Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon recently announced V10 coming later this year. The current estimate is August, so realistically we can expect late Sept/early Oct.
A lot of the announced features seem focused on newer hardware. Is this the update that leaves the older cars in the dust? Will we get anything besides a new GUI for everyone to complain about? Will we get V10 at all?

“V10 will include several games & infotainment features, improved highway Autopilot, better traffic light & stop sign recognition & Smart Summon.”
"several games": This is probably geared toward the Model 3, and probably other cars with MCU2 as well. We can forget this one was ever brought up.

"infotainment features": This is pretty vague. Elon confirmed they're adding the ability to send and receive text messages via voice. MCU1 might be capable of it, but will they implement it? There's also rumors floating around of adding more streaming services (music and video) and revamping the music system UI. I wouldn't be surprised if that was only for M3/MCU2 folks. It's a good discussion point.

"improved highway Autopilot": What are the chances they're improving AP1 code? I'm not keeping my hopes up.

"better traffic light & stop sign recognition & Smart Summon": This is definitely AP2+ only.

There was also a discussion of something called "Joe mode", which is just reduced volume alert chimes. At least we can look forward to that, I guess.

For some perspective: 6.0 = Oct 2014, 7.0 = Oct 2015, 8.0 = Nov 2016, 8.1 = Apr 2017, 9.0 = Oct 2018
So given Elon's announcement, expecting something to happen in Q4 2019 seems realistic to me.

I look forward to v10 with a mixture of hope and trepidation. My concern is that we've reached a point where AP1/MCU1 cars are legacy technology and no longer matter. New OS versions and new features are written to take advantage of the current generation of hardware. I also worry about the continued focus on games, which should be taking a distant back seat to improving the driving experience.

In the best-case scenario, Tesla has considered the feedback provided by owners about the steps backward that v9 took for Model S and Model X, read the Nielsen Norman Group UI study, and have not simply dismissed these concerns. Hopefully usability of on-screen controls will be improved, and not just by adding more voice commands (but even adding voice commands would be progress.)

In the next-best case scenario, we don't get any improvements for AP1/MCU1, but we also don't lose features or experience slower performance relative to prior versions on our older hardware. Even without user-visible improvements, we would benefit from having the latest code and security fixes.

The worst-case scenario is that v10 removes more features, or performance slows down in a noticeable way.

The worst-case scenario is that v10 removes more features, or performance slows down in a noticeable way.
Unfortunately this is what happened with v9. How does Tesla realistically respond to feedback about the UI? Throughout v9 they seemed to have attempted to make improvements, but still tried their best to stick with the UI they came up with.
I'm excited to see what they come up with if they revamp the UI. At the very least, I hope I don't feel the need to join in on the inevitable "v10 sucks" threads.

Reactions: Lex
hi,
old mcu1 should be able to handle with no problems youtube and netflix for me , according to tegra3 specs

extract from Tegra - Wikipedia

Tegra 3 is the first Tegra release to support ARM's SIMD extension, NEON.

The GPU in Tegra 3 is an evolution of the Tegra 2 GPU, with 4 additional pixel shader units and higher clock frequency. It can also output video up to 2560×1600 resolution and supports 1080p MPEG-4 AVC/h.264 40 Mbit/s High-Profile, VC1-AP, and simpler forms of MPEG-4 such as DivX and Xvid.[30]

The Tegra 3 was released on November 9, 2011.[31]

Honestly, i wish that they would also do bigger companies like amazon video also. Not everyone has netflix, but i get it - its more popular thus is the reason for the port. I feel that netflix is garbage with the exception of some originals of course.

Unfortunately this is what happened with v9. How does Tesla realistically respond to feedback about the UI? Throughout v9 they seemed to have attempted to make improvements, but still tried their best to stick with the UI they came up with.
I'm excited to see what they come up with if they revamp the UI. At the very least, I hope I don't feel the need to join in on the inevitable "v10 sucks" threads.

Sorry, but I think you have too much faith. I'd argue Tesla needed something token to say they tried to fix V9 (camera). They stopped. What is it you feel will be "inevitable" about V10, people's complaints it "sucks", or that Tesla will indeed seize the opportunity to go backward, again? As has been pointed out, V10 won't be a question of being "left in the dust". It is how much the company will push the cars further backward.
Remember, V9:
-broke browser
-eliminated an energy display
-brought many touch controls to the bottom
-forced full time maps
-ditched app flipping, top/bottom

It is okay to say things "suck", if they suck. All I'd do if my UI improved, is stay in my car. I don't think that is what Tesla is aiming for.

I'm very happy with my 70D overall but I must agree that the UI issues are not getting better. The trend has been in the opposite direction.

I'm not excited about arcade games and video playback in my car, not even sure I'd care if I had a brand new Model 3 (owning a Model 3 seems to me to be way more "prestigious" tech-wise than Model S right now). I don't carry a tablet anymore, the new phone sizes work for almost everything.

Elon and Tesla should consider some actual marketing at this point, instead of relying on twitter and gimmicks. In aggregate the press they generate is hardly fair or positive anyway, so what's the point again ? Likes and retweets ?

Reactions: kavyboy
I'm very happy with my 70D overall but I must agree that the UI issues are not getting better. The trend has been in the opposite direction.

I'm not excited about arcade games and video playback in my car, not even sure I'd care if I had a brand new Model 3 (owning a Model 3 seems to me to be way more "prestigious" tech-wise than Model S right now). I don't carry a tablet anymore, the new phone sizes work for almost everything.

Elon and Tesla should consider some actual marketing at this point, instead of relying on twitter and gimmicks. In aggregate the press they generate is hardly fair or positive anyway, so what's the point again ? Likes and retweets ?

Cant deny that hardware snappy speeds though on the 3 than the S/X. I still think its a better layout than what we have on the S. Right now, even though i just bought this CPO, im thinking of trading it in for either a newer S ( refresh H/W 2.5 etc ) or a Model 3. Im torn. I just prefer the S overall for looks, usability, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: Topgun66 and Lex
I still have v8 and would be very happy if I could just stay on it given the disaster that v9 is.
I find your crusade fascinating... in the same way as watching a bird fly into a closed window over and over again.
You purchased the most technologically advanced car at the time and want to get stuck on a 3 year old OS? That's a rhetorical question, I've read your diatribes concerns over the years.

I find your crusade fascinating... in the same way as watching a bird fly into a closed window over and over again.
You purchased the most technologically advanced car at the time and want to get stuck on a 3 year old OS? That's a rhetorical question, I've read your diatribes concerns over the years.
I'm on the same crusade. V8 may be older, but it's objectively better. Age has nothing to do with anything. For example, are new, tasteless hybrids of tomatoes better than the older varieties I had as a kid, or are they just foisted on us because they better suit the needs of the producers?

Those of us who have expressed concerns about v9 are not wanting to be "stuck on a 3 year old OS." However. it's precisely because we bought the most technologically advanced car at the time that we want it to continually improve, and NOT take steps backward. We don't want to stay on v8 forever... that's not the goal. But we are comparing v8 to v9, and not only are there no improvements for our older AP1/MCU1 cars, there are clear steps backward in functionality and usability. When v10 comes out, I want to compare it to v8 and find it a vast improvement. That's the crusade for me.

That's funny. Because from my perspective, it feels like I've been watching v9 birds fly into windows with all the complaining and whining about how bad v9 is compared v8. And then Tesla comes out with 16.1 that caps the range of older S85's and S70's. Did you see the 189 page 3500 post thread about that?:rolleyes:

Let's be honest. V9 is a mess. There are MANY MANY threads on this and the few who come out in support are those that are tolerating it rather than believing it's better. It's not. I've used it. It's a mess. It's disgraceful. It's about the worst downgrade, to what was once an awesome product, that I've ever seen in my life. Nearly all the field upgradeable devices I've ever had get better over time. My P85D is one of the rare exceptions. It's has gotten worse over time and if I take v9 it will be worse yet again. IMO, they had it right with v6 and that's not to say that v6 couldn't and shouldn't have been improved on....but in this case they didn't improve upon it.

Last edited: