Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 new software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today Auto Steer was able to drive 100 and 130 km/h on 80 and 110 km/h zones, respectively. The display did show 80 and 110 km/h. If someone can do the same with 17.24.28 please shout out. (I do not believe the latter is possible and it is the reason for me not updating)

I haven't seen anything definitive from more than one or two posters about the speed limitations. From what I could tell, it seems like it may be using different algorithms or data to determine what the speed limit is (and getting it wrong), but that it's still the same unlimited on divided highways and limit+5 everywhere else.
But yeah, not updating here either.
There are no changes to the speed limitations with AP1. It works exactly as it did before.

Elon tweeted on June 11 that the new kernel comes out next weekend and the new web browser next month - but we've heard that before. So I guess the new software updates would contain the new kernel, but I haven't been updated yet. But i have had other stuff mysteriously start to work properly, like pausing and resuming Slacker songs.
Sometimes the fixes happen at the server side, with no updated needed on the client side.

I find AP1 to be less smooth than before upgrading to 17.24.28. It feels more bouncy and not as solid as it used to be. I don't know if it maybe needs to retrain or recalibrate, no idea.
It almost feels like we got the AP software that is used for AP2 from what I read here in the forums. I sure hope, it's the former...

Single chime is back! In my last update, the speed warning chime was a double chime. I had to turned it off - just a bit too much noise. I just checked and the single chime is now back. It also seems to not chime the moment I exceed the limit, but lets me slow down for a second or two before the alert. It's a minor thing, but I am very happy to see this change.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Got 17.24.28 this morning and installed. Testing this afternoon. But the big question is if they have fixed the miles to km conversion when crossing the border. That test will have to wait til next week when I shuffle off to Buffalo.
I just returned from a short trip to Canada and had the problem I think you are referring to. It recognized the speed signs as mph, then upgraded them by 1.6 because I had selected km. So 100kmh became 160kmh.

Huh?

I look forward to hearing if that is fixed.

The summary screen said something along the lines of "continued improvements to the software" without any detail being given. As already mentioned, there is the "improvement" of limiting autosteer to +5 mph on interstate. It still keeps too close to the right lane marker (and displays so on the screen), even when trucks are in the right lane - scary. Car keeps starting on random FM radio stations instead of internet radio. To me it is a worthless change, sorry I upgraded. I am on AP1.

• Disagree
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Updated my original AP1 Model S. Noticing two things, neither great. First, misreading of speed limits. Eg, apparently the speedlimit on the 280 between Woodside and Sand Hill is now well over 100 mph. Second, autosteer speedlimit has been greatly reduced (to below actual speedlimits) on divided surface roads, making it not useful.

I updated my ap1 model S to 17.24.28 last night. Now it doesn't recognize some of the speed limit signs correctly or the GPS data base is incorrect. Luckily you can use the accelerator pedal to speed up without the car turning off autopilot. The swerving at the top of hills still occurs, no improvement in driving. I would skip this update.

I decided to upgrade today. I notice two changes (and nothing in release notes),

1. The AP "nag" is more naggy. Earlier if it asked me to hold steering, and I did, the nag would not bug me for some time. Now, it insists that I keep holding it, or the nag comes back a lot quicker. I think they've "tuned" the nag algo to be more naggy.
2. It is restricting to +5mph on more roads than before.

#2 .. does not bother me personally since I am a +5 sort of a person anyway. I don't speed, and I see this more as a guarantee against speeding and tickets.
#1 .. is annoying, but I guess safe is good.