Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if our "old" AP1 cars with get the new update (2020.12.10) that recognizes stop sign/stoplight.

It would be a neat feature but I would much prefer if Tesla cars would automatically stop/take evasive action if it sees obstacles in front or back even when autopilot is not engaged..

I wonder if our "old" AP1 cars with get the new update (2020.12.10) that recognizes stop sign/stoplight.

It would be a neat feature but I would much prefer if Tesla cars would automatically stop/take evasive action if it sees obstacles in front or back even when autopilot is not engaged..

no way; there has been no active development for our old mobileye camera in about 2 years. I have seen some autopilot changes in that time, like lane changing, but not in regards to the camera’s “vision”

As I recall, Amnon Shashua said years ago that the IQ3 chip in our cars was capable of seeing stop signs and traffic signals. The function has simply not been activated after the “divorce”. They won’t pay the current owner of the tech the licence fee to allow upgrade.
Here is a direct comparison website, and yes there are still a couple of functions that could be unlocked.
The Evolution of EyeQ - Mobileye

Last edited:
As I recall, Amnon Shashua said years ago that the IQ3 chip in our cars was capable of seeing stop signs and traffic signals. The function has simply not been activated after the “divorce”. They won’t pay the current owner of the tech the licence fee to allow upgrade.
Here is a direct comparison website, and yes there are still a couple of functions that could be unlocked.
The Evolution of EyeQ - Mobileye

You would think the stop sign would be easy, after programming the camera to be able to distinguish the difference between 55 and 85 speed signs. (whether km/h or mph)

I am curious to know as to what charging rate (Miles/hour) "old Tesla" owners are getting on their 240V home charging system that Tesla had recommended. I am currently getting 22 miles/hour on our 2015 Tesla 85 S. Is this reasonable? Are there any settings to increase this rate?

I read somewhere that the newer Tesla S are getting 45 miles/hour charging on 240 V home charger. That is nice.

Reactions: chrisgla
Just received an email from TESLA informing me that they will upgrade the 8GB eMMC chip with a new 64 GB eMMC chip, at no charge when I start having problem with the MCU1. I am assuming that this email must have gone to all "old" Tesla S/X owners.

Does the eMMC chip upgrade mean that we will be on MCU2 or still on MUC1 with newer eMMC chip?

What functionality will I lose with this upgrade, if any?

Does it make sense to upgrade from 3G to LTE with this upgrade? I don't get Tunein most of the time.

I have not had any issues with my MCU1 so far. Is it a functionality of low milage (21K) on my 2015 S85 car?

Thanks.

Does the eMMC chip upgrade mean that we will be on MCU2...

No. The recall is about the eMMC so you still have MCU1 and you will not get a free MCU2.

...What functionality will I lose with this upgrade, if any?...

Your MCU1 function will be the same but I am not sure whether some memory will need to be retrained such as HomeLink, wi-fi passwords...

...Does it make sense to upgrade from 3G to LTE with this upgrade? I don't get Tunein most of the time...

In your case, maybe not.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Just received an email from TESLA informing me that they will upgrade the 8GB eMMC chip with a new 64 GB eMMC chip, at no charge when I start having problem with the MCU1. I am assuming that this email must have gone to all "old" Tesla S/X owners.

Does the eMMC chip upgrade mean that we will be on MCU2 or still on MUC1 with newer eMMC chip?

What functionality will I lose with this upgrade, if any?

Does it make sense to upgrade from 3G to LTE with this upgrade? I don't get Tunein most of the time.

I have not had any issues with my MCU1 so far. Is it a functionality of low milage (21K) on my 2015 S85 car?

Thanks.
It is probably a function of low mileage and not having AP2.0 hardware. The AP2.0 hardware seems to cause the MCU to do more work and wear out the flash faster.

• Informative
Reactions: RobK
Good idea but I have never done it before.
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.16.59 PM.png

go to the main Model S forum, see that post thread button on the top right? click it. You will see the screen below:

put in your thread title, then your question in the body of the message, then click that post thread button on the bottom.

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.21.18 PM.png