tried it only on Wi-Fi in the garage, not on LTE away from home.
Sorry if I alarmed the community over this non-issue

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I've read this in other posts (forget if here or Reddit or both) but another "tip" that has been suggested for speeding up MCU1 is to clear out all old nav/map destinations. You can swipe (right IIRC?) to delete them, and if you have a lot of them, beware it may take a while.

I FEEL like it made a difference on our car, though it could just be placebo. We had about 2 years' worth of destinations, and my wonderful, beautiful, amazing wife gets lost after she exits the driveway, so she uses it a LOT, took me about 10 minutes to swipe delete everything since the day we drove out of the Tesla delivery bay.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Have you also noticed that navigation routing calculation speed has dramatically improved on MCU1 ?
It used to take minutes to show me the plan for a remote destination requiring several SuCs stops. And another minute or so to adjust the exact arrival times and charging times at each chargers.

Last time I used it was over New Years ski vacation and it was still awfully slow. I got used to just route to the next SuC to make it bearable.

Now within seconds it displays the route and the exact timings.

Who said MCU1 did not get some attention anymore...
Nice job Tesla :)

:(
Have you also noticed that navigation routing calculation speed has dramatically improved on MCU1 ?
It used to take minutes to show me the plan for a remote destination requiring several SuCs stops. And another minute or so to adjust the exact arrival times and charging times at each chargers.

Last time I used it was over New Years ski vacation and it was still awfully slow. I got used to just route to the next SuC to make it bearable.

Now within seconds it displays the route and the exact timings.

Who said MCU1 did not get some attention anymore...
Nice job Tesla :)

Great!
Now if I had a browser that still worked.
I haven't had a full time browser for almost 5 months.
I asked for help on getting it to work and it worked one time then failed again
I've given up on my 2015 :(and I am in the process of buying another MS
My car is a Garage Queen and has never seen salt or ice. Still has 265 range

I certainly would also like the browser to be stable. When it works, it can be decent.
The other bug I experience is that the Scheduled Departure always misses the target charge so pretty useless to me as is.

Indeed there are still pain points to address.
I wanted to highlight a positive improvement that required work and that, although not advertised, is appreciated.

btw in the positive, the French voice commands have seriously improved since a few days and is now great too.

2016 (pre-facelift) S70 on 2020.4.1.

I haven't heard anyone this side (east) of the Atlantic report that Scheduled Departure works for them. I put it in the same bucket as "Smart Preconditioning" (i.e. too unreliable, more likely to drain the battery than do anything useful!).

Need to see if the 127.0.0.1:8000 trick works for me - initially my web browser came back to life but gave up again after 1-2 weeks.

On the AP(1) side, I've noticed a couple of changes at low speeds:
1. It's now possible to set TACC below 18 mph (I'm sure 18 used to be the lowest it would go) - I've had it down to 5 mph & it may go lower;
2. Occasionally I use TACC like a speed limiter to help me keep to the default urban speed limit (30 mph in the UK). Since the last update it sometimes doesn't accelerate up to the limit and behaves as if TACC isn't set (or there's a phantom slower car in front) - even though the blue circle icon with target speed is displayed.

2020.8.1 just came in here.

Voice improvements -> indeed much faster and reliable at understanding my french, and acting accordingly. Very nice!

Third party chargers -> that actually came a few weeks back already in our country, without any update. What seems improved, or I did not notice earlier, is the way they are displayed: although all Tesla Destination Chargers and Third party ones are in the same list of "Other chargers" (Not sure how this is worded in english UI), they are color coded to distinguish one from the other:
- Light grey is a Tesla Destination Charger (eg Technopolis in the picture)
- Dark grey is a third party (eg Allego)
So definitly a thumbs up here as well.

70272F52-B416-43B9-A315-614A6B161540.jpeg

Drums rolling.... The browser is alive and kicking! Still 320 on html5test.
I'm of course not holding my breath, we'll see how long it remains working.

The one previous released feature I hope has been fixed for me is the Scheduled Departure.
So far, Scheduled Departure would always miss the departure hour in my case. Let's see tomorrow.

Haven't drove yet, so can't tell anything about AP1.

All in all, very happy customer here.

• Informative
Reactions: Thinkje and RobK
It's morning here.
Remember I enabled Scheduled Departure to check if it was working now for me?

Once the feature enabled, the car shows in the (iPhone) widget when it will start to achieve whatever is set. To me: 90% by 7am.
As you can see, car plans to start at 4:44am.
The HPWC is able to deliver 32A on 240V, which translate in a charge speed of 32km/h.
My 90% is about 330km, so this looked good: it would be ready by 6:45 or so.

D868A865-7C4B-40AA-9FD5-BE75CAC6E72B.jpeg

and voilà: yes! Charging started around the time planned and completed well on time.

F52DD699-DE08-4518-8807-F77EF0A77BD1.jpeg

With the Corona, I'm not traveling that much, so I guess I'll see later when the battery starts from a much lower state of charge if it still works fine.

But no reason to doubt it would not. This is great news for me. (*)

(*) With the current Pandemic, what ever upside will be great. Be safe, care for the others and keep your social distance :)

It's morning here.
Remember I enabled Scheduled Departure to check if it was working now for me?

Once the feature enabled, the car shows in the (iPhone) widget when it will start to achieve whatever is set. To me: 90% by 7am.
As you can see, car plans to start at 4:44am.
The HPWC is able to deliver 32A on 240V, which translate in a charge speed of 32km/h.
My 90% is about 330km, so this looked good: it would be ready by 6:45 or so.

View attachment 523011

and voilà: yes! Charging started around the time planned and completed well on time.

View attachment 523008

With the Corona, I'm not traveling that much, so I guess I'll see later when the battery starts from a much lower state of charge if it still works fine.

But no reason to doubt it would not. This is great news for me. (*)

(*) With the current Pandemic, what ever upside will be great. Be safe, care for the others and keep your social distance :)

I have not tried this option but I like the option to start charging at a specific time (midnight) as our electric utility company gives a huge discount to use electricity between midnight and 6:00 AM