Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never regularly used any of the other voice control features. I had voice control on my Prius and the only two things I used it for were for setting the temperature and the audio input source.

Bruce.

And now you can do it again on the model S. It is much easier and safer than taking your eyes off the road and attempting to hit the temperature up icon, then checking that you hit the right spot. And how about a guy who wants to turn on all seat heaters by simply saying it, as opposed to clicking the touchscreen 5 times in the precise positions. Huge improvement. You specifically ask which seats you want on; drivers, or front seats, or all, and it works!

I have already read that what I consider the most desirable voice option: suspension adjustment isn't an option, but the best part is when you ask the car to do that it responds "not available yet". I hope that implies it will happen soon.

And now you can do it again on the model S. It is much easier and safer than taking your eyes off the road and attempting to hit the temperature up icon, then checking that you hit the right spot.

Actually I have things set up so I can use the right-side scroll button on the steering wheel to control temperature, which I think is even better. But I'll probably give the voice command thing a try anyway.

And how about a guy who wants to turn on all seat heaters by simply saying it, as opposed to clicking the touchscreen 5 times in the precise positions. Huge improvement. You specifically ask which seats you want on; drivers, or front seats, or all, and it works!

Ahem, only 2 seat heaters on my car. No cold weather package. :)

I have already read that what I consider the most desirable voice option: suspension adjustment isn't an option, but the best part is when you ask the car to do that it responds "not available yet". I hope that implies it will happen soon.

That's kinda interesting...

Bruce.

Well well, 2020.4.1 is now up and running in my 70D and I can't say, so far, that it's worse in any way... it even seems more stable in my short drive so far. The better voice control seems to be functioning, but with the same activation / deactivation glitches that have been there since the removal of hold-to-talk. Can't set the seat heaters to certain "bacon" levels though (yet.. let's keep trying to tell Tesla we want to :)

We even got some release notes, first time in a while.
2020-40-1-whatsnew.png

Barry I hear you, but I gotta say this one technically adds some features for us, and so far, it *seems* more stable, so maybe it's an "upgrade" after all... I had quite a bit of use of my Model S today and didn't experience a single browser lock-up, and I even turned on the traffic display again to thrash it good.

Browser response seemed a bit better overall (though I've already factory reset and keep the destinations and trip computers wiped as often as possible now). And other than the (similar to same old) issues with the voice control response / activation / deactivation, I was not once frustrated today, like I surely would have been on the old firmware within ~20 minutes of trying to use the browser. Perhaps this is our MCU1 "optimization" after all.. I noticed one of my fave streaming channels was still stuttering but others seemed fine so not sure there.

One thing I didn't get working so far is text messaging, the error said I need iOS 13 on my iPhone and I have that but perhaps there's still something else I need to configure haven't got around to that yet.

Barry I hear you, but I gotta say this one technically adds some features for us, and so far, it *seems* more stable, so maybe it's an "upgrade" after all... I had quite a bit of use of my Model S today and didn't experience a single browser lock-up, and I even turned on the traffic display again to thrash it good.

Browser response seemed a bit better overall (though I've already factory reset and keep the destinations and trip computers wiped as often as possible now). And other than the (similar to same old) issues with the voice control response / activation / deactivation, I was not once frustrated today, like I surely would have been on the old firmware within ~20 minutes of trying to use the browser. Perhaps this is our MCU1 "optimization" after all.. I noticed one of my fave streaming channels was still stuttering but others seemed fine so not sure there.

One thing I didn't get working so far is text messaging, the error said I need iOS 13 on my iPhone and I have that but perhaps there's still something else I need to configure haven't got around to that yet.

I agree, so far I am rather impressed by how smoothly it works. Text messaging was up and running right away and voice recognition is much, much better than I expected. I am not the best at enunciating and it is pretty amazing to see what the car hears me saying (mostly nonsense) and how it extrapolates to correctly assume what I am actually saying.

I happened to be sitting inside the car during the update and that whine was triggered halfway through the process. So loud in fact that it almost felt like the car was going to take off and fly away. So yes, part of the battery management changes for sure.
What does this whine indicate?
How is it physical changing the car & why?
My car was perfect before & I hate to think that it now has been put into 'limp mode'.
Our average 100% was 265, only 2 miles down from when it was delivered!
Now, I bet I will be hampered on long trips by range issues and terribly long charge times. After 4 years and 31,000 miles, I really take issue with dumbing down my car. Work on issues like the MCU 1, missing voice commands, less than stellar AP. The ability to have media automatically lower or raise volume.
You know, stuff that is broken, not lowering my range or charge times!

What does this whine indicate?
How is it physical changing the car & why?
My car was perfect before & I hate to think that it now has been put into 'limp mode'.
Our average 100% was 265, only 2 miles down from when it was delivered!
Now, I bet I will be hampered on long trips by range issues and terribly long charge times. After 4 years and 31,000 miles, I really take issue with dumbing down my car. Work on issues like the MCU 1, missing voice commands, less than stellar AP. The ability to have media automatically lower or raise volume.
You know, stuff that is broken, not lowering my range or charge times!

Not an expert by any means, but I believe the whine likely came from the battery's thermal management system. So I assume that the update was recalibrating the system, or something along those lines.

I thought about asking evergreen to see what his thoughts were on the whine
I thought about asking evergreen to see what his thoughts were on the whine
Updated: greentheonly said he doubted that it was anything other than the coolant pump and to check with service if it continued.
So, I will monitor the behaviour and note the changes

Installed 2020.4.1 on my AP1/MCU1 P85 (2014). It has completely busted voice recognition for me. I’ve done an MCU and IC reboot and no significant improvement. Voice recognition had no trouble with my voice before—now I can barely get it to register a single word.

Will let the car sleep overnight, sip some electrons, and hopefully it will wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to listen to my demands.

If the car doesn’t want to listen to my demands in the morning, I’ll find someone at the service center who does :p.

Installed 2020.4.1 on my AP1/MCU1 P85 (2014). It has completely busted voice recognition for me. I’ve done an MCU and IC reboot and no significant improvement. Voice recognition had no trouble with my voice before—now I can barely get it to register a single word.

Will let the car sleep overnight, sip some electrons, and hopefully it will wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to listen to my demands.

If the car doesn’t want to listen to my demands in the morning, I’ll find someone at the service center who does :p.

As someone else said in some other thread it is not your car but may be a server overload issue. And guess how many people have just upgraded to 2020.4.1 and are all trying to use the new voice command feature at the same time?

Installing 2020.4.1 on a 2016 AP1 75D. Fingers crossed it doesn't break anything.

First drive in the morning seemed uneventful. They did tweak regen for sure. Still takes a while to get back in colder weather but it seems more gradual now. Otherwise voice commands seem to be working (except for the very first one I tried. "Open glovebox" is not there yet).

On the other hand, I do feel the MCU even more laggy now. Haven't reset it since the update and I noticed it quickly when trying to scroll left/right through the slacker stations.

Just chiming in with experience from our ‘17 MCU1 and weirdly noticed the MCU was more responsive after this update, so who knows?! (Moving around it was more fluid, bringing up the rear cam was smooth, switching back to the music app, etc.)

Didn’t have a long drive but the few little voice tests I did worked fine, will definitely enjoy using those to keep the hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Did NOT get a chance to try text messaging.

Reactions: Lex
Just chiming in with experience from our ‘17 MCU1 and weirdly noticed the MCU was more responsive after this update, so who knows?! (Moving around it was more fluid, bringing up the rear cam was smooth, switching back to the music app, etc.)

Didn’t have a long drive but the few little voice tests I did worked fine, will definitely enjoy using those to keep the hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Did NOT get a chance to try text messaging.
I gave new text messaging a test and when it works, it works great, but it's most certainly beta there are some bugs. I had it in a state where you couldn't do what you were supposed to at least a couple of times. But this is the first new major feature in a while, getting that Tesla new car smell feeling again :D It will allow me to get a lot done while traveling so I'm excited.

Probably just the cloud server overload as others reported... voice control overall is an exciting upgrade but as others say, it's great when it works.

Voice activate/deactivate bug - seems they don't want you to tap off anymore, ever. One tap or at least wait for command to appear in full before pressing again but it seems to be moving to a one-tap system now. I still had it activate the radio when I was talking and turning it off when it was done listening, but maybe it's because I'm still tapping off so much.

Oh an related to above, my cellular (3G) is dropping far more frequently, reminiscent of the old releases where any MCU stress would just make cellular drop. Welcome back :eek: but, in exchange, the browser lock-up issue seems resolved - slow grind to a halt seems to have been fixed.

More lag and studdering on music streaming (TuneIn) on some channels, it seems...

Overall it seems to be an improvement.. but an improvement in need of improvement :cool:

Not an expert by any means, but I believe the whine likely came from the battery's thermal management system. So I assume that the update was recalibrating the system, or something along those lines.
Updated: greentheonly said he doubted that it was anything other than the coolant pump and to check with service if it continued.
So, I will monitor the behaviour and note the changes

After I installed 2020.4.1 on my AP1/MCU I started hearing the dreaded high pitched whine when parked in the garage for the evening.
I would really like to understand the root cause and source of the persistent noise coming from the car.

After the 2020.4.1 update, the browser on my MCU1 S75D is totally nonfunctional, even on Wi-Fi in the garage. I use it so seldom, that I can't recall the last time I tried it, so I don't know if it's this update that broke it or one done in late 2019. Is it just my car or does Software 10.x kill the Web browser on all MCU1 cars?