Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my car and am joining the AP1 club. No desire for anything other than TACC and lane keep! Logged a few hundred miles and am totally content.

Has the MCU been fixed with the recall? I got the recall letter three days after I upgraded my MCU.

I'm not really interesting in the games and such, but it is nice to not have to sit in a parking lot waiting for my MCU to reboot before leaving. It always did it occasionally, but it got to a point where it was doing it several times a week.

I can't say I use AP much. It's handy on the open highway on a road trip, but I rarely turn it on when driving locally. I did use it when stuck in a traffic jam a month or so back and another time on the freeway when I started coughing and needed some water.

Has the MCU been fixed with the recall? I got the recall letter three days after I upgraded my MCU.

I'm not really interesting in the games and such, but it is nice to not have to sit in a parking lot waiting for my MCU to reboot before leaving. It always did it occasionally, but it got to a point where it was doing it several times a week.

I can't say I use AP much. It's handy on the open highway on a road trip, but I rarely turn it on when driving locally. I did use it when stuck in a traffic jam a month or so back and another time on the freeway when I started coughing and needed some water.

the tesla site shows the MCU1 has not yet been addressed for my VIN. I figure I may as well do the upgrade vs just the recall. I have zero interest in games, but I hate slow computers. the latency when using the UI is pretty painful...especially when playing music.

I did a drive from LA to SF and had a lot of time to experiment with AP. I used it for most of the highway sections, but, early on I pissed off the system when I had AP on and accelerated to pass a car. It thought I was going to rear-end the car and gave me blinking red lights with angry sounds. Turns out I was locked out until I parked. As a result, I had to manually steer the car for an hour. It really did make the entire drive more enjoyable.

the tesla site shows the MCU1 has not yet been addressed for my VIN. I figure I may as well do the upgrade vs just the recall. I have zero interest in games, but I hate slow computers. the latency when using the UI is pretty painful...especially when playing music.

I did a drive from LA to SF and had a lot of time to experiment with AP. I used it for most of the highway sections, but, early on I pissed off the system when I had AP on and accelerated to pass a car. It thought I was going to rear-end the car and gave me blinking red lights with angry sounds. Turns out I was locked out until I parked. As a result, I had to manually steer the car for an hour. It really did make the entire drive more enjoyable.
I doubt it's because you got too close to a car. Generally, if you have Autopilot set on the highway and you accelerate a certain amount above it will scold you and punish you. I believe this figure to be +15mph or 100mph but I'm not 100% as it's been a few years since I did that and experimented to find out for sure on a long road trip. Pulling off the road to stop & park each time to reset it was a PITA I do recall that. It could also be if you override the car too close to a car in front of you while on AP but I don't know on that one for sure as I've never experienced that nor have I experimented to test it.

Reactions: ngng
I doubt it's because you got too close to a car. Generally, if you have Autopilot set on the highway and you accelerate a certain amount above it will scold you and punish you. I believe this figure to be +15mph or 100mph but I'm not 100% as it's been a few years since I did that and experimented to find out for sure on a long road trip. Pulling off the road to stop & park each time to reset it was a PITA I do recall that. It could also be if you override the car too close to a car in front of you while on AP but I don't know on that one for sure as I've never experienced that nor have I experimented to test it.
oh, I for sure accelerated more than 15mph to pass. i double checked teslafi and i did not drive over 100. i will try it on a short drive behind somebody i know and report back. im not sure if it was acceleration, closing distance, or just distance.

So, to sum up the current status
  • AP1 is broken since 18 months now. the correct speed limit is detected and shown in the IC, but AP takes dangerous fantasy speed limits -->
  • 85 battery packs are charge limited In a way that some people no longe see the S as a long distance vehicle --> Fleet Charging MAX (Firmware)
This is not true

And Tesla did not keep that promise

The battery pack in your car is obviously very important and expensive to replace. In developing the Model S, we took great care to ensure that the battery would protect itself, always retaining a few percent of energy. If something goes wrong, it is therefore our fault, not yours.

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

Upgraded to MCU2 yesterday, the interaction with the car is much more pleasant due to the MCU2's responsiveness. LTE over 3G was a necessity as 3G will be switched off here in The Netherlands at the end of 2021. Screen resolution is higher and there's more color depth. AP1 continues to perform as-is (which is fine for me) but the proximity sensor graphics (the yellow-to-red pies-shaped icons) refresh much faster which is a plus. Had no eMMC issues yet due to the low mileage of the car but I'm happy I won't get any either. Worth the € 1.550. Install + software updates took about 6 hours, all settings other than phone, wifi were retained. Version 2021.4.15 was installed and the map data was from 2019.