TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BerTX, Apr 5, 2019.

1. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I don't mind reading about Navigate on AP or Enhanced Summon or Sentry Mode, just like I don't mind reading about SpaceX flying to Mars, but I'm not going to do any of those any time soon. All of the threads about newer firmware updates are predominantly AP2+ owners talking about those things...

I want to know if someone with AP1 has had a newer update, and if so what are the advances and pitfalls? When (if?) we get a notice that an update has downloaded, I want to know if I should load it. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but a) I'm about to drive 2500 miles and don't want the AP that I have to become useless, and b) I can't help but feel that, at some point, the only thing we will get from updates is more bugs, since they will not be doing regression testing on AP1 cars. I want to stop loading updates right before that. :eek:

So is there anyone with something newer than 2018.50.6 on an AP1 car that can talk about their experiences?

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 2
  2. David29

David29 Supporting Member

In the firmware tracking log, there are a few, but only a very few, people who have reported newer versions than 2018.50.6 on AP1 cars.
    They might be people in the testing program who get early releases....and they might not be able to comment.

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

3. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

I’m on 50.6 on my AP1 car . I don’t remember when it was updated but it’s been entirely uneventful .

4. Pantoot

Pantoot Member

I received 2019.8.4 on an AP1 P90D just yesterday.
    The "what's new" screen was an empty frame.
    They took away max battery and added ludicrous+.
    I don't yet know if those are equivalent, and haven't tried a launch yet to see if I lost launch mode or something.
    AP seems to be the same based on 1 day of driving, maybe the TACC follow distance was increased a little, but its hard to say.

The only other thing I noticed is they also changed the climate control screen where you would turn on biodefense a little bit.
    I have already had to reboot the web browser, so I don't think there were any fixes snuck in there.
    If there is something specific you want me to look at just let me know, I am not in any early access program or anything.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. AustinP

AustinP Member

Good initiative. I’m also tired of reading that thread only about AP2.x updates.
    I’m glad for those owners, but surely am curious about what our AP1 gains or loses.
    I’m quite happy with 50.6: though it brought no new features, it did fix some.

I still hope they improve the phantom braking and I’d really like that single tap lane change.
    And their is definitely room for improvement on the UI features (pictures of contacts, text messages integration, more voice commands....) that are not AP related.

• Like x 2
  6. AustinP

AustinP Member

@nybw51mr42 , @ramting

Hi guys,

Ik know you provided some update on your experience of 2019.x on your AP1 cars on the other thread, but if you could provide some feedbacks in this thread, that’d be cool for the AP1 owners that might have missed it in the massive postings of AP2.x owners.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. ASMills85

ASMills85 Member

That’s good to know about Ludicrous+. I suspected our non-P100Ds would be indeed getting it, since the rest are getting insane+, but you are the first person I’ve read to confirm our older Ludicrous cars are getting the same thing. I’d be interested to see if there are any differences in power numbers.

8. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

On 8.3. AP seems smoother and have insane+ though it doesn't seem to be working.

• Informative x 2
  9. iRia

iRia Member

Did you guys get the 5% power increase? I am not sure if any model S is getting that.

10. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

So when people discuss software version numbers, it's actually less confusing to give the full version number (such as "2019.8.5") rather than the last few digits you think might be important ("8.5"). Not giving the full version number leads to some ambiguity, particularly when someone in the future stumbles upon your post and has to figure out what exactly software version you meant. It's also very confusing to see that "8.5" is newer than "50.6", because generally-accepted principles of software versioning imply the opposite.

Thanks,

Bruce.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  11. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

Can you elaborate on the "doesn't seem to be working" thing a little more?

12. whitex

whitex Active Member

Is there anything new to be had on AP1? I mean realistically, not Elon delusions like "your car will find you anywhere on private property" which he stated at AP1 launch.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Got 2019.8.3 on my AP1 Model X. Nothing but a new bug. The warning exclamation icon and the car status app now flicker (in a bad way) when someone isn’t wearing their seat belt.

• Informative x 1
  14. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Pretty small sample size, but interesting that both who have responded are Performance models.

Thanks to @nybw51mr42 and @Pantoot. Sounds like no AP issues noticed as yet. No mention of Dog Mode, but I assume it is there.

15. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

My car finds me anywhere, as long as it is less than 30 feet and a straight line on a billiard table surface.:(

• Funny x 13
  16. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

I have dog mode but haven't tried it yet. Insane+ button does nothing. Max battery is supposed to show up but doesn't.

17. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

There goes my "Performance model only" theory...

18. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Don’t forget auto on and off ramp! That was actually in the release notes of version 8 at the bottom that said it would come with 8.1! I’m thinking all hope is lost for any AP1 improvements and AP1 will just be empty promises. Hopefully the same doesn’t happen to AP2 folks when something new and shiny comes out.

19. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

• Informative x 1
  20. AustinP

AustinP Member