Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's be honest. V9 is a mess.
LOL, you don't use it how is it a mess? Because someone on the interwebs told you it's a mess?

I'm on the same crusade. V8 may be older, but it's objectively better.
Good for you, the echo-chamber suits you. Not sure about the objectivity of your observation. There are way more people happy with v9 then the ~dozen folks on TMC starting the same threads and parroting the same "grievances" for 3 years straight.

LOL, you don't use it how is it a mess? Because someone on the interwebs told you it's a mess?

Two weeks of loaners combined. You really don't know what you're talking about it. Have you flown into very many windows :p

There are way more people happy with v9 then the ~dozen folks on TMC starting the same threads and parroting the same "grievances" for 3 years straight.

There aren't way more people happier with v9 than v8. Those that are "happy" with v9 never had v8 to begin with or they're just tolerating v9.

Last edited:
I find your crusade fascinating... in the same way as watching a bird fly into a closed window over and over again.
You purchased the most technologically advanced car at the time and want to get stuck on a 3 year old OS? That's a rhetorical question, I've read your diatribes concerns over the years.

Can you blame him though? My 85D is unaffected by the range/performance hamstring but if I had an older version of the software and a new version would potentially hamstring my performance and usable range I would do everything possible to not update it either.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and sorka
You must think you are very special.
I have ~110k miles on my Tesla and I started on v8 -- would never go back to v8. but hey you do you!

You're in the very very small minority of those that had v8 and say they are now happier with v9.
Personally I don't believe it. Honestly, I think you've got an agenda that you're not being truthful. Of course you really could like it better which would make you "special".:rolleyes:

Also, subtract all of those with AP2.5. They HAVE to have v9 to have the latest and greatest so although they may prefer v8, they don't "regret upgrading to v9". Those of us with AP1/MCU1 get ZERO benefit from v9. No new features, the UI looks worse, stuff is just broken left right up and down, and it takes more button presses to do almost anything.

Also, subtract all of those with AP2.5. They HAVE to have v9 to have the latest and greatest so although they may prefer v8, they don't "regret upgrading to v9". Those of us with AP1/MCU1 get ZERO benefit from v9. No new features, the UI looks worse, stuff is just broken left right up and down, and it takes more button presses to do almost anything.

Absolutely accurate.

Those of us with AP1/MCU1 get ZERO benefit from v9.
I am on AP1/MCU1 and outside the echo-chamber on this forum that are part of your crusade, people I actually know (not through a forum) in the same boat as myself, who purchased around the same time as me (2016) agree that v9 is an improvement on v8. ~110k miles in ~3 years, you'd think I have encountered ALL those issues and joined the hate club right along with you. But alas, I like v9 and I look forward to getting v10, even though I will not benefit from AP updates or sentry updates or game updates or whatever else my MCU will not support. I want to see what improvements I get on an "old" Tesla. When we get our next X, I will enjoy comparing my "legacy" X to the new X and seeing how far the company has come along.

You enjoy the crusade... I wish you the same success you've achieved so far in it.

I am on AP1/MCU1 and outside the echo-chamber on this forum that are part of your crusade, people I actually know (not through a forum) in the same boat as myself, who purchased around the same time as me (2016) agree that v9 is an improvement on v8. ~110k miles in ~3 years, you'd think I have encountered ALL those issues and joined the hate club right along with you. But alas, I like v9 and I look forward to getting v10, even though I will not benefit from AP updates or sentry updates or game updates or whatever else my MCU will not support. I want to see what improvements I get on an "old" Tesla. When we get our next X, I will enjoy comparing my "legacy" X to the new X and seeing how far the company has come along.

You enjoy the crusade... I wish you the same success you've achieved so far in it.

It would be a crusade if I was trying to convince others not to upgrade. I've simply explained why I don't want to. It's a personal choice.

That said, you are in the minority as evidenced by the responses in this thread and the dozens of other threads echoing the same sentiment. Since you are in the minority and you're trying to convince me and everyone else that THEY are wrong, it sure seems to me that you are the one embarking on the crusade;)

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and Barry

You give me some hope, but I’ll stick with the devil I know, for now. Everything’s working just fine.

I actually do like trying out new things. I had Windows 8 on one computer and decided to stick with Win 7 everywhere else. I recently tried Window 10 and found it was fine for me, so now I've moved on to that. The problem with Tesla is that once you've updated, there's no going back. I suppose I could rent a car and try it out for a week, but that's a lot of work and expense. I'm happy where I am.
Now, I'm off to spend a few bees for a new belt onion. They say the white ones are better, but I still like the big yellow ones.

Reviewing history is certainly no waste of time but I agree with bmah there's no reason to make it personal (we sure are passionate about these cars aren't we :D

the UI looks worse
It looks worse ? I don't agree there, it looks great to me. But usability suffered, it became undeniably worse from a usability standpoint (it's been studied).

To me the V8-V9 change suggested that we had suddenly become the middle child, but for a good cause so I'm on-board for this whole ride. I'll probably tap that install now button as soon as I can reach it 5 or 6 times :cool:

My prediction is they will further "dumb it down" with larger, bolder text and targets, which would be improvements. And I'm sure they'll find a way to wedge it into MCU1 since they already went through the bother of migrating over the whole new codebase for us with V9.

Reactions: sorka
I’ve had v6 for a little while, then 7, 8 and 9.
176k km/110k miles.
Loved them all and though Mcu1 struggles a bit (*) with 9, I like the always on map.
I think Tesla folks take time to work on the design and make it as adequate primarily for a car use by a driver that needs to be as little distracted as possible.
But that does lead to decisions that don’t please all.
For instance, the decision to have your map go back to the full route/trip view after you search or zoom the map can be at times annoying but often it avoid you having to reach out to that top right icon to get back to the trip view.

Just adding my voice in the camp of happy with v9.

And really curious as to what v10 will bring.

(*) I say a little bit as comparatively v6 was damn slow in my opinion and memory. It could take a few seconds just to bring the settings menu. Tesla has kept on optimizing the UI responsiveness and also in the nav for Mcu1. Remember the previous navigon?

I say a little bit as comparatively v6 was damn slow in my opinion and memory. It could take a few seconds just to bring the settings menu. Tesla has kept on optimizing the UI responsiveness and also in the nav for Mcu1. Remember the previous navigon?
It's funny how when 7.0 came out, this forum was full of complaints and users wanting to go back to 6.2. 6.2 was perfect; why did Tesla screw it up?

Then 8.0 came out. Terrible. 7.0 was wonderful.

Now that 9.0 has been out, and the cycle repeats itself. There are those who are passionate about their hate for 9.0 that they treat it as a "fact" that it's bad. Please bring back 8.0 :rolleyes:

So, following to its logical conclusion, all Tesla needs to do is bring back 6.2 and the world will be wonderful again. Please bring back the huge battery in the middle of the IC that only stoked range anxiety. Bring back the skeuomorphic shelf of app controls that wasted so much of the MCU screen real estate. Bring back the energy meter on the IC that created enough peripheral motion to induce motion sickness.

So far out of this thread I tend to agree with Sorka on this one. I have a 2.5 car and really enjoy V9 better than V8 and since I get something out of V9 am willing to put up with a few issues. In Sorka's defense he get's nothing out of V9 but the issues and should be allowed to stay on V8 unless Tesla is able to confirm a safety issue. In the soon to be future Tesla will have to stop pushing UI updates to MCU1 cars and this will start a whole new issue. Apple struggles with this with each IOS because so many people hold on to their devices for longer than they were intended. It will be interesting to see what Tesla does in 5 years with all the MCU1 cars I can only imagen how the FW will be parsed out.

Reactions: Cyclone