Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received firmware update 2020.8.1.1 for our 2015 Tesla S 85. There were no upgrades other than better Bluetooth connectivity. For the first time for me software installation failed 3 times when starting from my iPhone. Finally it worked after I asked it to install it from the car.

One thin that intrigues me is why did we get 2020.8.1.1 instead of the newer 2020.12 that few AP1 uses have received. Is there differentiation among the AP1 cars?

Just received firmware update 2020.8.1.1 for our 2015 Tesla S 85. There were no upgrades other than better Bluetooth connectivity. For the first time for me software installation failed 3 times when starting from my iPhone. Finally it worked after I asked it to install it from the car.
I had basically the same experience today on my 2015 70D, I tried updating via the app and it failed 3 times in a row (first time it has done that). So I updated manually from within the car and it completed. In addition to Bluetooth improvements, the release note also showed Improved voice command reliability and additional language support (I was on 2020.40.1 prior to today). One other observation: maybe coincidental or perhaps a sign of aging MCU1, but when I got in the car to start the update, the IC display was blank and wouldn't come up at all. Never seen that before. So I did a two scroll wheel reboot and things came back to normal. Did the software update after that and things looked fine.

• Informative
Reactions: RobK
I had basically the same experience today on my 2015 70D, I tried updating via the app and it failed 3 times in a row (first time it has done that). So I updated manually from within the car and it completed. In addition to Bluetooth improvements, the release note also showed Improved voice command reliability and additional language support (I was on 2020.40.1 prior to today). One other observation: maybe coincidental or perhaps a sign of aging MCU1, but when I got in the car to start the update, the IC display was blank and wouldn't come up at all. Never seen that before. So I did a two scroll wheel reboot and things came back to normal. Did the software update after that and things looked fine.
I had the same thing happen except that would not update from inside either. Called tech support who told me there was an issue with the instrument console failing to talk to the rest of the system. Instructed to reboot both screens and try again. That worked!!

Now, today, i had a microphone issue, with it not recognising inputs and telling me it would work with the next drive cycle. It didn’t 3 times over until it did. I rebooted both screens again and it now seems to be working. Incidentally, the MCU reboot takes far longer than it used to. Maybe double or even 3 times as long. WTF? Is the computer that outdated that it cant handle the current data load? Conspiracy theory - are they trying to force us to upgrade to MCU2 when it becomes available for us older cars? Mine is 2014.

• Informative
Reactions: RobK
I had the same thing happen except that would not update from inside either. Called tech support who told me there was an issue with the instrument console failing to talk to the rest of the system. Instructed to reboot both screens and try again. That worked!!

Now, today, i had a microphone issue, with it not recognising inputs and telling me it would work with the next drive cycle. It didn’t 3 times over until it did. I rebooted both screens again and it now seems to be working. Incidentally, the MCU reboot takes far longer than it used to. Maybe double or even 3 times as long. WTF? Is the computer that outdated that it cant handle the current data load? Conspiracy theory - are they trying to force us to upgrade to MCU2 when it becomes available for us older cars? Mine is 2014.

It seems that like PCs, Tesla computers need rebooting to clear the system. Like ALT-CTL_DEL for PCs, Tesla need SCROLL-SCROLL-BRAKE

Every update results in a reboot. This rumor that another reboot is necessary just won't die.
Tell that to my media system, crazy buzzing in the speakers and lack of the Streaming (Slacker) channel
ReBoot and the gremlins go away.
Besides, my friendly Tesla SC & the phone operator at the bug reporting center, seems to believe in this Old Wife's Tale too
I did noticed that after each update on my 2015 MS85D, I had to log into my Slacker account and reset the high quality bit rate

Last edited:
Tell that to my media system, crazy buzzing in the speakers and lack of the Streaming (Slacker) channel
ReBoot and the gremlins go away.
Besides, my friendly Tesla SC & the phone operator at the bug reporting center, seems to believe in this Old Wife's Tale too
I did noticed that after each update on my 2015 MS85D, I had to log into my Slacker account and reset the high quality bit rate
Believe what you will but the update sequence clearly reboots as the final step. If you can provide any (non-anecdotal) evidence why a second reboot does anything, please share.

Anecdotally, I have accepted every update since 6.2, have never done an additional reboot after an update, and I have never had any of these gremlins of which you speak.

It's morning here.
Remember I enabled Scheduled Departure to check if it was working now for me?

Once the feature enabled, the car shows in the (iPhone) widget when it will start to achieve whatever is set. To me: 90% by 7am.
As you can see, car plans to start at 4:44am.
The HPWC is able to deliver 32A on 240V, which translate in a charge speed of 32km/h.
My 90% is about 330km, so this looked good: it would be ready by 6:45 or so.

View attachment 523011

and voilà: yes! Charging started around the time planned and completed well on time.

View attachment 523008

With the Corona, I'm not traveling that much, so I guess I'll see later when the battery starts from a much lower state of charge if it still works fine.

But no reason to doubt it would not. This is great news for me.

Here is a sad follow up about the scheduled departure feature.
It’s still not ok here.
The limited driving still managed to drain the battery below 50% and so I tried it again.
It failed... missing by 1h the target.

BE69D214-B1FB-4C8E-B953-2579ECEB1C35.jpeg

Bottom line... anyway, not driving much lately, back to the waiting line.

2020.12.5 is rolling out... to AP2.x according to Teslafi.

@MorrisonHiker (AP2.0 with MCU1 car) reported here: Where’s 2020.12.5? (thanks for that)

Not much new features... but hopefully a lot of "bug" fixes (browser, scheduled departure, better SuC charge profile speed,...)

Anyone with AP1 or PreAP received it ?

2016 90D AP1/MCU1 installing now....

Edit: Install completed. I'd post a pic but it is a PITA to post pics on this forum. Release notes were only "Out of Order Super charger stalls" and "minor improvements and bug fixes". Once I clicked on the "Software tab" to double check the version it started to download new maps. Old map data was NA-2016.20-10487, new maps just show a progress bar so far.

Last edited:

Edit: Install completed. I'd post a pic but it is a PITA to post pics on this forum. Release notes were only "Out of Order Super charger stalls" and "minor improvements and bug fixes". Once I clicked on the "Software tab" to double check the version it started to download new maps. Old map data was NA-2016.20-10487, new maps just show a progress bar so far.
Thanks. So pretty much like here.

Follow up: Maps version is 2020.12-11866 which is the same as others.

Follow up: Maps version is 2020.12-11866 which is the same as others.

No idea how long it has taken in the past for map updates; don't know the size of this one as I have no software to view download/upload data, and I have no idea what the differences are compared to the 10487 version. :)

But on wifi (70-90 kbps download speed) it took my car about 8 hours to download that new map update 2020.12-11866.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2