Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good test. So... are we going to need one of those remote starters from ICE cars? :rolleyes:
Argh! Preheated again yesterday 10/15 minutes while plugged in...but had NO regen! 5 full yellow dashes and no braking. :( It was 1 degree colder 4C, than the previous day. Regen returned after being on the highway for a few (7)? Minutes. About 80% SOC when I started. Car was toasty. Had the fire going in the ferry parking lot! :)

Argh! Preheated again yesterday 10/15 minutes while plugged in...but had NO regen! 5 full yellow dashes and no braking. :( It was 1 degree colder 4C, than the previous day. Regen returned after being on the highway for a few (7)? Minutes. About 80% SOC when I started. Car was toasty. Had the fire going in the ferry parking lot! :)
Preheat will do next to nothing in 10-15 minutes. You might see a little increase in regen after about a half hour or so, but even then, it won't be much.

Reactions: dark cloud
I'm on 2019.40.2 and stopped using the scheduled departure as it was too random at meeting the departure time readiness.
I.e. departure time = 7AM, with 90% -> at 7AM barely 80%. Some time more, some time less. (and yes, plenty of time and kw available to hit the target).

Is this something that was solved in the more recent 40.2.1/40.2.2/40.2.3 releases ?

Reactions: Lex
I'm on 2019.40.2 and stopped using the scheduled departure as it was too random at meeting the departure time readiness.
I.e. departure time = 7AM, with 90% -> at 7AM barely 80%. Some time more, some time less. (and yes, plenty of time and kw available to hit the target).

Is this something that was solved in the more recent 40.2.1/40.2.2/40.2.3 releases ?
I actually just used this feature for the first time last night. My departure time was set for 5:15AM. It was done charging (85%) about 45 min early. Software 2019.40.2.3.
Since it got done so early I'm going to move it ahead 15 min to my real departure time of 5:30.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
I actually just used this feature for the first time last night. My departure time was set for 5:15AM. It was done charging (85%) about 45 min early. Software 2019.40.2.3.
Since it got done so early I'm going to move it ahead 15 min to my real departure time of 5:30.

I noticed the same thing on AP1/MCU1 with 2019.40.2.3. When I use "scheduled departure time" the charge finishes way early when charging @ 240v and 30a. I am going to try to set my time to the real time, or 15 minutes past.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and AustinP
I've also stopped using Scheduled Departure. I've gone back to manually dragging the charge level, charging to around 75% overnight then trying to top up in the AM (then remembering to reduce the charge level back down because my MAX CHARGE NOW idea has gone nowhere). I use a combo of cabin heaters and trying to add charge to warm up the pack, but I rarely if ever get to leave home without some limited regen (come to think of it I don't think I ever see the battery warming icon on the app anymore at all).

When it's really cold out (parked outside) and I'm trying to heat up the cabin as well, there is often 0% added to the pack even after an hour or so... I use the standard charge cable in a 220V 40A outlet (draws 32A max in Canada), I'm wondering if the heaters are taking all the juice, or if the battery never gets warm enough to charge ?

In any case, I'm feeling more and more like a Tesla orphan with this old MCU1. And even if/when an upgrade is made available, I'd be even more concerned for any remaining MCU1 cars out there, as they'll likely get nothing but security patches / power reductions.

Oh, and my keyfob proximity unlock has started to work reliably on its own again... maybe somebody is logging into my MCU and messing with my sanity :oops:

Reactions: BozieBeMe2

Answering my own question: I asked and received 40.2.3 last night.
Same failed behavior.

Does it have to be on wifi to get software update notifications? I don't have it connected all the time and it's still on 40.2.1

No. It just needs to be on WiFi to download the update. My S85D is now installing 2020.4.1, which it started fetching as soon as I pulled into my garage and it got on the house WiFi. But before that I had a yellow download icon in the top row of the CID (changed to green when it started the actual download).

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits and Lex
Ugh.. you guys are upgrading eh.. I do like new features and all, but I'm really worried they still think we're all just swell on our every-destination-erased, all-the-Trip-computers-reset, and rebooting-every-few-hours-to-get-browser-back (hopefully) MCU1, and adding new features could only make things worse not better, right ? Here's the general thread: 2020.4

There is a suggestion by an MCU1 owner in there that the voice controls are even more wonky now, not better...

Ugh.. you guys are upgrading eh.. I do like new features and all, but I'm really worried they still think we're all just swell on our every-destination-erased, all-the-Trip-computers-reset, and rebooting-every-few-hours-to-get-browser-back (hopefully) MCU1, and adding new features could only make things worse not better, right ? Here's the general thread: 2020.4

There is a suggestion by an MCU1 owner in there that the voice controls are even more wonky now, not better...

I'm not quite as doom-and-gloom as that. I've been pretty happy with the way the software works for me, for the most part. (cough fix USB media cough) Admittedly I don't use the browser or voice commands.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I'm not quite as doom-and-gloom as that. I've been pretty happy with the way the software works for me, for the most part. (cough fix USB media cough) Admittedly I don't use the browser or voice commands.

So ... you simply don't use the two most damaged features ... I've gotta wonder, was it by choice ? I barely use voice too because it triggers unreliably with my MCU1 and OG 3G and I can't rely on the browser anymore because it is so unreliable and is guaranteed to crash eventually. When I had voice in my 2006 Dodge (with 2007 MyGig) I used voice all the time. Worked great. Miss that.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
So ... you simply don't use the two most damaged features ... I've gotta wonder, was it by choice ? I barely use voice too because it triggers unreliably with my MCU1 and OG 3G and I can't rely on the browser anymore because it is so unreliable and is guaranteed to crash eventually. When I had voice in my 2006 Dodge (with 2007 MyGig) I used voice all the time. Worked great. Miss that.

Yes by choice. I don't care to use those features.

I've always thought (since I bought the car with software v6.2) the Web browser on the center screen was more of a gimmick than being actually useful. It's too hard for me to work the browser with a hand at the end of an outstretched arm, looking way off to the side. I always have my smartphone with me, which I can place where it makes more ergonomic sense for me.

I have never regularly used any of the other voice control features. I had voice control on my Prius and the only two things I used it for were for setting the temperature and the audio input source. I guess voice control isn't a big deal for me. (Admittedly I'd rather have physical knobs for some functions, rather than have to use the touchscreen, but that doesn't have to do with software updates.)

2020.4.1 finished installing, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get to drive the car next (might not be until tomorrow morning when I go to work).

Bruce.