Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 NDE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I report my experience is to inform other Tesla drivers that AP1 is not still safe and that very same attention as while driving manually is needed.
(and here comes my question, then what is the benefit of using AP ?)
The same way the standard cruise control function on other cars saves you some energy by allowing you to not constantly exert force on the accelerator pedal, AP1 (and AP2, currently) saves you some energy by allowing you to not constantly exert force on the steering wheel. However you still must keep your hands on the steering wheel so that you can respond quickly if something goes wrong, the same way you must keep your foot hovering on the brake pedal with normal cruise control so that you can respond quickly if something goes wrong.

True, but reading the manual doesn't change human nature.
I read the manual a dozen times, and have 50,000kms of autopilot driving. I still have caught myself hitting a pothole I'm sure I'd have avoided if I'd been driving manually.
I honestly believe that it is no excuse and it is not technology's fault that their user fail at common sense and using the technology anymore than as designed. Sure... sometimes technology functions better than presented and you push it further... but should anything go wrong... as the driver of the car... you are still responsible... you used it in a way you were told not to... so you willingly took the risk... thus Autopilot was in no way at fault nor dangerous.

I do very much agree Autopilot needs to get better... it needs to get better because it does not yet drive better or as good as humans... NOT because humans are irresponsible and fail at complying with instructions or driving. The cause for it to get better is not to compensate the failure of its drivers and to relieve them of responsibilities. So while the ultimate goal is for the cars to drive itself... but the rush for it to get better should not be because people cannot be responsible with using in-progress technology which all owners are fully aware (there really is no excuse why you are not aware) that it does not function the way you dream it to. At every stage of enabling it... it tells you it's limitations.

So what I am most bothered with is that the OP's complaint about "What AP is for if it can't drive itself with a less attentive driver?" At no point in time it was conveyed that AP is capable of doing so, AP is a name given to the umbrella of systems, I think it is a bad name as it gives people like the OP the false impression that it indeed auto pilots itself, even then, like I said before even in an aircraft with autopilot... it doesn't mean the pilot can be any less attentive. It is a technology which makes the operator more comfortable.

The final thing that bothers me the most is that the OP tries to lay blame to AP somehow being dangerous when operated outside of its design parameters (with a less attentive driver). He also states that because no party was fined, that somehow he is not responsible for his own actions and his accident is caused by AP's failure to stop and not because he failed to drive.

Reactions: kavyboy
If beta technologies needs to constantly come up with solutions to prevent stupidity. There will not be beta technologies for us to use before it is ready for prime time.

Even then it will have much less functions because the system needs to mitigate the amount of responsibility it relieves from stupid people who simply cannot take responsibility.

Which I conclude with this is why we can’t have nice things, because of people who won’t take responsibility for their own actions.

I honestly believe that it is no excuse and it is not technology's fault that their user fail at common sense and using the technology anymore than as designed. Sure... sometimes technology functions better than presented and you push it further... but should anything go wrong... as the driver of the car... you are still responsible... you used it in a way you were told not to... so you willingly took the risk... thus Autopilot was in no way at fault nor dangerous.

I do very much agree Autopilot needs to get better... it needs to get better because it does not yet drive better or as good as humans... NOT because humans are irresponsible and fail at complying with instructions or driving. The cause for it to get better is not to compensate the failure of its drivers and to relieve them of responsibilities. So while the ultimate goal is for the cars to drive itself... but the rush for it to get better should not be because people cannot be responsible with using in-progress technology which all owners are fully aware (there really is no excuse why you are not aware) that it does not function the way you dream it to. At every stage of enabling it... it tells you it's limitations.

So what I am most bothered with is that the OP's complaint about "What AP is for if it can't drive itself with a less attentive driver?" At no point in time it was conveyed that AP is capable of doing so, AP is a name given to the umbrella of systems, I think it is a bad name as it gives people like the OP the false impression that it indeed auto pilots itself, even then, like I said before even in an aircraft with autopilot... it doesn't mean the pilot can be any less attentive. It is a technology which makes the operator more comfortable.

The final thing that bothers me the most is that the OP tries to lay blame to AP somehow being dangerous when operated outside of its design parameters (with a less attentive driver). He also states that because no party was fined, that somehow he is not responsible for his own actions and his accident is caused by AP's failure to stop and not because he failed to drive.
It's not an excuse, it's just reality.
Automation technology will reduce driver concentration.

You can't help human physiology: it's not a matter of willpower or laws or training.

I'm yawning. A big, long yaaaawwwwn. The little puppy is yawning with its eyes closed and its tongue curling. Stretched into a biiiiig yawn. And if you're yawning ... well ... you just hit a pothole.

So based on your logic, the best solution would be to disable all autopilot and associated functions until it can fully drive itself without human intervention. Thus solving the problem of getting distracted while using autopilot.

I personally have not had any problems using Autopilot because I know not to trust it. However it does make me more comfortable on long trips.

Based on my own experience, I really dont see the problem of it somehow being human physiology.

Regardless... if you crash with it on... you are still responsible for the crash... because you were watching or supposed to have been. So you would have crashed anyway if you were not on autopilot.

So I am really not even sure why there even needs to be an argument. Because the OP has clearly admitted to not being attentive, thus he is now an ex-owned, and clearly at fault... there really is no way around that so stop blaming anything other than the driver.

Reactions: IdaX
I agree the driver is ultimately responsible for the operation of the car (whether on AP or not), but there is one aspect that's on Tesla.

The OP said he was looking at the main screen. I find that when I have to make any adjustment via the main screen it keeps my eyes off the road longer than is always safe. If I see a bump or dip coming up and want to adjust the suspension before I get to it, unless the suspension settings screen is the last setting screen used it takes too long with eyes off the road to get to it. Similarly if I am driving through a patch of bad air (leaf blower, truck belching exhaust, etc.) and I want to temporarily cut off the outside air, popping up the climate screen and manually putting it on recirc keeps my eyes off the road too long. All other cars I have ever owned have had a one-touch recirc control that I barely had to look at to use.

So perhaps an option for a screen allowing one-touch access to radio, suspension, climate settings, etc. all at the same time without screen navigation to cut down on time we need to have our eyes off the road in order to adjust anything would be a good idea.

It seems like most of you haven't had the pleasure of driving in Italy. I have. It's crazy. You have to pay attention all the time because people pass into oncoming traffic on two lane roads and expect you to give them room by going onto the shoulder. I call this the Italian Pass.

In my experience with AP1, it doesn't react to a car merging into your lane until the car is more or less fully into your lane. It's definitely something you have to watch for.

Reactions: Exiom