Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 new software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
I'm currently on 17.16.35, and all week I've been getting push notifications for a software update available. Unfortunately I'm not around the car.

What's new?

As an AP1 owner I'm a little hesitant to accept upgrades now :) .. given all the issues they are having with AP2, I fear they might gimp my experience with an "upgrade".

Anyone else got an upgrade beyond .35? If so, what's new?

Thanks!

Reactions: u00mem9
I'm also curious but have no plans to update unless I hear of some improvement. I think there is high probability that AP1 function will be degraded in the effort to improve AP2. ...some noble reasons, and some less than noble reasons...

I haven't seen anything definitive from more than one or two posters about the speed limitations. From what I could tell, it seems like it may be using different algorithms or data to determine what the speed limit is (and getting it wrong), but that it's still the same unlimited on divided highways and limit+5 everywhere else.
But yeah, not updating here either.

Last edited:
Reactions: wigalo
Yeah.... I don't seem them dumbing down AP1 deliberately. Conspiracies are far less common than simple honest screwups.

It doesn't have to be called conspiracy or intentional. They are now developing their AP2 based system which has different inputs and obviously is missing some awareness of conditions that the AP1 hardware provided. That will be their focus and they are going to have to stay on the same page for AP1, so optimizing the software for AP1 unique inputs isn't going to happen.

I haven't seen anything definitive from more than one or two posters about the speed limitations. From what I could tell, it seems like it may be using different algorithms or data to determine what the speed limit is (and getting it wrong), but that it's still the same unlimited on divided highways and limit+5 everywhere else.
But yeah, not updating here either.

For what it’s worth, I’m happier with the AP speed limits on my AP1 car with 17.24.28, which I got yesterday. For some reason on my previous version AP didn’t let me exceed the speed limit on local roads at all. Now with 17.24.28 I’m back to speed limit+5 on local roads

I remember seeing a Tesla announcement about a FW revision that would add the option to automatically raise the steering wheel after parking to make it easier to get out of the car. I thought that this revision would be applied to AP1 and AP2 vehicles but after installing this update today on my AP1 I don't see it being available.

I'm currently on 17.16.35, and all week I've been getting push notifications for a software update available. Unfortunately I'm not around the car.

What's new?

As an AP1 owner I'm a little hesitant to accept upgrades now :) .. given all the issues they are having with AP2, I fear they might gimp my experience with an "upgrade".

Anyone else got an upgrade beyond .35? If so, what's new?

Thanks!
Don't upgrade. The mother ****ing software update limited me to +5mph on a somewhat divided road (it's divided with a concrete barrier in most places, but later it's only divided by a grass median), which I travel on every day. I used to have it set to +10mph, now I can't.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone, apparently i'm not, so I'll be shooting an email to Tesla.

My car was in the service center on Monday and they let it update. So, I'm stuck. One thing I've noticed is that the car has been randomly applying the brakes, even on the highway, for no apparent reason. It's happened five or six times, perhaps more, this week.

I remember seeing a Tesla announcement about a FW revision that would add the option to automatically raise the steering wheel after parking to make it easier to get out of the car. I thought that this revision would be applied to AP1 and AP2 vehicles but after installing this update today on my AP1 I don't see it being available.

I think a lot of people have been asking for this option for some time now, but as far as I know there has been no official announcement that it’s coming. Just wishful thinking.

I think there is high probability that AP1 function will be degraded in the effort to improve AP2. ...some noble reasons, and some less than noble reasons...

Wait, you're saying they would intentionally degrade AP1 performance to make AP2 look better? Seriously?

Or did you mean AP1 software development slowed down in order to concentrate on AP2. Because that is believable.

Elon tweeted on June 11 that the new kernel comes out next weekend and the new web browser next month - but we've heard that before. So I guess the new software updates would contain the new kernel, but I haven't been updated yet. But i have had other stuff mysteriously start to work properly, like pausing and resuming Slacker songs.