TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP1 new software update

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I'm currently on 17.16.35, and all week I've been getting push notifications for a software update available. Unfortunately I'm not around the car.

What's new?

As an AP1 owner I'm a little hesitant to accept upgrades now :) .. given all the issues they are having with AP2, I fear they might gimp my experience with an "upgrade".

Anyone else got an upgrade beyond .35? If so, what's new?

Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. snd92

snd92 Member

I've heard that many regret updating to 17.24.28 due to speed limitations of AP and poor reading of speed limit signs. I am satisfied with 17.14.23, and would not upgrade as of now.

• Like x 1
  3. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I'm also curious but have no plans to update unless I hear of some improvement. I think there is high probability that AP1 function will be degraded in the effort to improve AP2. ...some noble reasons, and some less than noble reasons...

4. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Allrighty then, I'm not gonna hit the "upgrade" button. :)

5. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Yeah.... I don't seem them dumbing down AP1 deliberately. Conspiracies are far less common than simple honest screwups.

6. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

#6 kavyboy, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    I haven't seen anything definitive from more than one or two posters about the speed limitations. From what I could tell, it seems like it may be using different algorithms or data to determine what the speed limit is (and getting it wrong), but that it's still the same unlimited on divided highways and limit+5 everywhere else.
    But yeah, not updating here either.

• Like x 1
  7. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I got notified an hour ago. I will hold off a few days until other -- braver -- souls let update before I do so. That said, I don't use AP on non divided highways so perhaps I won't be effected?

8. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

It doesn't have to be called conspiracy or intentional. They are now developing their AP2 based system which has different inputs and obviously is missing some awareness of conditions that the AP1 hardware provided. That will be their focus and they are going to have to stay on the same page for AP1, so optimizing the software for AP1 unique inputs isn't going to happen.

9. BrettS

BrettS Member

For what it’s worth, I’m happier with the AP speed limits on my AP1 car with 17.24.28, which I got yesterday. For some reason on my previous version AP didn’t let me exceed the speed limit on local roads at all. Now with 17.24.28 I’m back to speed limit+5 on local roads

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Got 17.24.28 this morning and installed. Testing this afternoon. But the big question is if they have fixed the miles to km conversion when crossing the border. That test will have to wait til next week when I shuffle off to Buffalo.

11. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

I remember seeing a Tesla announcement about a FW revision that would add the option to automatically raise the steering wheel after parking to make it easier to get out of the car. I thought that this revision would be applied to AP1 and AP2 vehicles but after installing this update today on my AP1 I don't see it being available.

12. Max*

Max* Banned

Don't upgrade. The mother ****ing software update limited me to +5mph on a somewhat divided road (it's divided with a concrete barrier in most places, but later it's only divided by a grass median), which I travel on every day. I used to have it set to +10mph, now I can't.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone, apparently i'm not, so I'll be shooting an email to Tesla.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

My car was in the service center on Monday and they let it update. So, I'm stuck. One thing I've noticed is that the car has been randomly applying the brakes, even on the highway, for no apparent reason. It's happened five or six times, perhaps more, this week.

14. BrettS

BrettS Member

I think a lot of people have been asking for this option for some time now, but as far as I know there has been no official announcement that it’s coming. Just wishful thinking.

15. wayner

wayner Active Member

Still no upgrade to the Linux kernel and web browser that was supposed to have happened six months ago?

16. wayner

wayner Active Member

Those of us that use kms should feel special as we get limit+10km/h which is 6.2mph! Woohoo!

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I can't wait for AI to get to the point that it can help avoid 17,000 separate TMC threads on firmware upgrades.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

According to Ingineer, the kernel was quietly updated a few updates ago. Nothing on the browser yet, though.

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Wait, you're saying they would intentionally degrade AP1 performance to make AP2 look better? Seriously?

Or did you mean AP1 software development slowed down in order to concentrate on AP2. Because that is believable.

20. wayner

wayner Active Member

Elon tweeted on June 11 that the new kernel comes out next weekend and the new web browser next month - but we've heard that before. So I guess the new software updates would contain the new kernel, but I haven't been updated yet. But i have had other stuff mysteriously start to work properly, like pausing and resuming Slacker songs.