Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time in 4+ years of ownership, I got two software updates on two consecutive days. Probably due to the fact my car was sitting in an airport parking garage for 2.5 weeks. Anyway my S85D (AP1/MCU1 obviously) went from 2019.20.4.2 to 2019.24.1 to 2019.24.4. Haven't driven a whole lot since these updates, and I haven't noticed any changes. (Specifically, no change in rated miles, and I haven't tried Supercharging yet.)

Bruce.

I have a few questions:

1. I have 2014 AP1. I have always been able to use Chademo since day one. Never had issues with it. Do I need to update to 2019.24.4?

2. My AP works pretty well for me, is this new 2019.24.4 update that much better AP?

3. How many AP1 owners have updated to 2019.24.4

4. How can I completely disable updates? I really love 2019.24.1 which I am on now.

I have a few questions:

1. I have 2014 AP1. I have always been able to use Chademo since day one. Never had issues with it. Do I need to update to 2019.24.4?

2. My AP works pretty well for me, is this new 2019.24.4 update that much better AP?

4. How can I completely disable updates? I really love 2019.24.1 which I am on now.
1. No, that only pertains to Model 3 CHAdeMO activation

2. Highly unlikely that there will be a real noticeable difference.

3. I don't know, someone else will answer you.

4. The average owner can do nothing to keep from getting downloads and notifications. You can avoid installing the updates, but you will get the nag.

One thing that I have noticed with the latest updates and I am almost ready to suggest as fact: AP1 summon seems more reliable.

Running 20.4.2 and using summon twice a day almost every day (very narrow garage). When I first got the car about a year ago, I was quickly greeted to a couple of instances of the car hitting the front of the garage. So I stopped using the feature. Then I gave it a second chance starting about 4 months ago. So far it has been flawless. And nothing else has changed, just the software updates...

This is from TeslaFi:
AP1_7_26_2019.PNG

Because of the way statistics work, you can expect the percentage to be fairly representative of the fleet as a whole.

Apparently you can see this without logging in. TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Last edited:
I have a few questions:

For the answer to #2 my philosophy is that if it is no worse then why not update? Unless someone is still regretting not staying on Version 8 (range reduction aside) I don't see any reason not to.

For #4 I believe I saw a thread regarding disabling a connection in the seat which will block updates?

Im with you though; Could always use a less-buggy media and phone interface, USB improvements, and a button to quickly put suspension right on the high setting directly on the main touchscreen without tapping it 3 times first, and waypoints with the navigation system but honestly if my car never changes from where it is now I will still be happy.

I'm hesitant to post this since the sample size is very small and there are too many variables that have changed (cooler weather, windows vs AC, occupants) but I just wanted to get a feeler out there and see if has anyone noticed an improvement of MPGe?

I would say i usually average about 320 wh/mi driving to/from work and some small errands but since supercharging yesterday with 2019.24.4 (previous was 2019.20.2) by average appears to be about 260 wh/mi. See attached picture, the red line is when I supercharged and the 3 trips above are the most recent.

Attachments

• teslaMPGe.JPG
    teslaMPGe.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 58
I'm hesitant to post this since the sample size is very small and there are too many variables that have changed (cooler weather, windows vs AC, occupants) but I just wanted to get a feeler out there and see if has anyone noticed an improvement of MPGe?

I would say i usually average about 320 wh/mi driving to/from work and some small errands but since supercharging yesterday with 2019.24.4 (previous was 2019.20.2) by average appears to be about 260 wh/mi. See attached picture, the red line is when I supercharged and the 3 trips above are the most recent.

320 -> 260wh/mi is a pretty dramatic improvement.

I haven't driven much with 2019.24.4 yet so I don't know if anything has changed.

I have found weather can have a pretty good impact on energy usage. If the weather is warm, but not hot the energy usage seems to be a fair bit lower than average. I can get down to 270 wh/mi round trip. But if the weather is hot enough the A/C has to run at max, or it's cool enough the batteries are a bit too cool when setting out, I find energy usage can be higher.

I notice negligible energy usage in warm weather with the A/C running low vs not running at all. It shot up dramatically when we had a bad heat wave a couple of months back and the A/C had to run at max for a while.

Are those Canadian kWs? I heard they're not worth as much as American kWs ;)

The worth varies from province to province, or state to state to translate it for you :D

Fortunate that both countries adopted the SI convention of Watts for power and America didn’t use calories per minute, it btu’s per something , horsepower or some other imperial unit or we’d have a hell of time converting it!

Last edited:
The worth varies from province to province, or state to state to translate it for you :D

Fortunate that both countries adopted the SI convention of Watts for power and America didn’t use calories per minute, it btu’s per something , horsepower or some other imperial unit or we’d have a hell of time converting it!

Americans do use BTUs for air conditioner ratings, which gets annoying when shopping for one.

The US is a weird mix of metric and Imperial, though most measures the public sees are Imperial or both Imperial and metric. In college for engineering and the sciences we usually have to work with both.

I didn’t see any improvements in my 70D when supercharging yesterday. But I never get down to 10%.

I don't know if it is the 24.4 update, but it charged to 40% in about 15 minutes, then ramped down to where it has been lately (which is 10 kW lower than before the 16.1 update) and took another 30 minutes to get to 70%, but a model X parked beside me at the same time: I know the second vehicle is just supposed to get the leftovers, but who knows anymore....