Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

rsg123

Jan 1, 2018
Sacramento
Sorry if this was discussed earlier but:

1. what year & model is your Tesla

2. where & how did you get your eMMC chip upgraded to 32GB for $800

I'd love to have my 2015 P85D's browser responsive again... hopefully without having to refequently do a double scroll wheel hold down RESET

@TonyT did the repair in Southern California, including taking the MCU apart and putting it back together. If you mail it in and can do the disassembly and assembly it is cheaper. I have a late 2014 85 (AP1) with 85k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon

wdolson

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Sorry if this was discussed earlier but:

1. what year & model is your Tesla

2. where & how did you get your eMMC chip upgraded to 32GB for $800

I'd love to have my 2015 P85D's browser responsive again... hopefully without having to refequently do a double scroll wheel hold down RESET

There are some aftermarket suppliers. I believe @Ingineer owns a company that fixes MCUs including fixing the flash memory in MCUs that will fail after a while due to too many log writes. They can probably upgrade the memory too.

immolated

Oct 3, 2016
Las Vegas
I had my eMMC chip upgraded to 32GB for $800. I am glad I went this route instead of waiting for this $2500 upgrade. The MCU is responsive again (including browser!) and I have no use for the infotainment stuff.

I don't understand how upgrading to 32 GB fixes the browser. My browser was working fine until v10 update like everyone else, so it's clearly a software glitch. Are you sure this isn't confirmation bias? Do you have the browser open daily with waze running, and have you had it work for multiple weeks on end without rebooting?

rsg123

Jan 1, 2018
Sacramento
I don't understand how upgrading to 32 GB fixes the browser. My browser was working fine until v10 update like everyone else, so it's clearly a software glitch. Are you sure this isn't confirmation bias? Do you have the browser open daily with waze running, and have you had it work for multiple weeks on end without rebooting?

To be honest I’m not a huge user of the browser as you describe. All I can say is that it was completely unusable before the upgrade and now I can do my occasional web browsing easily. I will start using Waze and report back.

stakker

Feb 4, 2019
TX
Taking the risk of installing 8.1 here at work right now. Will report back on the results after the drive back home.

2015 S85

stakker

Feb 4, 2019
TX
FFACF46A-E276-4D64-89CF-BBB17B1DD7A6.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: RobK

stakker

Feb 4, 2019
TX
Nevermind, I see it in one of your previous posts. Looking for someone with a P90DL to do this. I'm 150 miles from home supercharging. I might do it while I'm here. No balls... :)

haha well 2020.12 have the same notes as 8.1. Will drive around later.

Grumble

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
Update complete and back on the road. So far, identical to 2020.4.1. No new visualizations. Everything working fine. Max battery and launch mode perfect. Supercharging rate picked up where it left off. Autopilot still really smooth. Browser is still borked but I think that's an emmc issue and not firmware related. I'll update this after my 150 mile drive if anything changes.

• Informative
Reactions: RobK and aesculus

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC