Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 MCU2 Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AP1 Model X is in for service to upgrade the MCU for $2500.

Couple questions.

Has anyone out there upgraded their AP MCU?
Why or why not?
Have you notice big difference?
What do you use the most?
Do they give you back the MC1?

Thanks

My experience:
12/2016 Model X
AP2.0 --> AP3.0 ($0)
MCU1 --> MCU2 ($2,500)

- AP upgrade was free so it's a no-brainer. Read on this forum that MCU1 performance drags after AP3.0 upgrade and so I just opted for the upgrade for the better user experience and prevent any further headaches

- Yes, MCU2 performance is noticeably faster/quicker

- Mostly use the GPS/maps. Don't really use the streaming apps or games

- No, they do not give back the MCU1

Reactions: Ramisanders
I thought AP1 owners would get an email when they were able to upgrade. Is this something you just make an appointment for? Still on the fence about it, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has regretted the upgrade.

My dash display sometimes takes a while to start up and be able to drive. Sometimes it will go dark after leaving the car for 5 minutes, other times it will be on and ready after an extended period.

Will the upgrade fix this?

I thought AP1 owners would get an email when they were able to upgrade. Is this something you just make an appointment for? Still on the fence about it, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has regretted the upgrade.

My dash display sometimes takes a while to start up and be able to drive. Sometimes it will go dark after leaving the car for 5 minutes, other times it will be on and ready after an extended period.

Will the upgrade fix this?
Yes worth it and fixes that. Make appointment they will let you know if available

Reactions: chukiechz
My AP1 Model X is in for service to upgrade the MCU for $2500.

Couple questions.

Has anyone out there upgraded their AP MCU?
Why or why not?
Have you notice big difference?
What do you use the most?
Do they give you back the MC1?

Thanks

Have 2016 Feb car, AP1 MCU1 pre-refresh but actually has refresh harnesses and related items.
Just upgraded to MCU2

$2800 including tax. Had some scharge port issues as well.

My car had:
Instrument display that was de-laminating
MCU display screen that had bubbles and was leaking stocky goo

So I got a $500 new display screen and a ? $500-1000 ? instrument cluster display replaced in the upgrade at no extra charge.
The MCU2 requires a new IC display - but if you ask Tesla will tell you the old MCU will cost ~$1100 for you to keep, so their "policy" of a new display when they could easily swap the old MCU1 display on to the MCU2 is a bonus with real value to me.

Noticed improvements
subjectively better sound
music changes in milliseconds not seconds
map screen during travel updates in less than 1/2 second now not several seconds or more.
LTE now has much better signal
Browser loads quickly, 1 second or less typically, not minutes and minutes and minutes
Much less lane wiggle on autopilot, almost as good as AP3 - a subjective comment - but may be true
Instant lane changes using the turn signal - not seconds later
Sensors appear to be longer range. I would need to test that. Might just be the display render.
AP1 now will instantly come on almost at the begining in a radius turn exit ramp and will follow the curve, before it would not reliably work till I left the ramp entirely

Tesla fixed a strange issue with my car, it is a Model S 85, large induction motor as typical, high perfornance battery, but was limited according to scan my tesla at 300kw instead of 310kw. That got fixed.

The regen display never went past 50kw. The green now extends past the 50kw marker. I would point out that tmy memory is the scan my tesla app reported a normal regen number >50kw It was 70kw? not sure.

All in all I would say a $2800 repair is a huge "ouchie".

Especially since the MCU1 was a slow problematic cluster-muck. Add in the IC display delamination and the MCU screen bubbles and leaky sticky stuff So while I could have lived with the IC display and just spent $500 (plus labor, but I am able to swap a screen myself) to get the big issues fixed, Tesla policy to include the screen was quite welcome

A subjective comment. I was beginning to not like my car and think the possible recall on the MCU1 was not soon enough. While I am not happy at all at having to spend $2800 (there were small charges regarding a charge port issue and some other stuff) the new MCU2 makes my enhanced AP1 car a keeper and honestly, I do not like the model Y, I would prefer the model X, but a $2000 a month car payment is a steep hill to climb for me.

If you have a choice between an older car with MCU1 and any version of autopilot, and a car with MCU2, don't hesitate to pay $2500 or so more for it. I honestly would ut my car next to the same car with MCU1 and feel confident after a few demonstrations that the difference is clearly well worth it.

IMHO Tesla nearly shot themselves in the foot with this MCU1 flash issue (which I did have) and display delamination, yellow border,(the only issue I didn't have) and sticky stuff leaking and leaving screen bubbles.

$1500 would have been much easier to swallow, but that's life. Tesla did in the end step up most of the way and I can't fault ending up with a 2019 feel car that is actually a 2016.

I would note, my Feb 2016 model S was an exception to the AP1 cars because while I have the old nosecone, my 12v battery and fusebox is at the back next to the windshield as in the refresh cars, and the AP2 harness cables appear to be present in the car except for the green connector cable, that may be the enhanced audio... not sure. I had standard audio.

I tried to upgrade mine and was denied. Was told it was not available for me yet, I have a 9/16 MX with AP1. I waited almost 3 weeks to have my MCU1 replaced under warranty.

It still says coming soon on the website. Those that got it done are lucky!
Infotainment Upgrade
I had my 03/16 build MCU1 to MCU2 done 3 weeks ago in Palo Alto.

AP1 MCU1 here. I'm considering the upgrade. Not sure if it's available. I am almost out of warranty but am getting tired of the laggy-ness of the main screen. Was considering trading in the X for the Y, but was thinking the upgrade may be a good interim solution.

Those that have upgraded from an AP1 car, are there any options to keep FM radio? Has anyone found a work around like some bluetooth device or anything. The main thing holding me back is the lack of FM. TIA

AP1 MCU1 here. I'm considering the upgrade. Not sure if it's available. I am almost out of warranty but am getting tired of the laggy-ness of the main screen. Was considering trading in the X for the Y, but was thinking the upgrade may be a good interim solution.

Those that have upgraded from an AP1 car, are there any options to keep FM radio? Has anyone found a work around like some bluetooth device or anything. The main thing holding me back is the lack of FM. TIA
Nope, just stream FM from your phone. In my opinion it is still worth it, makes the car feel like brand new.

Thanks. How would one stream FM from a phone. I'm using an Iphone X. From what I've found online, there isn't an FM tuner/chipset on the iphones for a while.

I use radio.com app, has a couple of stations i used to hear on FM . On the music tab in the car should be a "phone " option, tap on it and it will play whatever your phone plays (make sure they are connected through bluetooth)

I know this is a somewhat old thread, and there are other threads related to it. But, since a couple comments were asked about the radio...
Tesla now has a Radio Upgrade that includes installation of new hardware for those on MCU2. This will bring back the radio functions that were lost when upgrading to MCU2. It’s a separate $500 charge regardless of whether you do it together at the same time as an MCU2 upgrade or afterwards. (Doesn’t make sense that it would be same price, and also doesn’t seem right to charge extra for something that was taken away. But, that’s what it is with Tesla).