Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, the other cars use radar based BSM. Elon had a brain fart that parking sensors are cheaper than proper BSM (and already there, so just software really). Had he only asked some interns to verify whether parking sensors work at highway speeds, but no, he sold it first as a "it will will work after an over the air update", then a couple of years later (after I'm sure he fired anyone who told him it will never work) it turned out it doesn't work, so Tesla cleansed their website from any mention of BSM. If you ask Elon about it, he'll say Tesla cars have it, which current generation does (with help of additional cameras and a mini super computer). If you ask about the old car which were supposed to have it, you'll get no answer or "Booooring! Next question...."
I’m finding out there are a lot of promised things that look like they may never come to be, and all mention of it disappears hoping it’ll be forgotten.

Yes, I’ve heard it bounces the radar off the road. Sometimes if you are stopped at a light the car 2 ahead of you comes up on the screen even if the camera can’t see it. It was one of the early things that made me say to myself “I need to get that car someday”. Here’s the YouTube video that convinced me.

Many cars today can see under the car directly in front of you using radar. I forgot which one it was, but there was a commercial running for a while showing how the cars emergency brakes worked because it detected that the car 2 cars ahead suddenly stopped.

I got 19.8.3 last week and only thing that happened for me is the app now will not open doors/trunk/frunk. Will flash lights horn and will lock car but will not open anything. Multiple resets and unpairing/pairing Bluetooth and deleting and reinstalling app did nothing. Dog mode yes. Last 3 updates have broken something....last 2 prior bricked my Navigation needing service. We’re out of warranty since Jan 1. Heavy sigh

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
I got 19.8.3 last week and only thing that happened for me is the app now will not open doors/trunk/frunk. Will flash lights horn and will lock car but will not open anything. Multiple resets and unpairing/pairing Bluetooth and deleting and reinstalling app did nothing. Dog mode yes. Last 3 updates have broken something....last 2 prior bricked my Navigation needing service. We’re out of warranty since Jan 1. Heavy sigh

how much would service cost for this if update bricked Navigation ? Tesla needs to allow roll back of updates if you don't want them, for out of warranty cars

For pre AP2 cars, the best thing you can hope for from an update is that they didn't break anything, or decided on yet newer, coller looking but less functional UI. I wish I could get 8.1 and only security fixes.

Honestly at this point, the only thing I am waiting for is better smartphone integration. I know there was news this week that Elon is going to focus on better voice control, and of course no mention of voice texting. I would pay money for CarPlay! I am perfectly fine with the way AP1 is, but I didn’t buy my vehicle with broken promises.

Honestly at this point, the only thing I am waiting for is better smartphone integration. I know there was news this week that Elon is going to focus on better voice control, and of course no mention of voice texting. I would pay money for CarPlay! I am perfectly fine with the way AP1 is, but I didn’t buy my vehicle with broken promises.
It's been speculated many times on TMC - MCU1 doesn't have sufficient hardware to handle CarPlay. Maybe MCU2, if not, then maybe MCU3 or MCU4 some day. Unfortunately Tesla infotainment is completely proprietary, so there is no way to purchase 3rd party infotainments like on other cars.

So I've just had update to 2019.8.3 on AP1 P90DL. Now has Ludicrous+, does anyone actually know if this is a power increase or just an icon change from Max Battery. I can't seem to find a definitive answer?

If you look back a page to my release notes for insane+ it says it is just a new button that does the same as max battery, so I assume the same for ludicrous+, but what, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds is not fast enough for ya?

• Funny
Reactions: Vegas
After about 300 km of driving on AP1 with the new update 2019.8.4 I can confidently say there is no difference noticed compared to 2018.50.6.

edit: actually, I had a peculiar incident I would like to share and see if someone else with AP1 has noticed something similar: After downloading 2019.8.4 I am following a midsize SUV on AP with a consistent gap of 2 seconds in the right lane (number 3 position on the stalk I think). All of a sudden my car brakes, and I immediately think of the phantom braking I have read about but my car has never exhibited, and wonder if the new update has introduced this. Half a second later I then notice the car in front of me braking, hard. As I start to turn into the left lane I think: What? there is no way AP knew that the car in front was going to brake...and half way in the left lane I then notice the car in front of the SUV I was following braking. The SUV almost rear ended him.

So the radar was able to register the car in front of the car in front of me slowing?, so AP slowed my car? I know I have seen commercials from other car companies claiming this was possible with radar, but I have not noticed that before in this car. That is awesome if that is the case. But I have no way of knowing what update that might have been part of.

Does radar do this?

[Note: I wrote this before i turned the page and saw the post above that actually shows the video i am referring to. Sorry to be redundant!] I remember seeing a video of an accident that was avoided by an AP1 car in Germany, probably about 2 years ago, in just this fashion. After the split with MobilEye, Elon had made a point of announcing that the AP1 logic was being changed to make more use of the radar and to de-emphasize the camera. He (or someone else at Tesla) specifically said then that the radar could "see" what the 2nd car ahead was doing, at least in some cases, not necessarily all. So, if this recollection is accurate, that sort of behavior is not new to AP1, but most likely does not happen all that often (or is not noticed all that often).

[Note: I wrote this before i turned the page and saw the post above that actually shows the video i am referring to. Sorry to be redundant!] I remember seeing a video of an accident that was avoided by an AP1 car in Germany, probably about 2 years ago, in just this fashion. After the split with MobilEye, Elon had made a point of announcing that the AP1 logic was being changed to make more use of the radar and to de-emphasize the camera. He (or someone else at Tesla) specifically said then that the radar could "see" what the 2nd car ahead was doing, at least in some cases, not necessarily all. So, if this recollection is accurate, that sort of behavior is not new to AP1, but most likely does not happen all that often (or is not noticed all that often).

And you know what? I actually had video of that incident, but I forgot to download it and since it is on a 16 GB card it wrote over top of it a few hours later. Damn.

It's been speculated many times on TMC - MCU1 doesn't have sufficient hardware to handle CarPlay. Maybe MCU2, if not, then maybe MCU3 or MCU4 some day. Unfortunately Tesla infotainment is completely proprietary, so there is no way to purchase 3rd party infotainments like on other cars.

I believe CarPlay (and Android Auto) use the phone as the brains/processing. It wouldn't tax the MCU at all except what is needed to mirror the video display which I would imaging the MCU would handle just fine.

I just got my used S today and during testing, app worked perfectly with opening trunk/frunk/unlock car. Went home and it prompted me to update so I did. Now I' m on 2018.50.6 and in same boat as you, those things dont work anymore :( Can still turn on air and vent roof.. but can't unlcok things.