Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to know if someone with AP1 has had a newer update, and if so what are the advances and pitfalls? When (if?) we get a notice that an update has downloaded, I want to know if I should load it. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but a) I'm about to drive 2500 miles and don't want the AP that I have to become useless, and b) I can't help but feel that, at some point, the only thing we will get from updates is more bugs, since they will not be doing regression testing on AP1 cars. I want to stop loading updates right before that. :eek:

I stopped updating at 7.1. Changes that came after that were major downgrades in my opinion. I didn't want frequent AP nags, I didn't want AP that slams on the brakes at overpasses, I didn't want low contrast colorless maps, and I didn't want the new inferior UI so many people hate. I am very happy with how my 7.1 car works, and my advice is if you like how your car works now, don't apply any updates, at least not until you have read what others say about them and are confident there are no changes you will hate.

Just got 2019.8.4 for my AP1 2014 Model S P85DL. Release notes blank, but I now have Ludicrous+ setting, dog mode, and the single page HVAC controls. I know my Ludicrous+ isn't the same Ludicrous+ in P100DL cars, but still, looks cool. ;)

mHWbkZ1jQuyXvM7OPg95rw.jpg

I think the pre-AP2 cars are largely not getting much attention these days. I too am still on 2018.50.6, though I don't know if the car was trying to do an update late last week that failed. I have found when the car is parked in the garage for more than about 36 hours with the mirrors folded, the mirrors will auto-unfold when I either do something to wake up the car, or the car gets contacted by the mothership. Late last week and last weekend the mirrors unfolded several times including a few minutes after I folded them.

The mirror thing is a firmware bug I've been detailing to the local service center for over a year now.

Anyone tested the Ludicrous+ ? Of course, the performance will not be same as P100D, but what does it do ?
I am askinh for 0-100kmh times and whatever it is preheating the battery.

Unfortunately I don’t have power measurements or time slips, but it doesn’t sound like it is preheating the battery and I wasn’t able to find a way to set up launch mode.

As far as I could tell it was the same as the prior ludicrous without max battery enabled.

780BC7BF-0E20-4D67-B5EB-65A1A9B0C270.jpeg
AC4830DF-D2B2-49A8-8C62-1DC45D3E7596.jpeg
image.jpg
Just updated 2019.8.4 over the air; I am currently in a foreign country! First time I have received or downloaded an update without being in the garage over my wifi. So much for the tinhat “I’m going to sleep in my car with my modem to get the latest update” people :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BerTX
After about 300 km of driving on AP1 with the new update 2019.8.4 I can confidently say there is no difference noticed compared to 2018.50.6.

edit: actually, I had a peculiar incident I would like to share and see if someone else with AP1 has noticed something similar: After downloading 2019.8.4 I am following a midsize SUV on AP with a consistent gap of 2 seconds in the right lane (number 3 position on the stalk I think). All of a sudden my car brakes, and I immediately think of the phantom braking I have read about but my car has never exhibited, and wonder if the new update has introduced this. Half a second later I then notice the car in front of me braking, hard. As I start to turn into the left lane I think: What? there is no way AP knew that the car in front was going to brake...and half way in the left lane I then notice the car in front of the SUV I was following braking. The SUV almost rear ended him.

So the radar was able to register the car in front of the car in front of me slowing?, so AP slowed my car? I know I have seen commercials from other car companies claiming this was possible with radar, but I have not noticed that before in this car. That is awesome if that is the case. But I have no way of knowing what update that might have been part of.

Does radar do this?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NateB and David29
After about 300 km of driving on AP1 with the new update 2019.8.4 I can confidently say there is no difference noticed compared to 2018.50.6.
That's sad. I still have issues on crests of hills and sharp curves. I'd be happy with that getting fixed to perform like autopilot 2 does and not veer over the lines drastically over a crest of hill. I hoped they would get that fixed.

That's sad. I still have issues on crests of hills and sharp curves. I'd be happy with that getting fixed to perform like autopilot 2 does and not veer over the lines drastically over a crest of hill. I hoped they would get that fixed.

Yeah sorry. Fetching your car on the other side of Wally World is more sexy than preventing head-on collisions at the moment. I think using the navigation to help the direction of the car when the AP1 camera is blinded is in update 2019.37.2. Patience is a virtue.

• Funny
Reactions: fasteddie7
That’s disappointing. Other cars have had this feature for around 15 years using just ultrasonic sensors.
Nope, the other cars use radar based BSM. Elon had a brain fart that parking sensors are cheaper than proper BSM (and already there, so just software really). Had he only asked some interns to verify whether parking sensors work at highway speeds, but no, he sold it first as a "it will will work after an over the air update", then a couple of years later (after I'm sure he fired anyone who told him it will never work) it turned out it doesn't work, so Tesla cleansed their website from any mention of BSM. If you ask Elon about it, he'll say Tesla cars have it, which current generation does (with help of additional cameras and a mini super computer). If you ask about the old car which were supposed to have it, you'll get no answer or "Booooring! Next question...."

Reactions: u00mem9 and kavyboy